Yvsa dressed for the dance. Beautiful pix.

biggrin.gif

Yvsa,

Many thanks for the information. I know just what you are talking about regarding the cut musicians are usually offered for their work. I study the five hole cedar flute
and Choctaw style double flute. The Native American flute is the most sensitive and expressive woodwind I've ever experienced, and is the only wind instrument to use a double sound chamber construction that I know of. I hope to do honour and respect to those who originally created it.
Somehow my HI khukuri's spirit is in tune with my flutes, it hangs on the wall in my music room. They are all powerful intruments.

Again, sincere thanks,

Finn

Bill,

Thank you for your kind post.

I have always been a bit old fashioned, to say the least.

There just seems to be more connections and similarities than isolation and differences.

But..................maybe I'm just nuts.

They'll have to catch me first!

Thanks,

Finn

[This message has been edited by Finnean (edited 07-21-2000).]

That ( catching you ) shouldn't be hard at all.

Just put a classified in your local paper -

"For sale: gurka knife - unknown maker, nicely done tourist type. Highly engraved blade with brass handle also engraved as are the two accessory knives. About 27" OAL, Black leather sheathe. Right side of blade bears two apparent characters unknown alphabet near bend in spine, left side of blade shows half moon marking above and behind the notch near bolster. $50 obo. Call (XXX) XXX-XXXX for details or for appointment to examine.

Ouch!!!

"Gurka" knife??
Tourist type??
Brass Handle??
Fifty bucks- OBO????

The 27 inch part was great!

Ouch,

Finn

The tip off is that the crescent moon is Bura's mark. That would make it the real thing fallen into the hands of some Philistine who doesn't know what they have, not a "tourist".

The knife described is a copy of the Banspati Bura made for the King of Nepal. At that price, you and probably 99% of forumites would follow directions all the way into the psych ward asking for the guy who put the ad in the paper.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 07-21-2000).]

Rusty,

I humble myself before the voice of authority.

That blade is actually starting to sound kind of cool.

You got one for 50 bucks, OBO?

Well, back to the crayolas.

Thanks,

Finn

P.S. I'd rather let them actually catch me than follow the path of the Philistine- thanks for the instruction.

I've been keeping it a secret, but I have in my possesion (mattress) an ancient Doon Steelworks khukuri, excavated at Dera Dun, India in 1969.

I might be willing to have it pried out of my hands for say, 50 bucks, OBO- yea, thats American bucks.

We're not supposed to have pointy stuff anyway.

Finn

:
Thanks Finn and you're welcome.
It's nice to meet another person who studies the Flute. I believe that's all you can do, like the khukuris the Flute has much to teach if one is willing to listen. I don't belive that anyone can truly "master" the instrument although some are excellent players.
I rarely claim to be able to know how to play and when asked
remark,"People say I can." That's the way I was taught and I believe it's a good way.

You mentioned a Choctaw Double Flute. I don't recall ever seeing one of those. Can you describe it a bit?
I have heard of some Indin Flutes having a drone on one side similar to the bagpipes. Is it like that?
I tried playing a chanter one time and those things are HARD to blow through and get a decent sound from!!!

I am always interested in learning about different Flutes from over the world and have a few samples from some out of the way places. One I have has a reed sort of deal on it and makes an interesting sound when you can get it just right.
I think it must be a tourist model and like the khukuri the tourist models aren't much.
I have a notched Flute from the people in S.A. I bought it at a powwow one year when they came up for a visit. The Quena isn't for everyone, but I like to try it once in a while. It takes some practice to get your tongue just right.
Ask Bill about the little bone Medicine Flute I sent him. I can get note or two out of it on a good day.
smile.gif

I also buy from different makers I meet around at powwows and the like even though I do make them myself.

I made a "Coyote Flute" that has a coyote head carved on the end.
(I am taking about fruit.) He has his ears layed back and eyes crossed and his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth.
He can play the blues and jazz, but takes a lot of air. I do much better blowing on that one when I havn't smoked for a while, but I like my smokes.
smile.gif

Like some others here I am going to have to give that up as well.

I pray with my Flutes and Yangdu picked up on that hen she heard my tape. Somehow that didn't surprise me any.
smile.gif

Feel free to e-mail me. I can maybe tell you a couple of things that I can't share here.

Oh and the smaller khukuris make an awfully nice tool when used in all the ways it can be when working on a Flute.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"There's no trick in being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

...............Will Rogers......

Khukuri FAQ

Somewhere I posted my flute story of Nepal. I may have called it Tamang on the Rooftop but I can't remember.

There is something about a flute and the music it makes that is very special and I think that is one of the reasons you'll find the flute in one form or another in almost every culture. Besides the fact that it is one of the cheapest and most practical musical instruments ever invented.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Yvsa,

Thanks for the reply. I agree, There are some very advanced students of the flute, but I don't think anybody lives long enough to "master" it. When I play I'm happy just to have made someone smile and feel better.

The Chocktaw style double flute I have is like one you described. It has a "v" shape and is joined at the end where you blow. There are two blow holes so you can play both pipes at once or just one or the other (this is one case where having a big mouth is a good thing). It is a five hole in G on one side and a G drone on the other. It takes almost as much wind as a bagpipe chanter.

I don't have much experience on other flutes except for the C transverse, recorder, fife, and penny whistle. They just didn't have what I was wanting to hear. I read about a 40,000 year old flute made from deer bone found in France. The flute probably is the first instrument.

I don't really collect, I have just enough intruments to play in the keys I need. My flutes are made by Odell Borg in Patagonia, Arizona- a beautiful place. I visited him a while back and we hand picked some flutes. His flutes have an incredible range and tone.

Bill, about that medicine flute Yvsa sent you- you're still married so you must have been able to get some music out of it. What is it like?

People get mad at Coyote because he steals their cats, and scares their dogs. I think he deserves his own flute. If you can post a pix of the flute you made it would be great. It sounds like you really captured the old trickster.

Prayer is what it's all about, whether music or warrior arts. I'll drop you a line.

Appreciation,

Finn

And, Finn, the tribal cops kept calling me Coyote after one trip to Reno where I took off ahead of them. They passed me. They passed me 3 or 4 times. Then at the hotel, the elevator was too full for all of us, so they got on, went down ahead of me, and I was there waiting for them when the elevator door opened in the lobby.

Back