Your First knife

Thought to open this for very special knives being our first knives . To become such dedicated collectors it has to start from somewhere .
I wouldn't trade this for any other . Is my sons now . I'm a 67 model and bought this for $12 AU in the early 70's new in box . It is my first knife .
I made a leather sheath with my dad for it . It has rotted away . I am very interested in any info about the Tangs especially the liner stamp .
For all the love and care I gave this knife as a young boy it never made me breakfeast . I have been wanting to share this with you all for months . Best regards Jamieson .
100_2714.jpg

100_2715.jpg

100_2718.jpg

Last edited:
My first knife was an Imperial Kamp King. Bought it at age 7 from Wal-Mart for a price that I'm sure was less than $10. (Not a lot of income at 7!) I remember it well, I was so proud of it. I gave it up though when the handle scales/ bolsters fell off. They were pressed sheetmetal as best I remember. Still wish I had it though, but you don't think of things back then as you do at 30. Congrats on being wise enough to hold on to yours!

Chuck

Last edited:
Nice one! I see you discovered the secret coded message inside too! Few people know to look inside the liner for the serial number!

I may have a few of those around here somewhere....
2iqoeh2.jpg

My first knife was so long ago I really don't remember what it was anymore. As kids, we could buy "dime knives", likely Imperial Jackmasters, and they would outlast our ability to keep up with them.

We bought them either at Ralph's grocery store in town or from Eddings "Rolling Store", a big panel van that traveled all of the gravel farm roads twice a week selling hardware, candy and drinks. In either case, we could take our pick of knife from the display card, buy a ginger cookie "Stage Plank", and get a bottled Coke for fifty cents. Sometimes if I hadn't lost my latest knife I could get a stamped metal cap gun and five rolls of caps for my dime instead. And if I had managed to save my last Coke bottle, I had an extra nickle to buy a bag of peanuts to put in my coke!:D

Why thankyou dear Codger you have jaw dropped me twice now with the Kings ransom of 897UH's . I can't type as I keep on looking up for some reason . I thought the drool thing was a old wives tale .
And thanks Chuck that one was on my hit list as well . I'm lucky to have this for my son a few women problems sure does clean out a blokes camp . I have sole custody of my first three kids at least .
Thats what most kids are missing nowadays the innocents of youth and the respect for their elders .
My eldest son has scored well he has his great great grandfathers knife . Will have to teach him how to take a photo though.
100_2753.jpg

My 1st was bought for me when I was 5. iT WAS 1971, AND WE WERE AT
"Skaggs" drugstore In Great Falls, Mt where I was born and raised. They had some cool old board displays with colonials and the ever popular "camp kings" and then they had a huge display of inexpensive Japanese pocket knives in an enclosed case with "Sabre" brand knives of all sorts. A visual gold mine for any kid growing up in those days. I saw a 2 blade jack-about the size of an old timer 104OT jack. It had faux black bone handles and shiney chrome blades-so awesome! I was like a puppy looking at a bone behind glass, haha!
My mom said no way, but my dad convinced her. I lost it or traded it somewhere along the way. That started it all for me, I'm sick with knife fever and have only about 200 pocket knives and 30 or 40 hunters.
The only other knife that was given to me by my parents is my Uncle Henry 227UH given to me for my 11th b-day and still my favorite hunting knife. I now have several similar folding hunters like it, but it is my most treasured. Think I'll take it on a hike today as we are driving up to the mountains above San Bernardino to let our dogs get some fresh air!

My first knife was around 1964-65, a blue plastic handled Cub Scout knife, with a gold diamond shaped shield. It was probably an Imperial, maybe a Camillus. We used to clean it by plunging into wet river sand, and sharpen in on a concrete step. We knew to choose concrete made with a fine sand. I don't think it was too sharp, but I remember cleaning bluegills with it.

897UH_NY_USA.jpg

And Jamo, here is one of those stamped like yours, this one is R83519, in the original package.

Last edited:
I think my first knife may have been the blue Camillus scout knife, which I never really liked. This was about 1954. Soon after I had another one with a sterling silver scout shield, which I DID really like. That disappeared and I got a yellow Case, maybe a 5247, but I'm not sure. What I DO remember was that I was up in the "Bullet," a carny ride in Baker, Montana at the county fair in 195(8?). The operator knew his stuff; he juggled those hydraulic levers until he had shaken everyone's pocket goodies out, and his shill leaped around in the dust, picking up quarters, watches and pocket knives, and streaked out into the anonymous crowd. Then over the years I had lots of guns and knives and fishing poles, all regarded as tools, and well loved. Jump ahead to the winter of '07/'08. My son sent me a Buck Alpha Hunter folder with thumb stud and modern steel, with certain personal information engraved on the blade. I was amazed to see something so lovely and so unfamiliar, but, ironically, it led me to traditional knives, and OMG!!!

I just dug out my oldest 897UH and it is serial #A4424. Like those above, all blades are marked Stainless, and the master is:

Schrade
Walden
N.Y. U.S.A.
Stainless

with the pattern number on the back side of the tang.

I just dug out my oldest 897UH and it is serial #A4424. Like those above, all blades are marked Stainless, and the master is:

Schrade
Walden
N.Y. U.S.A.
Stainless

with the pattern number on the back side of the tang.

Pattern number on a Schrade Walden 897UH was a rare stamp, wasn't it? :thumbup:I've got five of them and none have the pattern stamped on back or front.

I have an 897 UH with a KeenKutter shield and etch, 1869 to 1969, serial #02908. No pattern #. Aren't we off-topic?

My 1st knife was a switchblade from Japan about 1960.. Mom had that one tucked away for me to find many years later after her passing. Its stored with is other springy friends. Carried a LB5 for many years before I knew what a knife collector was. Had a junk draw full of knives most turned out to be Imperial and Schrades.

My first knife was around 1964-65, a blue plastic handled Cub Scout knife, with a gold diamond shaped shield. It was probably an Imperial, maybe a Camillus. We used to clean it by plunging into wet river sand, and sharpen in on a concrete step. We knew to choose concrete made with a fine sand. I don't think it was too sharp, but I remember cleaning bluegills with it.

897UH_NY_USA.jpg

And Jamo, here is one of those stamped like yours, this one is R83519, in the original package.
That is the same box Thawk . And that secret number . Codger knows how many times I checked over that knife just by the picture I posted of it .
The salesman told me the box was collectable and I thought he was pulling my leg . I didn't know what a collector was then either ,couldn't imagine ,was horrified that people had new knives like this & not use them .
After my first knife other uncles gave me old Australian Army clasp knives ,Whittingslowe,Sterling . I didn't value them as they had no Staglon . I was given a knife with a button as well from a Uncle like ULV's knife ,my grandparents asked nicely to borrow it ,have not seen it since . The spring was disabled anyway . Probably thought I was Fonzie or something .
Thats what it is about as you know Larry ,Mums know and how special is that . Thankyou .
My mum kept my 897UH when I got married ,hows that for intuition .:)

Last edited:
my first knife was a Colonial. had Prov USA on main blade and USA on back blade.

Attachments

• First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 01 resize.jpg
    First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 01 resize.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 10
  • First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 02 resize.jpg
    First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 02 resize.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
  • First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 03v resize.jpg
    First Knife Colonial Prov. USA 03v resize.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
Back