Your own personal modded 14 giveaway..who wants in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
So here's the deal guys. I've givin some knives to charities and such but never really done anything specific for you Becker guys. Just one short year ago I joined BF and the Becker community was the only group that embraced me with open arms. Now, I'm selling my knives all over the country and even a few across the pond......who woulda thunk it. So. To give back, I've been known to do a few Becker mods. Its not what I wanna be known for, but the time has come for me to do something fun. So here it is.

I have a brand new in the box bk14 donated by Murphnuge for another project that never resinated. Its just sitting in my shop getting no use so here's the contest. YOU name the mod you want to see done on it. Anything goes. Mild to wild. The mod that is most interesting to me, I will do and send it to the person that named that mod. That's right! Just come up with a cool idea, I'll make it and send it to ya. Be creative. I like a challenge.

THE RULES:

You gotta be 18

You have to be a regular poster on the Becker forum. You don't have to have a number. But likely if its the first time I see your name I'll probably disregaurd.

I don't care where you live, and I will cover the shipping as long as it in the states just because I'm a nice guy, but if you live across the pond, you will be responsible for the shipping.

No whinners. This is a back burner as time premits project. I will try to turn it around in a decent amount of time, but irregaurdless of how long it takes wheather it be 1 week or 1 year. Don't Bitch! Your gettin a free knife!

Here are some pics of some of my more popular mods

The Remora pistol bayonet
2012-09-01175312.jpg

Sleepybadgers BK5
2012-07-26171155.jpg

Murphnuges BK7 bayonet (Beckernet)
2012-04-19185909.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, almost forgot....here's a pic of the 14 that's going on the gurny
2013-01-18125238.jpg

I will let your guys gears turn on this for a while and Murph and I will pick which mod we like the best when you guys stop posting ideas or at the end of the month, whichever comes first. Good luck!

Last edited:
Id like to see a 14 with a tweener sized handle out of a nice wood pinned on and a clip point.

Thanks. Ive always thought that the 14 would be a perfect bushcraft knife (for me) if the handle was longer. I'd like to see a 14 with removable scales (either wood or micarta if possible) that extended beyond the butt of the handle so I could have my whole hand gripping the knife. I love the portability of the 14 so I would like the scales to be removable so I could toss them in a cargo pocket or in my bag. I would like some spine jimping near the handle and the tip for more grip. I'd also like a grind more conducive to bushcrafting. It could be called the "Take-down Bushcrafter"----to add more detail-----Dark Brown Leather Dangler sheath (dragon leather if you got it) that is capable of securing the 14 with our without the scales attached. It also needs to have a place to put an allen wrench for the scales, a ferro rod and possibly a mini altoids sized pouch for tinder. The handle should be wood (dark wood like cocobolo or dymondwood--I have some dymondwood scales you could use) The blade should have a FFG with a mirror finish (I think that would look sweet with the dark scales and sheath) I would like a lanyard made with the hair from Bladite's head (I hear its stronger than silk or steel cable-you wanted outside the box-paracord works too if he wont give up the hair-) I would like to keep the handle shape as close to the original shape as possible--I like how the curve acts sort of like a choil--if you cant do all that because its too difficult or something--how about just grinding it into a mini M18:D

Last edited:
Gonna be honest here. I like the current handle shape but I wish it was a bit longer. Kinda like the izula 2. That and some jimping and the finger guard ground flush with the handle/blade. If that makes sense.

Thanks tod:)

Id like the 14 to be modded to match my 710 pocket sheath. Somehow match the python pattern, whether it be by grinding, ceracote, etc....... and id like my factory scales modded to match too. If the blade could be reground to somehow match the silhouette of a snake, thats be amazing.

Heres my 710 sheath for reference.
IMG_20130111_145602.jpg

Thanks for the chance!!!
Brandon

I've been wanting a longer skeleton handle for a long time I just don't know how to do that kind thing and I haven't had a chance to talk with ethan about it so....yeah.

agreed great minds :thumbup:

Awesome stuff.

Todd, you are a Prince among Men.

Moose

Now you knuckleheads know if ya all say the same thing then I can't give it away! It wouldn't be fair. Dig deep guys! Think outside the box, id like to see one with a longer handle to but if 3 poeple say it who would be declared the winner? To combat this, let's be very specific. Handle material, sheath if you want one. Like I said, be creative. Don't be afraid to say something crazy. Murphs bayonet sounded stupid until one was actually made. Go crazy guys!

i think some spine jimping a strip and polish with some wood grips that extend the gripping area say about an inch and convex the edge. duracoat it maybe in toxic green with an orange kydex sheath with my becker head number on the front hehe perfect i think! ohh and g10 grips halp orange half toxic green!

Last edited:
BK14 Folder with Micarta scales. Ever made a folder before TM? I can do a sketch if needed.

BK14 Folder with Micarta scales. Ever made a folder before TM? I can do a sketch if needed.

I have made a few folders. Don't offer them in lineup because the time they take I cannot offer them for resonable prices. I would suspect it would be easier to start from scratch to make a folder opposed to modding a existing fixed blade into one. But I like the way your thinkin.

I would like to see you turn that into a chute knife. I have an idea or two.

Dig deep guys! Think outside the box

Three BK14's bolted together through the handle hole with a butterfly nut so you can fan 'em out into a throwing star.

um...

a more compact handle with a bottle opener!!

wait a minute....

!!!!

Two BK14's mod'd to flat grinds on opposite sides, bolted to a pivot and converted to a pair of shears!

hmm, too much belly for that.

hmm...

bend the handle backwards a bit to arch the spine and the build a jig to use the knife as a plane blade, reversible for use as a veggie-slicing mandolin!

(you can tell me to shaddup now :D)

Oh shizzle...

strip it.
anneal it.
sand to 360...
re-heat-treat, and clay quench...
polish and etch for a hamon.

I'd like to give it a totally different purpose, while still remaining as sturdy as a regular becker.
My idea would therefore be some kind of gentleman's fixed blade, for restaurant/family dinners and such.

Here's a bad paint concept that still needs some explaining:
f3i1sn.jpg

I started from a stock Eskabar image and hypothetically did the following:
-Reground the blade so that it's not as high, did keep the upper stock 'original'. Couldn't do it, but would add some fine jimping(as in Spyderco delica), very thin near the beginning of the handle.
-Ground the fingerguard away.
-Re-add a sharpening choil, could be less pronounced than the original one.
-I'd put a full high convex on the blade, and mirror polish all of the metal (also the handle, indeed).
-Add carbon fiber scales the generally follow the shape of the handle, only the fingerchoil would be shallower than the original model. The CF should contrast nicely with the polished handles and blade
-Add brass pins or screws (that wouldn't matter for me), 'cause that just looks classy. *Maybe even a brass tube as lanyard hole, but I'm not sure it would come out nice. Perhaps it should need one screw/pin less in that case).

Thanks for the chance! This is a really cool idea and gesture of yours!

Awesome contest Todd! I loved the bolstered handle with the light and dark wood and mosaic pins you did on that Skinner around the holidays. Slap something like that on stripped and polished up 14 that's been ground down to more of a spear/kephart-style convex-edged blade and slide it into a slim fold over leather pocket sheath, maybe with a belt/pocket clip, maybe not. Hooooweee! That'd be real nice!

EDIT:
A stripped 14 with slim handle like this is just about the ideal fixed blade EDC IMHO
2012-12-27142548.jpg

Last edited:
Id like to see something along the lines of a traditional hunter

• Convexed edge
  • mirror polished blade
  • thumb jimping
  • add a finger choil
  • Some combination of leather, and hardwood for the handle. (maybe some wood scales with leather inlay'ed at needed areas for grip)
  • finish it off in a nice leather pouch style neck sheath.

Or if you're partial to some welding turn it into a B-Krambit

• bigger finger hole
  • regrind the spine to make it more stabby
  • Micarta or G-10 scales
  • flat black or grey duracoat

I'm going to sketch up some pictures and add em later.

Last edited:
How about a 14 with a hollow handle and cap for storage? You know like those crappy survival knives, but better! Also a place to tie off your fishing kit so you can use the handle itself as the real while the knife is sheathed. Kinda like you would with a hobo can fishing rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back