Youtube Video Show

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well, we've cut production once again. This means that my job is less and less time consuming. Rather than taking a day off I'm thinking of starting a youtube channel for Fiddleback Forge. What I'm envisioning is basically a short weekly talk show where we answer questions submitted by y'all here on the forum. Each week we would pick a few questions and I would try to schedule a guest to discuss them with. Dylan has me thinking this is a giant endeavor and we need to hire someone. What I have is one day a week to make this happen and no money to hire someone. In addition, I have no experience doing this. So, what I'm looking at in the beginning are simple videos shot with one camera. I am going to get sound recording equipment, so it won't be all windy and hard to hear. I'd like to progress to more cameras as we go, but that may have to wait until I can afford some help. What do you guys think?

Sounds like a groat idea. I really like the sounds of it,...except the part about cutting production..

Andy:

It would be helpful to get a better understanding of what you are hoping to achieve with this program ? In short.....what is the mission objective ?

Peter

"Well, we've cut production once again." Huh? Really? Did we know that? Is this an extension of that January thread on state of the business? Explains a few things... Perhaps. Is a day a week on You Tube a solution are you asking? This is a Forum, that implies give and take. Are you inviting a dialogue?

Well, we've cut production once again. This means that my job is less and less time consuming. Rather than taking a day off I'm thinking of starting a youtube channel for Fiddleback Forge. What I'm envisioning is basically a short weekly talk show where we answer questions submitted by y'all here on the forum. Each week we would pick a few questions and I would try to schedule a guest to discuss them with. Dylan has me thinking this is a giant endeavor and we need to hire someone. What I have is one day a week to make this happen and no money to hire someone. In addition, I have no experience doing this. So, what I'm looking at in the beginning are simple videos shot with one camera. I am going to get sound recording equipment, so it won't be all windy and hard to hear. I'd like to progress to more cameras as we go, but that may have to wait until I can afford some help. What do you guys think?

Very cool idea Andy. Like others I am sorry to hear about the (temporary I hope) cut in production but the chance to hear/see yourself and others discuss your knives, philosophy and thoughts will be very interesting. The chance to see associated people such as sheath makers and contributors (Mistwalker etc if available) make guest appearances would also be fun.

I watch a ton of youtube videos so it sounds like a great idea to me. Their are not a lot of FF videos on youtube so it would be a great way to promote your business if you produce enough regular content to grow the channel.

Sounds like an excellent idea to market yourself. I am so distant from GA that I'd love to get an inside scoop of the shop and happenings with the crew. The weekly Sneak Peak threads are excellent, but I think this would give you a broader audience.

An extension to this idea could be video reviews/use/woodcraft skills with Fiddleback knives from time to time and I am sure you could rely on help from the great knowledge base from your forum regulars to help in this respect.

I'll be interested to see where this leads. It really is a slow market at the moment. I hope all those with a interest in Fiddleback knives spread the word and get newcomers interested in the tools and also the company. I've been slacking with any online/social media presence since the start of the year. I hope to get the camera out soon and continue to offer my meager contributions.

I've subscribed to the youtube channel, really looking forward to an update. I've pretty much watched every other FF-related video on other channels as well. Andy does a great job talking knives and his company.

Sorry to hear about the cut in production, Andy.

I think Peter is right that getting clear on the mission objective is a crucial first step.

I also think you can try to do it on your own before hiring someone. I am taking a very short video production class through the local community college extension program. The teachers make professional quality commercials with high end equipment. They have also shown us that you can get pretty good quality video with an iPhone or cheap camera and a $30 tripod. They said they often use an iPhone or other cell phone to collect sound in interviews, etc. You can find some cheap clip on microphones that you can plug into your phone. The dedicated audio recorder they use is by ZOOM H4N and goes for around $160 on Amazon.

I got a book that seems to be helpful called - How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. It is easy to read and makes it clear that you need to know your intent for making the video as well as know your audience. There is a lot of useful tips that can be read in a few hours.

Good luck!!

I like the idea. I've been working towards starting a YouTube channel myself. I've got a handful of videos edited from some filming I did last fall through now, but it can be difficult to find time to edit with how busy I keep myself. Editing can take a little longer than you might think so be prepared for that learning curve. Simple videos are much quicker to edit though! I'll be featuring Fiddlebacks in my videos when knives are needed!

FAQ videos could be cool. I also wouldn't mind seeing some videos about how the designs of some knives came about or what inspired those designs. Also comparison videos may be helpful for newcomers.

Good luck! I look forward to what you come up with.

I would suggest that if you're going the video route and you want it to be a legitimate extension of your marketing, scripting, rehearsing, and perhaps even story-boarding go a long ways in keeping the audience engaged and interested. There's nothing worse than watching a video of someone who didn't bother to prepare or can't speak with a logical orientation. Drying paint is more interesting than listening to someone say "uh....uh....uh" over and over again.

Andy, sounds great. I would recommend some super short videos for social media. Quick, to the point... catch some new attention! You know... "This is my Camp Knife, so thick, such metal, the profile is made for these uses..."

:)

Just a thought...

While I appreciate the comments from the experienced video professionals...

There are a TON of folks on YouTube doing quality videos with cheap gear. You can edit video on any laptop. I think you do a little bit of planning on the overall stagey and content, and GO FOR IT. So what if it isn't prefect. This does not need to be 6-figure production fit for TV. Look at the early Prepared Mind stuff or Nutnfancy. A 10-minute video with you talking about how knives are made and walking through the process would be an awesome first episode. I think LT Wright did something like this a while ago. IIRC, it was done with a handheld camera and it was far from "professional." However, I thought it was a great promotional tool and something that anyone that is into knives might watch.

Whatever you do, be yourself! KnivesShipFree has a video of you on their site. You are just talking, but your passion for the business comes across loud and clear. Let people see that no matter what else you do.

Now, get filming!

I think the youtube and/or social media video idea is great.
I also think the biggest return on time investment would come from updating the FF website to include contemporary models with specs, photos and intended uses. This would likely capture interest from web browsers who are interested in knives but not necessarily Bladeforum members (yet). I personally discovered your website before I was ever a member of Bladeforums. To really grow your business you need to attract new customers (most of us members can only buy so many knives).
I also think it would be worthwhile to update your Fiddleback Forge Intro Thread to include descriptions of many of the newer models.
Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like a groat idea. I really like the sounds of it,...except the part about cutting production..

Don't worry. The Monarch is safe...

Andy:

It would be helpful to get a better understanding of what you are hoping to achieve with this program ? In short.....what is the mission objective ?

Peter

Funny. I am hashing that out right here.

Sorry to hear about the cut in production, Andy.

I think Peter is right that getting clear on the mission objective is a crucial first step.

I also think you can try to do it on your own before hiring someone. I am taking a very short video production class through the local community college extension program. The teachers make professional quality commercials with high end equipment. They have also shown us that you can get pretty good quality video with an iPhone or cheap camera and a $30 tripod. They said they often use an iPhone or other cell phone to collect sound in interviews, etc. You can find some cheap clip on microphones that you can plug into your phone. The dedicated audio recorder they use is by ZOOM H4N and goes for around $160 on Amazon.

I got a book that seems to be helpful called - How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. It is easy to read and makes it clear that you need to know your intent for making the video as well as know your audience. There is a lot of useful tips that can be read in a few hours.

Good luck!!

I bought the book. Thanks!!!

I would suggest that if you're going the video route and you want it to be a legitimate extension of your marketing, scripting, rehearsing, and perhaps even story-boarding go a long ways in keeping the audience engaged and interested. There's nothing worse than watching a video of someone who didn't bother to prepare or can't speak with a logical orientation. Drying paint is more interesting than listening to someone say "uh....uh....uh" over and over again.

I hate the uh uh uh's also. I'm sure we'll evolve. Right now I'm just wanting to get started and have something to do on Wednesdays. I can't imagine the todo list if I take a day off.

While I appreciate the comments from the experienced video professionals...

There are a TON of folks on YouTube doing quality videos with cheap gear. You can edit video on any laptop. I think you do a little bit of planning on the overall stagey and content, and GO FOR IT. So what if it isn't prefect. This does not need to be 6-figure production fit for TV. Look at the early Prepared Mind stuff or Nutnfancy. A 10-minute video with you talking about how knives are made and walking through the process would be an awesome first episode. I think LT Wright did something like this a while ago. IIRC, it was done with a handheld camera and it was far from "professional." However, I thought it was a great promotional tool and something that anyone that is into knives might watch.

Whatever you do, be yourself! KnivesShipFree has a video of you on their site. You are just talking, but your passion for the business comes across loud and clear. Let people see that no matter what else you do.

Now, get filming!

Thanks!!! We're going to try to have some fun with it. We have some ideas for funny skits, etc. We're going to feature our knives. We're going to talk to local talent and get some different opinions on the show.

Back