Your Very First Buck

Bought a 119 in 89 or 90 when I started bow hunting. Still have it and still love it.

The only other buck I have is a recently purchased 715.

I'll get a 110 at some point but I have a mint USA made lb7 so that kind of scratches that itch

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

I still have my first two knives, a 110 and 112. The 110 is fresh from the Spa. There are to many stories to tell but here's a pic.

The Buck I claim as my first is a 303 purchased at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station in 1972 for my dads 63rd birthday. I now have that knife. When I retire next month I plan to carry it daily as he did.

First Buck I owned and still have is a Buck 501 Squire. I bought it around the late 1980's early 1990's. The blade was sharpened by a coworker that worked a lumber mill that screwed it up. So now the blade is about a 1/16" shorter and about 1/8" narrower than when it first came from the factory:(. Oh, well. That's when I started learn to sharpen my own knives after that fiasco. I still have the knife and now I'm thinking of having the blade replaced by Buck.

I love giving Bucks to family and good friends but my father in law will not give one but will demand a nickel or dime. .West Virginia folklore?

I believe the tradition is, give a knife for free and it might sever the relationship. Therefore the custom is to receive a small token in return, a penny, nickel, dime or whatever. No idea where it started...

Before I found this site I was not into knives at all. I was tired of my crappy knife, so I was thinking it might be nice to get a decent knife for a change. I started thinking about the 110 only because I watched a YouTuber (Billstmaxx) receive a finger groove 110 from one of his viewers. I remembered that video from almost two years ago now, and started looking on Amazon to get a baseline idea of different knives. I looked at the 110 first. That's all I needed. :D After reading the enormous amount of positive reviews I ordered one and eagerly awaited its arrival. Prior to receiving the 110 I ordered, a family member heard I was looking for a knife. He gave me a bunch of his old knives (a few days before my 110 arrived), which included a 2-dot 112. I had my 110 now for about a year. I ordered it sometime in November. My 110 would have been my first Buck had it not been for a plucky 2-dot 112 that I was given. I sent that one back to Buck for the spa treatment and it's as good as new now. Since getting those two Bucks, I have added an Alaskan Guide 110, and two Spitfires (a normal one and an SKBlades one). My Buck family is at a healthy 5 members and I'm always on the lookout for the next one. :D

I wanted to use the 110 for EDC purposes, but after getting the Spitfire I use that now. I just love the Spitfire. I do use the 110 every so often. It does a great job cutting homemade bread. :D

I believe the tradition is, give a knife for free and it might sever the relationship. Therefore the custom is to receive a small token in return, a penny, nickel, dime or whatever. No idea where it started...

I can see where this makes sense, particularly when the person receiving the knife cuts themselves and blames you. Making them pay for it shifts the responsibility. I gave a knife as a present last year and immediately realized I needed to provide some just in time training too. Close call.

I do not know where this tradition of giving a coin for a knife originated but I can tell you that it has spred far and wide.
My wife is generally not a superstitious person always makes sure that when ever I give a knife as a gift the recipient has a coin to give in return.
She grew up in Fort Smith N.W.t.
I have no idea where she heard this and she does't recall herself.

A Buck 110, given to me by my parents, sometime in the mid to late 1960's.

Buck 301, gift from my Grandmother, early 1970's (still have it). OH

Buck_301_box_11-24-55.jpg

Back in the spring of 1975. I figured out that some cutting tasks were easier done with a bigger bland than your standard slip joint had. Thinking that running around with a fixed blade hunting knife strapped to my hip all the time, would likely be frowned upon by most people, I decided to get a folding lock blade hunting knife. In the stores local to me I had two choices. The Buck 110 for $22. Or a liner lock knife made by Schrade, probably the Old Timer 250T, for about $10. I chose the Schrade/Old Timer. By that fall the pivot joint on that knife had gotten so loose, that I was afraid the blade might be able to slip past the liner lock. So I gave it to a kid (teenager) I worked with, and bought this Buck. For the next 20 years that knife went everywhere that I did. I have worn out at least 3 and probably 4 leather sheaths. I don't carry it much any more. It has been replace by a new 110 with a nickle silver frame, a drop point blade of s30v, and orange wood scales. Still if you ever hear me say my Buck, it's the old 1975 110 I'm talking about. We have been through a lot together.

001.jpg

O B

My first Buck was a #103 Skinner (hence the screen name :D). That was when I was 18, back in 1975. Bought it at Sears.
I saw it in a "Alaska Sleeping Bag Co." catalog, and just had to have it, a trait I haven't yet outgrown!

A 110 for me and than a 119...
Then a 422OD Bucklite with a green
camo sheath when they first came out
on the market... That's what got me
here...

:) :eek: :)

Sorry. I left it in storage, along with a lot of other knives, when we moved overseas. One day I will get back there and get it out. I just did not want to take the chance of losing it in a foreign country as most places are not as stable as the USA (in spite of our problems).

I notice that for a lot of people the 110 was the gateway into Buck knives.

Buck 301 Stockman purchased at Oshmans Sporting Goods at the mall sometime in either 1975 or '76 when I was 12 or 13 years old. I think I paid around $15.00 for it with lawn mowing money. I had seen the ads in Field and Stream magazine and just thought the stainless steel blades and black saw-cut handles were it! I carried that knife through school and it was in my pocket on my wedding day in December '85. Sadly I lost that knife to a thief in 1993 when that lowlife broke into my house. I carry a 2012 303 in my pocket now most days and have picked up several more Bucks totaling about 18 or so since those days. I did not get a 110 'til I was 49 years old! There is a simple beauty in my minds eye in the 100 and 300 series that keeps me hooked vs. the shoebox full of Case knives that I rotate in and out of my pocket. My favorite? All of them I guess.

My first Buck was a 301 that I inherited around 1984-85. It was my stepdads.I remembered he used it for everything. He use to sit in the living room and use a razor strop to sharpen it.

That knife really started my love for Buck knives. Up until that time I had a lot of different cheaper knives. I carried that knife for years. My second Buck knife was a little 309 Late 80's. It was stolen in school my senior year (1990) from the gym locker :( . I keep searching the bay for an older made (Buck made) 309 . My third Buck was 110 I received 1987 for Christmas after wanting a 110 for years. I thought I had finally arrived. It was stolen from my grandparents house one day when we were going on a church activity. I knew who did it but didn't have proof. :( I still get a little bitter over that one.

Okay, I know you asked for first and I gave you my first three. But I'm working on my first cup of coffee so I'm rambling.

Back