Yvsa, here's the pix. You post the specs and story.

ff7afc85.jpg.orig.jpg

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (18,000+ posts)

:
FIRST A Humongeous WADO EQUA (Thank You Hugely!!!!) to Bill and Rusty for helping me to get this pix online. Without them it would never have happened. Rusty was good enough to do whatever he did so that Uncle Bill could actually see the pix. We have been e-mailing back and forth for 2 days now trying to get this up. There is another one that shows the whole handle.

A Cherokee friend of mine did the original scanning so I want to give him credit as well!! He is very busy man and he, his wife and family
are the Cherokee Family of the Year!!! They do foster care for the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma and have from one to five foster kids in the house at one time!!
Right now they are trying to adopt a little boy they have had since he was 6 weeks old, kinda like a puppy.
biggrin.gif
Just tzn, but they are good people and that's always good to hear since we hear so much bad crap that goes on daily. I could tell you stories about the little one like a very proud Uncle, but I won't go there.
cool.gif

Here are the specs approximately. I have it finished up and already wrapped up ready to fly to Reno.
biggrin.gif

Over all length = 17"
Handle length = 5 7/8"
Blade = 11 1/2"

Blade thickness is approximately 3/8" and will be distal tapered if the kamis follow the model closely.

Drop = 3 1/2"

The khukuri balances on its edge on my finger at the junction of the back of the cho and the ricasso. I think that's pretty neat and I hope the finished khukuri is also a "balanced model."

There will be seven inlays of brass and copper in the Sword of Shiva starting and ending with brass.

There will be a sharpened chakma and a karda along with a 3 cornered awl (because a 3 cornered cut usually doesn't tear out), because sometimes you just need to poke a hole and a knife won't do that without potential tearing.And sometimes a lttle tool is lost and if one is, you will still have a little knife. I also want on my scabbards a pouch like the ones that was used to store flint and tinder in.

I made the diamonds and Yin Yang symbols on paper and then cut them out and pasted them on the handle to get them even.

I may pay more for this khukuri with its decoration, but I saw a similar inlay on one of Terry's and I really thought it made the knife even more beautiful.
This is gonna be a very special khukuri for me and I am willing to pay what it costs to get what I want on it.(I think
smile.gif
)

Like I said in another post I want 2 of these. One like this and one with the hammer dingy finish in the fullers and the inlays in both blade and handle with a steel butt cap and bolster.

Comments?

If this one goes over well I may do a FC Tin Chiarra based on one of JP's old ones that I think is so beautiful. I will also consider suggestions.
smile.gif

The next one will have a bit more curve in the handle as that's the only place I didn't make it exactly as it should have been.
The old ones had a curve that actually locks your hand in place. Sounds uncomfortable, but wait until you have an opportunity to heft some of those old khukuris.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"There's no trick in being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

...............Will Rogers......

Khukuri FAQ

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 08-16-2000).]

¥vsa, looks very promising. Of course, the big question is how will the kamis react? I would love to be there when they open up the package and deliver their collective initial impressions.

I am optimistic, though.

Good work!

smile.gif

Harry

Hau Kola Yvsa, The Spirit's smiled on You Bro. Good Luck with the new W'in;-)

------------------

Bill Montana

Yvsa, Uncle emailed he was putting up the second pic that shows the handle asap.

On the other hand, bro, the last message I sent you bounced. They said your mailbox was so full they couldn't cram it in even with a trash compactor. Think it was all the jpeg files? LOL ( and ROTFLMAO, too ).

Yvsa: Beautiful model!
With those dimensions, it should be as quick as it is strong, and as strong as it is beautiful.
You gotta let us see this when it is made real! Meantime, you can take some lessons from Bill and James Mattis, they take some really wonderful pictures, which I for one appreciate a great deal!
Ken

------------------
The sword cannot cut itself, the eye cannot see itself.

Like you say, Ken, gotta be a great performer, and, to me, looks to have the spirit of the old ones, the ancestor khukuri.

I'd be honored to own one of these.

ff7a84d1.jpg.orig.jpg

And here is the rest of the story.

The kamis are going to have their hands full but I have pretty high hopes they can come within 95% of what we see here.

We will get Yvsa his two first and see how we do. If they are acceptable then we will order more for those who want it.

This Khukuri will be called the Yvsa Cherokee Special.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Archives (18,000+ posts)

:
I have had a couple of requests for a pic of the Yvsa Cherokee Special so I am bringing it back up.

I sure wish we had taken some decent pix at the Khukuri Konvention.
frown.gif

This will at least give anyone who is interested an idea of what it looks like.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"There's no trick in being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."

Khukuri FAQ

I want one, I want one, I want one!!!! By the way, did I mention that I want one?! Or maybe two. What a beautiful khuk!

:
Thanks for the vote of confidence
Steven!!!
What's really kewl is that I have the 1st wooden model of the YCS I started that the blade warped on.
redface.gif
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Actually to my surprise I found one of the incompleted wood models for the H.I.AK Bowie fondly known as the bird and trout knife of Himalayan Imports the other week when I was doing a major cleaning in my shop room.
biggrin.gif

Since Sanu is doing the 1st ones I am pretty confident that he will get it very close. That man can really hammer forge fullers in those blades!!!
The plain Hanuman blade I got has beautiful fullers forged into it.
They were deep enough that I was able to take quite a bit of the edges of the spine thinning it down some.
It was a lot thicker than what I thought it would be. It's gonna make one heckuva khukuri as well!!!

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Khukuri FAQ

It's a beautiful khuk! I'd love to see and handle it some day.

At first the carving on the blade near the spine seemed holes, like that of Colt Python's.

------------------
(T_T) ...crying
\(^o^)/ ...cheerful
(ToT) ...crying
Mizutani Satoshi

They haven't even made one yet and already it's being compared to a Colt Python?

Tell someone else to give you a pat on the back. If you did it to yourself, you'd keep on doing it til you needed a chiropractor.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

What a beautiful khuk. Looks like the blade is a little bit wider than an AK (correct me if I'm wrong) --- A length of 17" or so would be perfect to do most anything. Fighter and tool.--- It's a must have. As soon as I get up some $$$ I will go for one --- or two.
smile.gif

ff5f467d.jpg.orig.jpg

Here are both views put together through the magic of computer graphics.

Wonderful design. Looks like a real challenge for Sanu! Hope he can pull it off.

Yvsa,

For one thing, that model is a fine piece of sculpture- I hope nobody tries to cut something with it.

I like the wide blade- with the shorter length it maintains good mass for chopping, plus it really shows off the fullering.

I'd be proud to own one of the real ones.

Thanks,

Finn

Put me down for an Yvsa Special too!!
biggrin.gif

Vince

------------------
Stay sharp and be Safe!
------- ---- ---------
That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.
F.W. Nietzche

That's going to be a beautiful blade, Yvsa. I was wondering about what it was going to look like when I saw it mentioned. Outstanding.

------------------

Kevan "Raven" Taylor-Perry

:
Dayum.
I dropped the ball somewhere along the line. Sorry about that.
I thought I had posted all the specs and missed the blade width at the belly.
It is going to be somewhere around 2 1/2" wide, at least that's what the model I have left is. The best I can recall they were pretty close.
That's a bit wider than most of the AK's.
I certainly hope it meets everyone's expectations. The design was to incorporate the best of weapon and tool and new and old models.
We will see if I made it all come together.
I will leave it to others to decide how it turns out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Khukuri FAQ

Back