Your strangeness on the evil bay?

Pack Rat

Gold Member
My latest strangness on the evil bay is a Buck advertised as a Scuba Titanium. Pic is clearly a Mentor 470. Scuba? maybe..... TI....not hardly.
Seller won't respond to email...

Was cheap entertainment for a few minutes.

Whats yours?.....naturally without listing the link or number.

My favorite is the one for a current stock fixed blade that said it was rare - even has the 'rare' Idaho stamp! Yep. 2005 was a rare year... Why do folks bid more on current manufacture items there than they can get them for locally? I guess it's the gambling - or the 'quest'.

Stainz

My favorite is the one for a current stock fixed blade that said it was rare - even has the 'rare' Idaho stamp! Yep. 2005 was a rare year... Why do folks bid bore on current manufacture items there than they can get them locally? I guess it's the gambling - or the 'quest'.

Stainz

Maybe I better hang on to all those "rare" Idahos.... :eek::rolleyes:
I do think they will be valuable collectors one of these days,,,maybe for my great grandchildren...:D

Maybe that seller we chatted about here in the forum a few months ago.... his ad said all the new Buck knives were crap and then put a link to this forum (where we generally praise the new Bucks) :confused:

(I'll try to find the link to that thread)

Thanks Messy...
I needed to read that link again to start my day off right :(

Like waking up next to one of my ex's.

That post really frosted my muffins back in the day.

As for what is going on in the bay? Haven't been there lately. Got no bait to fish with.

I find it interesting that many knives that would be avaiable in the Buck custom shop are bid up over the custom shop price......and the custom shop does not charge postage! As they say......one born every minute. :confused:

Thanks Messy...
I needed to read that link again to start my day off right :(

Can one of y'all post the link to that auction??? It's finished now so no problem posting it. ;) (Or at least post the auction number; I think I'm skilled enough to search for it) :rolleyes:

My latest strangness on the evil bay...
Whats yours?.....naturally without listing the link or number.

The most amusing Buck knife strangeness was a guy selling a 560 with the knife advertised as having a "Titanium blade"... :D

I have two 560's, both have the stainless blades...but they have a goodly portion of iron in the SS alloy, as they are both magnetic...

I got into a heated discussion on another forum about Titanium (I hate working it), the gist of my side of the argument was..."Titanium is stronger than aluminum, but not as strong as steel...Titanium is lighter than steel, but not as light as aluminum"...Obviously there are various alloys of all three which can modify their properties, but the statements are correct in general... :p

The most amusing Buck knife strangeness was a guy selling a 560 with the knife advertised as having a "Titanium blade"... :D

I have two 560's, both have the stainless blades...but they have a goodly portion of iron in the SS alloy, as they are both magnetic...

I'm wondering if its the same seller advertising this scuba titanium...:rolleyes:

Ima bettin that other one has already rolled off the ebay archives...

Au contraire, herr topol - the Custom Shop charged me $10 s/h on my first order (A damascus blade...) claiming that the free shipping was for web orders. I, the poster child for internet ID paranoia, called my order & MC number in. Oddly, he didn't charge me for s/h on my second order. Actually, after a week of having said knife, a BG-42, in my hot sweaty hands, and no bill or MC receipt, I started calling & e-mailing demanding they take payment. I guess they were helping my Christmas buying, but I persisted... they finally took their payment on that second knife - and no s/h that time. I guess I taught them. I'm an idiot!

Stainz

Stanz, I don't understand. If you call an order in there is s & h charge but if you put the same order in via the net no s & h.

I recently ordered a custom via the net and remember specifically during the order process it was noted on the Buck site that there was no charge for s & h. Also, there is a 0.00 charge for s & h on my invoice for the knife I ordered. :confused:

there are a lot of other busness that offer incentives to use on line only!
man power to answer the phone fo one is not cheep !
i know many can take a lot of time like me asking well what about this?

that post wont show as it is over so many days old...that i belive was were some one was upset over a custom they got and were unhappy with...not un like ophen...

yes on the evil e there is some one offering a rare limited edition one time offering of a 112 Fonders Edition with signture of the founder on it! only 125 on opening bid... or was it 150?

these people are fishing for suckers and fools to part them from their money!!
of course many of us experanced bucksters can likely relate paying more then normal for a knife we wanted Right Then!! i know i have... when i see some eye candy i like i check First on my resorces then i may bid...
i did a buy it now on a knife but i had gottent the modle numbers confused and paid too much for some thing i did not want!! oh well live and learn!!!

I find it interesting that many knives that would be avaiable in the Buck custom shop are bid up over the custom shop price......and the custom shop does not charge postage! As they say......one born every minute. :confused:

OR

People bid the custom shop knives over retail because they can have them within a week and don't have the "long" Custom Shop wait.
There is something to be said for instant gratification ;)

Only had one negative experience... bought a 70's vintage 110 (poor pictures -- should be a tell), knife to be shipped USPS priority, or so the description stated. Snaged it at a reasonable price.

Over a week goes by, no knife. Send an email asking for status. Seller makes excuses, then blames mother for choosing the wrong method of shipment! (it was sent ground...) I nail seller telling them to take responsibility. Seller gives me grief because I did not respond when knife arrives.. tell them that the knife was mailed wrong method and that it was misrepresented as a 1970's knife and that it was actually made in 1991 based on tang stamp. Seller blames the person that they bought it from...

yea i know on thoes
guy has gold etch knife shaged good price ,,, usps MO
never got knife...
complained and he produced a dlivery comf no. some thing delivered but was not that so no knife
filed with ebay ... seller no longer listed..
on any thing other then pay pal and not a club or known forum member ...
i need knife for aprovel first ! i have a good rep!

I bid on a Buck 110 and won it on ebay, got it in the mail today, The seller advertised it to be a 110 from the late 70's, he said the blade it inscribed First Place with month/day/year(79) and the blade is ethced in gold (trophy buck) with a buck(deer) on the blade also in Gold,
I got the knife and it a 2000 year stamp , the blade isn't inscribed First Place, but the rest is all there, i asked the seller about it and he tells me not to Blow this whole thing out of proportion and he'll give a full refund, what a joke i should have asked for better pictures, It blows my mind when someone puts up a false description and then tells me i blowing things out of proportion, oh ya he also told me not to worry that i got a great deal cuz he sold the brother to this knife earlier and it brought more money and i should be thankful for the good deal i got $72.99 plus shipping and he's been in the cutlery business for 35 years., what a joke,

...The seller advertised it to be a 110 from the late 70's, he said the blade it inscribed First Place with month/day/year(79)...

I've never heard of this "First Place" inscription before...What is it for??? (Or what should it have been for???) :confused:

Back