Yuppies are getting on the survivalist bandwagon

Besides, liberal chicks are loose and easy, and we'll want as many of THOSE to make us feel better in a SHTF situation as possible -- so help 'em live, I say! They secretly have the hots for us manly gun-totin' types. What they fear, they get turned on by...

If you're not a gun totin' manly type, just pretend, and your chances of getting laid will still increase...:thumbup:

;) :D

Man I wish I saw this before I typed out the post above...that rules, and that is so true. You would not believe the chicks I got at university by saying things like, "Own guns? Um, obviously! No, I don't know how many. Want to learn to shoot them?" Then I would smack the chick on the butt as we walked to my truck. I would let them try on my cowboy hat and they would be weak in the knees.

Women like other women if they're lesbians (and that's fine too) but if they're straight, surprise surprise, they like MEN!

Liberal Chicks rock.

My wife with DNC Chairman Howard Dean(one of our heroes):thumbup:
arhd.jpg

My wife with .30 M1
wfm1.jpg

Wife with Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine
wife.jpg

With me at hippie festival

wifeandI.jpg

IN the wilderness
pipel3now.jpg

This thread took some weird twists and turns! But goes to show that politics don't have to play a part in our woods bummin' fun. That's another reason I like the title of this forum Wilderness and Survival Skills. Not just a survivalist forum. I can't stand political debate, and avoid that forum here like the plague!

kgd, I think Donovan and Dylside played a pretty good joke on the woman, and that's all it was. Heck, I tend to do those types of things to people with a snotty attitude. It was just designed to shake her off her superiority horse for a minute or two, and that's priceless...:D

You are correct sir. We simply wanted that woman to shut up. Worked like a charm. Robbing people would not be our way. We're of the mind "do what you gotta do to survive as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else." Unless of course you're in situation like the people in the movie The Mist. In which case, the crazy screaming church lady gets it first. hahaha

You would not believe the chicks I got at university by saying things like, "Own guns? Um, obviously! No, I don't know how many. Want to learn to shoot them?" Then I would smack the chick on the butt as we walked to my truck. I would let them try on my cowboy hat and they would be weak in the knees.

LMFAO! Funny! :D

No kidding, I would have headbutted her to death sometime around the opening credits!

That movie was surprisingly good, I thought...

SPOILER!!! MAYBE!!!
I wondered if it were written as an exercise in which all the main character's decisions were the right ones at the time, but the net effect was wrong. All the way through it seemed like he made the right choice, but at the end you're sort of confronted with the fact that if he'd gone the other way on each decision he would have been better off...

All I know is, when that crazy b@#$% yelled, "Deliver the whore!" I'd have been like "NO...my whore. Get your own. We're flirting. I'm making progress here. If she says no, then you can kill her. *turning to the girl* You hear that? Recognize."

i read the article.... it wasn't too bad, nor did i find it offensive in anyway...

there is no harm in folks preparing... even if they are yuppie's...:eek:

we're pretty much ready rock and roll here....

All I know is, when that crazy b@#$% yelled, "Deliver the whore!" I'd have been like "NO...my whore. Get your own. We're flirting. I'm making progress here. If she says no, then you can kill her. *turning to the girl* You hear that? Recognize."

nice, lol

Duck and Cover: It’s the New Survivalism

By ALEX WILLIAMS
Published: April 6, 2008

THE traditional face of survivalism is that of a shaggy loner in camouflage, holed up in a cabin in the wilderness and surrounded by cases of canned goods and ammunition.
Skip to next paragraph
Corbis

DUGOUT A father and daughter enter a Cold War bomb shelter.
Enlarge This Image
Warner Brothers Pictures

ALIVE AND ALONE Will Smith stars in “I Am Legend” as a survivor of a man-made virus, walking New York’s desolate streets.

It is not that of Barton M. Biggs, the former chief global strategist at Morgan Stanley. Yet in Mr. Biggs’s new book, “Wealth, War and Wisdom,” he says people should “assume the possibility of a breakdown of the civilized infrastructure.”

“Your safe haven must be self-sufficient and capable of growing some kind of food,” Mr. Biggs writes. “It should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine, medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson. Even in America and Europe there could be moments of riot and rebellion when law and order temporarily completely breaks down.”

Survivalism, it seems, is not just for survivalists anymore.

Faced with a confluence of diverse threats — a tanking economy, a housing crisis, looming environmental disasters, and a sharp spike in oil prices — people who do not consider themselves extremists are starting to discuss doomsday measures once associated with the social fringes.

They stockpile or grow food in case of a supply breakdown, or buy precious metals in case of economic collapse. Some try to take their houses off the electricity grid, or plan safe houses far away. The point is not to drop out of society, but to be prepared in case the future turns out like something out of “An Inconvenient Truth,” if not “Mad Max.”

“I’m not a gun-nut, camo-wearing skinhead. I don’t even hunt or fish,” said Bill Marcom, 53, a construction executive in Dallas.

Still, motivated by a belief that the credit crunch and a bursting housing bubble might spark widespread economic chaos — “the Greater Depression,” as he put it — Mr. Marcom began to take measures to prepare for the unknown over the last few years: buying old silver coins to use as currency; buying G.P.S. units, a satellite telephone and a hydroponic kit; and building a simple cabin in a remote West Texas desert.

“If all these planets line up and things do get really bad,” Mr. Marcom said, “those who have not prepared will be trapped in the city with thousands of other people needing food and propane and everything else.”

Interest in survivalism — in either its traditional hard-core version or a middle-class “lite” variation — functions as a leading economic indicator of social anxiety, preparedness experts said: It spikes at times of peril real (the post-Sept. 11 period) or imagined (the chaos that was supposed to follow the so-called Y2K computer bug in 2000).

At times, a degree of paranoia is officially sanctioned. In the 1950s, civil defense authorities encouraged people to build personal bomb shelters because of the nuclear threat. In 2003, the Department of Homeland Security encouraged Americans to stock up on plastic sheeting and duct tape to seal windows in case of biological or chemical attacks.

Now, however, the government, while still conducting business under a yellow terrorism alert, is no longer taking a lead role in encouraging preparedness. For some, this leaves a vacuum of reassurance, and plenty to worry about.

Esteemed economists debate whether the credit crisis could result in a complete meltdown of the financial system. A former vice president of the United States informs us that global warming could result in mass flooding, disease and starvation, perhaps even a new Ice Age.

“You just can’t help wonder if there’s a train wreck coming,” said David Anderson, 50, a database administrator in Colorado Springs who said he was moved by economic uncertainties and high energy prices, among other factors, to stockpile months’ worth of canned goods in his basement for his wife, his two young children and himself.

Popular culture also provides reinforcement, in books like “The Road,” Cormac McCarthy’s novel about a father and son journeying through a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and films like “I Am Legend,” which stars Will Smith as a survivor of a man-made virus wandering the barren streets of New York.

Middle-class survivalists can also browse among a growing number of how-to books with titles like “Dare to Prepare!” a self-published work by Holly Drennan Deyo, or “When All Hell Breaks Loose” by Cody Lundin (Gibbs Smith, 2007), which instructs readers how to dispose of bodies and dine on rats and dogs in the event of disaster.

(Page 2 of 2)

Preparedness activity is difficult to track statistically, since people who take measures are usually highly circumspect by nature, said Jim Rawles, the editor of www.survivalblog.com, a preparedness Web site. Nevertheless, interest in the survivalist movement “is experiencing its largest growth since the late 1970s,” Mr. Rawles said in an e-mail, adding that traffic at his blog has more than doubled in the past 11 months, with more than 67,000 unique visitors per week. And its base is growing.

“Our core readership is still solidly conservative,” he said. “But in recent months I’ve noticed an increasing number of stridently green and left-of-center readers.”

One left-of-center environmentalist who is taking action is Alex Steffen, the executive editor of www.worldchanging.com, a Web site devoted to sustainability. With only slight irony, Mr. Steffen, 40, said he and his girlfriend could serve as “poster children for the well-adjusted, urban liberal survivalist,” given that they keep a six-week cache of food and supplies in his basement in Seattle (although they polished off their bottle of doomsday whiskey at a party).

He said the chaos following Hurricane Katrina served as a wake-up call for him and others that the government might not be able to protect them in an emergency or environmental crisis.

“The ‘where do we land when climate change gets crazy?’ question seems to be an increasingly common one,” said Mr. Steffen in an e-mail message, adding that such questions have “really gone mainstream.”

Many of the new, nontraditional preparedness converts are “Peakniks,” Mr. Rawles said, referring to adherents of the “Peak Oil” theory. This concept holds that the world will soon, or has already, reached a peak in oil production, and that coming supply shortages might threaten society. While the theory is still disputed by many industry analysts and executives, it has inched toward the mainstream in the last two years, as oil prices have nearly doubled, surpassing $100 a barrel. The topic, which was the subject of a United States Department of Energy report in 2005, has attracted attention in publications like The New York Times Magazine and The Wall Street Journal, and was a primary focus of “Megadisasters: Oil Apocalypse,” a recent History Channel special.

Another book, “The Long Emergency” (Atlantic Monthly Press, 2005), by James Howard Kunstler, an author and journalist who writes about economic and environmental issues, argues that American suburbs and cities may soon lay desolate as people, starved of oil, are forced back to the land to adopt a hardscrabble, 19th-century-style agrarian life.

Such fears caused Joyce Jimerson of Bellingham, Wash., a coordinator for a recycling-composting program affiliated with Washington State University, to make her yard an “edible garden,” with fruit trees and vegetables, in case supplies are threatened by oil shortages, climate change or economic collapse. “It’s all the same ball of wax, as far as I’m concerned,” she said.

Scott Troyer, an energy consultant in Sunnyvale, Calif., said he was spurred by discussions of peak oil — “it’s not a theory,” he said — and other energy concerns to remake his suburban house in anticipation of a petroleum-starved future. Mr. Troyer, 57, installed a photovoltaic electricity system, a pellet stove and a “cool roof” to reflect the sun’s rays, among other measures.

Mr. Troyer remains cautiously optimistic that Americans can wean themselves from oil through smart engineering and careful planning. But, he said, “the doomsday scenarios will happen if people don’t prepare.”

Some middle-class preparedness converts, like Val Vontourne, a musician and paralegal in Olympia, Wash., recoil at the term “survivalist,” even as they stock their homes with food, gasoline and water.

“I think of survivalists as being an extreme case of preparedness,” said Ms. Vontourne, 44, “people who stockpile guns and weapons, anticipating extreme aggression. Whereas what I’m doing, I think of as something responsible people do.

“I now think of storing extra food, water, medicine and gasoline in the same way I think of buying health insurance and putting money in my 401k,” she said. “It just makes sense.”

I'm one of the yuppies, hope you're not too offended that I decided to buy some beans, stock propane, learn to sharpen a knife, learn a trade, etc.

Well my grandfather went through the depression. That was pretty bad and he had many stories to tell about those days, how he went off to work camps (building highways) and sending any cash he could to his home. How the family ate much of what they could garden and buying a few necessities with what little cash they could scrape up. As bad as things got back then - it wasn't total anarchy. There was law and order. In fact, my grandfather once told me that security was actually pretty tight back then because the potential for looting was so high in towns.

it is a good thing that some folks finally get it, the government cant solve all your problems, you need to be able to take care of yourself at least for swome length of time for the forces of good to get organized. i took this as the lesson of this article, many of these folks seem to have just come to this stark realization. interesting story and i think that katrina has had a good deal of influence on this thinking. i would imagine that there has been a quiet revolution in thinking about personal preparedness. i have been told by friends in eastern west virginia that there has been an explosion in cabin building mostly out of state folks, this seems to go with the placement of an interstate directly into this area from the washington dc area. guess it was just a coincidence. mighty easy acess into a wilderness area from a prime target area i would say.

then again in my younger years i was not adverse to letting a hippie chick handle my gun.

alex

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/may/24/energy-fears-looming-new-survivalists-prepare/

Energy fears looming, new survivalists prepare

The Associated Press

Sat, May 24, 2008 (11:02 a.m.)
Click here to find out more!

A few years ago, Kathleen Breault was just another suburban grandma, driving countless hours every week, stopping for lunch at McDonald's, buying clothes at the mall, watching TV in the evenings.

That was before Breault heard an author talk about the bleak future of the world's oil supply. Now, she's preparing for the world as we know it to disappear.

Breault cut her driving time in half. She switched to a diet of locally grown foods near her upstate New York home and lost 70 pounds. She sliced up her credit cards, banished her television and swore off plane travel. She began relying on a wood-burning stove.

"I was panic-stricken," the 50-year-old recalled, her voice shaking. "Devastated. Depressed. Afraid. Vulnerable. Weak. Alone. Just terrible."

Convinced the planet's oil supply is dwindling and the world's economies are heading for a crash, some people around the country are moving onto homesteads, learning to live off their land, conserving fuel and, in some cases, stocking up on guns they expect to use to defend themselves and their supplies from desperate crowds of people who didn't prepare.

The exact number of people taking such steps is impossible to determine, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the movement has been gaining momentum in the last few years.

These energy survivalists are not leading some sort of green revolution meant to save the planet. Many of them believe it is too late for that, seeing signs in soaring fuel and food prices and a faltering U.S. economy, and are largely focused on saving themselves.

Some are doing it quietly, giving few details of their preparations _ afraid that revealing such information as the location of their supplies will endanger themselves and their loved ones. They envision a future in which the nation's cities will be filled with hungry, desperate refugees forced to go looking for food, shelter and water.

"There's going to be things that happen when people can't get things that they need for themselves and their families," said Lynn-Marie, who believes cities could see a rise in violence as early as 2012.

Lynn-Marie asked to be identified by her first name to protect her homestead in rural western Idaho. Many of these survivalists declined to speak to The Associated Press for similar reasons.

These survivalists believe in "peak oil," the idea that world oil production is set to hit a high point and then decline. Scientists who support idea say the amount of oil produced in the world each year has already or will soon begin a downward slide, even amid increased demand. But many scientists say such a scenario will be avoided as other sources of energy come in to fill the void.

On the PeakOil.com Web site, where upward of 800 people gathered on recent evenings, believers engage in a debate about what kind of world awaits.

Some members argue there will be no financial crash, but a slow slide into harder times. Some believe the federal government will respond to the loss of energy security with a clampdown on personal freedoms. Others simply don't trust that the government can maintain basic services in the face of an energy crisis.

The powers that be, they've determined, will be largely powerless to stop what is to come.

Determined to guard themselves from potentially harsh times ahead, Lynn-Marie and her husband have already planted an orchard of about 40 trees and built a greenhouse on their 7 1/2 acres. They have built their own irrigation system. They've begun to raise chickens and pigs, and they've learned to slaughter them.

The couple have gotten rid of their TV and instead have been reading dusty old books published in their grandparents' era, books that explain the simpler lifestyle they are trying to revive. Lynn-Marie has been teaching herself how to make soap. Her husband, concerned about one day being unable to get medications, has been training to become an herbalist.

By 2012, they expect to power their property with solar panels, and produce their own meat, milk and vegetables. When things start to fall apart, they expect their children and grandchildren will come back home and help them work the land. She envisions a day when the family may have to decide whether to turn needy people away from their door.

"People will be unprepared," she said. "And we can imagine marauding hordes."

So can Peter Laskowski. Living in a woodsy area outside of Montpelier, Vt., the 57-year-old retiree has become the local constable and a deputy sheriff for his county, as well as an emergency medical technician.

"I decided there was nothing like getting the training myself to deal with insurrections, if that's a possibility," said the former executive recruiter.

Laskowski is taking steps similar to environmentalists: conserving fuel, consuming less, studying global warming, and relying on local produce and craftsmen. Laskowski is powering his home with solar panels and is raising fish, geese, ducks and sheep. He has planted apple and pear trees and is growing lettuce, spinach and corn.

Whenever possible, he uses his bicycle to get into town.

"I remember the oil crisis in '73; I remember waiting in line for gas," Laskowski said. "If there is a disruption in the oil supply it will be very quickly elevated into a disaster."

Breault said she hopes to someday band together with her neighbors to form a self-sufficient community. Women will always be having babies, she notes, and she imagines her skills as a midwife will always be in demand.

For now, she is readying for the more immediate work ahead: There's a root cellar to dig, fruit trees and vegetable plots to plant. She has put a bicycle on layaway, and soon she'll be able to bike to visit her grandkids even if there is no oil at the pump.

Whatever the shape of things yet to come, she said, she's done what she can to prepare.

My dad is a big peak oil guy and has been for a long time. I am a second-generation survivalist. Sometimes I wonder if he ever thinks about what it means, that he has been a survivalist since the 1960s and it's never mattered once. I think about that once in a while and that's why I take survivalism and my participation in it a lot less seriously than he does. Of course I have more gear than him!

Back