Zebra Billy Cans....

Good Day,

Any of you all have a Zebra Billy Can?

I am trying to decide on one...

I have smaller pans, which can be sort of frail.... spun aluminium with non-stick coatings....

So, I am thinking that I want larger...

They come in... 26, 44, 64 and 100 ounce capacities...

I don't know, what do you all think?

Any other thoughts on pots, billy cans, or Zebra (not the equine like mammal)....?

Marion

There are a few brands of SS cookware. I have a Zebra 12cm pot that I got for Christmas. I haven't used it yet. I should be using it within the next week though. I think the 10cm or 12cm would be plenty big for one person, with the bigger sizes for multiple people.

Even without using it, I can tell you the quality is there. Just taking it out of the package, I could tell it was very well made.

I've always been an adherent of the coffee can school. Lately though, I've been looking at the Zebras, and wondering if it isn't time to switch to one of those newfangled store-bought things, so I'll be following the responses here, too.

I have one and really like it. Not sure what size it is but I would guess that its the 44 or 64oz size. One thing I don't like are the little plastic clips that hold the lid down and the handle up. These melted the first time I used it so now the handle will fall down if its not suspended from above.

I have one and really like it. Not sure what size it is but I would guess that its the 44 or 64oz size. One thing I don't like are the little plastic clips that hold the lid down and the handle up. These melted the first time I used it so now the handle will fall down if its not suspended from above.

Tell me more about these plastic clips...

What all are they for?

What do they leave behind?

If one were to just bust them off, would that work?

Are they useful?

Marion

An Aussie friend of mine sent me a stainless billy can last year and I really like it. It is pretty heavy at 12 ounces with the lid (but without the inner pan), but the lid fits well and is locked on by the bail. The bail mounts are tight enough that the bail can be used as a pouring handle.

ea4nfb.jpg

Both the bail and the lid have heat-resistant handles. I'm not sure they would survive direct flame, but they work fine on my canister stove. There are no brand stamps on the lid, bail or billy so I am not sure where it was made. It doesn't look like the pictures I have seen of the Zebra, old or new. This one is about 5" tall and 5" wide. IIRC, it is a one liter pot. That is plenty for me to rehydrate a freeze dried meal, then cook up a pot of camp coffee. It is a vast improvement over the old aluminum camp cookware I have. I can see where the Zebra billy can should be just as good. Besides, if Ray sells it....:D

Tell me more about these plastic clips...

What all are they for?

What do they leave behind?

If one were to just bust them off, would that work?

Are they useful?

Marion

The little plastic clips tighten down on the lid when you raise the bail and lock the lid into place. They could be easily broken off if you wished.

The little plastic clips tighten down on the lid when you raise the bail and lock the lid into place. They could be easily broken off if you wished.

How well does the pot work, after the clips are gone?

aka

Is the demise the clips a tragedy?

Marion

I like them yet use a modified coffee can. (More money for KNIVES ).

Hollowdweller, where did you get yours?

I saw a really practical one on this site

Check out Kettle #1

http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page16/page16.html

It has the rear handle so it is easy to pour.

Not sure the capacity on it though.

This is my favorite. Holds nearly two quarts, cheap and super easy to use over an open fire. But some people don't like aluminum.
openskill.jpg

hike22ny5.jpg

Yeah, I don't care to bare aluminium, which is like a little mental gremlin, since there is no good reason not to like it...

But, I see your point about handles, and pouring, and generally using the thing... Ladle maybe? Carved crotch to hold the bottom?

Marion

I recently bought a non-stick one quart billy pot at Open Country Solid little setup that mates well with my alcohol stove. The Zebra pots do look nice though.

I have a zebra 14cm billy, good quality but if you'll just be cooking for yourself then I'd go for a smaller one. The handle is also a bit chunky so some people remove it and add a brake cable (from a bike) on instead, bit of a job though so maybe it would be better to just get something else in the first place... Mine also came without plastic clips and at the time I think only the 10cm one had them but maybe they all do now.

Man, those are huge for a billy! We use that very pail for compost. Extremely well made, polished up nicely so very little sticks to them. Heavy duty and a bargain.

Marion,
I got a Zebra 10cm recently from Ben's Backwoods and the quality is excellent. I tried to burn the plastic things off on my pocket cooker but just blackened them. They will come off without damage if you choose to remove them but I would as soon not have to remove/replace them, so if they burn off, no bigee. I have only used the Zebra once so far but I like it. Would rather have one like HD has with the wire bail and handles if I could find one, but the Zebra is still a very good value.

Back