Your opinion on Emerson Knives

Love them. They seem to like to be used. They have their flaws as do most every knife. Hence why I haven't found the perfect one but Emerson is definitely one of my favorite brands

They seem to like to be used? HaHaHa.

My favorite Emerson is the CQC7.

Thankfully Protech makes an automatic version which retails for slightly less. Love it. HK Patrol/BM Casbah is essentially the same knife with a grivory handle, I have that one too.

I haven't handled a "real" Emerson but the overall negative opinion and what I can see from specs & pictures is a serious turnoff.

Emersons blades are ground near flawlessly. They would rival the best in the business. Cutting edge is straight and even. Primary bevels are always perfect. EKI is a relatively small company, thats why their prices are higher than say spyderco.
People forget that these knives are made for a purpose. They're not slicers but cutting tools. Working knives. 154cm follows this by being a tough steel, an all around steel.

Last edited:
They seem to like to be used? HaHaHa.

Yes, you correctly quoted a quote of my comment.. You do realize to "correctly" use a knife has to do with the edge and not how you can pry, baton, spine wack or any of those other ridiculous tests.

There is a reason why a slip joint is a completely acceptable pocket knife.

So again, I seem to need to be more specific. "to me" they seem to want to be used because I could care less about breaking them than other knives I own. They're simple "tools" that are easily maintained with little effort and a lot of times without problems. Also do not care about how smooth or any of the other qualities that everyone these days rave about.

They open with a machine like grace, when tuned right. It's a perfect thwack sound. While I wouldn't say it's easy, you can adjust the hell out of them. I enjoyed the double detent. I like the wave. F&F has been fine, they wear nicely.

Overpriced? Bought my Commander used for $100, Horseman for $130.... You do get a nice warranty. I've bought my buddy x2 Sebenzas. He lost the first. In my humble opinion they were more overpriced. To each his own.

One small complaint, I'd prefer the chisel grind on the other side.

I met Earnest at work once, nice guy.

I mean, a nice finish doesn't make a knife not a "user knife" right? I certainly appreciate the functionality of a knife but at the same time, I surely consider how my knife looks like when I am about to spend 200 plus on a single knife.

There is a certain intangible thing about Emersons. It's probably a combination of aesthetics in look, ergos and imperfection. And the wave.

Best thing is to buy a kemerson and try it out. It almost has that intangible thing down. Almost. I suggest either the Kershaw Emerson CQC-6K or 8K. The 4K as shown in a prior post has too delicate a tip. The 8K is a left hand chisel tanto for the lols, it's pretty fun opening tins with. It also has 8Cr13MoV not CTS-XHP so is not too powerful for bananas. It's one of my favourites.

... Or a waved endura or delica, I guess and then see if you really want to go plonk down the cash for a real one.

Full disclosure of bias: I have a cqc-7 and 8 and really like them.

I was aching for a Super Commander. Had my dealer order me one. Put it in hand, and I was like........"that's it"??? $300 bucks for this? You gotta be kidding me. It felt flimsy, and light. Fit and finish was sloppy, and I wasn't wild about a flathead screw for the pivot. I bought a ZT 0200 instead, and put $150 back into my pocket.

I was aching for a Super Commander. Had my dealer order me one. Put it in hand, and I was like........"that's it"??? $300 bucks for this? You gotta be kidding me. It felt flimsy, and light. Fit and finish was sloppy, and I wasn't wild about a flathead screw for the pivot. I bought a ZT 0200 instead, and put $150 back into my pocket.

Interesting. I bought my two Emersons second hand, they are perfect. While the finishing is typical Emerson, I saw no bent or stripped fasteners or play or slop. There are no gaps between the scales and liners.

Maybe that's what a new Emerson buyer should do, buy second hand from someone (they trust) who has vetted the knife?

Im calling bull on this. Super commander flimsy. Bull crap

Im just curious as to why the material is not worth the money.
They were pretty innovative in the mid-'90s. The combination of titanium liner lock, G10 scales, Teflon washers, Americanized tanto, chisel grind, 154CM steel, and pocket clip pretty much set the standard for "tactical knvies" about 20 years ago. But they haven't progressed much at all since that time. Even back then, companies like Benchmade presented Emerson's designs with better fit-and-finish ... and at a lower price to boot.

The game has moved on quite a bit since then. These days, $200-250 gets you premium steels, more interesting scale materials, heavier duty construction, and a much higher standard of fit-and-finish.

he does that specifically for reverse grip
It's pretty well documented that Emerson chose to ground the "presentation" side of the blade because it looked better that way (particularly in photos). I remember reading this in several magazine interviews back in the day.

Those Emersons work out perfect for me. I carry em lefty...just perfect.
If you're using them in your left hand, then they are of course ground the right way! LOL

Great ergos, solid constriction, adequate lock. Steel and chisel grind suck IMHO. Upgrade the steel at least to CPM-154 (or better, CTS-XHP) and offer a true V-grind or Scandi and I might consider buying.

Im calling bull on this. Super commander flimsy. Bull crap

Dude please. That Super Commander was lame. It did nothing for me. The ZT 0200 I got instead smoked it in every way. Fit and finish, build quality, 3/8 in pivot, ergo's, half the price.....better knife in all catagories. Oh.....and I edc'd that very ZT for over 10 years, and I still have it.

Dude please. That Super Commander was lame. It did nothing for me. The ZT 0200 I got instead smoked it in every way. Fit and finish, build quality, 3/8 in pivot, ergo's, half the price.....better knife in all catagories. Oh.....and I edc'd that very ZT for over 10 years, and I still have it.
10 4 but still bull that is was flimsy

10 4 but still bull that is was flimsy

Cool. Ok I'll admit maybe "flimsy" was the wrong word. It just felt light, and not that heavy duty to me. I wanted an Emerson bad. I had high hopes...I really did. So much so that I put a deposit on it, and had my local guy order me one. I expected greatness, but it just left me flat....especially for $300 bucks. Truth be told if that SC was around $150-$200 I probably would have bought it.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I do have it. It looks real salty now, but it still flips like butter, has zero blade play in any direction, perfectly centered blade, and it has a real shitty edge now because I cant seem to get the hang of sharpening that recurve.
If I wasn't a dumbass with pics they would be on here. I can send plenty of them to an email if you want for proof.

Cool. Ok I'll admit maybe "flimsy" was the wrong word. It just felt light, and not that heavy duty to me. I wanted an Emerson bad. I had high hopes...I really did. So much so that I put a deposit on it, and had my local guy order me one. I expected greatness, but it just left me flat....especially for $300 bucks. Truth be told if that SC was around $150-$200 I probably would have bought it.
It does suck, as much as i love the brand, that people are sometimes let down by what they get.

I do have it. It looks real salty now, but it still flips like butter, has zero blade play in any direction, perfectly centered blade, and it has a real shitty edge now because I cant seem to get the hang of sharpening that recurve.
If I wasn't a dumbass with pics they would be on here. I can send plenty of them to an email if you want for proof.

Ya, I suck at pics. Seriously though, 10 year old user, find someone who's smarter than photobucket.

Back