Zero Tolerance 0095S90BLK

Hi! This is my last acquisition and I’d like to share with you here my impressions and experiences with this folder, as usual as a week-end hiker and an hobbyist, no expert at all :). I am carrying this knife since more than one month now, as my only EDC blade. My daily uses mainly revolve around random cutting of various packaging materials at work (polymeric, cardboard materials, cordages of sorts etc.), food prep (at work I prepare my breakfast and lunch and at home I have some fun) and the occasional household maintenance chores, like cutting zip ties, masking tape, shade/screening nets, loose threads, different types of consumer goods and food packages, some gardening tasks, etc. I have also carried the ZT0095 out on the trails for at least a couple of one day hikes in the mountains I have close by here. Overall, to give a kind of frame for my EDC use, I’d define it as “light/medium utility” :).

This is my second ZT. I had a very good experience with the 0909 as a product and really like it very much. It has gained a place in the short list of big folders I own and use during my outdoor activities, easy level hiking/camping, mainly in protected/regulated areas as the Alps here are. So I thought, why not getting another ZT as my next folder :)? Since when it first came out on the market, I was very intrigued by the ZT0095 from an aesthetical point of view. Really I consider this as one of the most elegant and good looking folding knife designs since a while (the Lionsteel Ti spine has been the last one giving me a similar feeling). If I remember it correctly, the very first run of the ZT0095 went to Russia, in a Ti natural colour version, sporting a blue standoff. That was 2015.

Then, presented at the 2016 Shot Show, if I remember right, the ZT 0095BW was disclosed. “BW” stands for a black wash finish. I don’t like that finish so much (just a matter of personal taste) and I have already a couple of S35V blades so I decided to pass on it. This year, ZT released what is normally referred to as a “sprint run” (knife industry lingo meaning a small production batch/limited edition of a variation on an existing knife). In this case, ZT came out with the 0095S90BLK. This model was offered with a more premium blade steel (S90V) and a black Diamond Like Coating (DLC) on the blade and handle scales. This model got me interested again and I ordered one. I can openly say I fell for the strong tactical appeal, its flowing lines and the “deadly elegance” of its design, underlined and highlighted by the total black DLC coating. Now, to be fair, being this one a user (as all my knives are), it would have been better to get the stone washed finish. This would have allowed me to beat up on it like I do (reasonably) without leaving use marks and scratches on the finish. DLC is tough but stones and metal can be sometimes tougher. Since I consider scratches and use marks as adding character to a blade, I don’t care and I go on using this baby. Overall, the DLC coating holds up quite well :thumbsup:!

The defining characteristics of my new ZT0095 knife are its black matte finish and the signature look of its blade which blends right into the titanium handle for a unified sleek and aggressive look. The look of this folder was immediately striking for me: an elegant simplicity and sobriety in form and finish, an almost “minimalistic” knife. Fit and finish was flawless, basically perfect for me, comparable to a mid tech folder, as a minimum. The shape of the blade recalls an harpoon-style, but, beyond that, I recognize a modified drop point with a nice gradual belly on the blade and a slightly dropped angle on the tip. The blade is sturdy and the harpoon style design is functional, I appreciate how my thumb locks naturally into the stop created along the spine. There is a lot of belly for utility work and the factory edge was exceptionally sharp! Whoever set the edge did really a good job. The blade has a length of about 100 mm (9.8) for a 3 mm (3.1) thick and has a curved cutting edge which ends with a thin and sharp tip. It has a choil to terminate the edge and allow easier sharpening. Both the blade spine and handle edges are nicely chamfered but not completely rounded. The blade is made out of CPM S90V. I am not a steel expert at all but from what I have learnt and directly experienced, this steel excels in edge retention (I still have to sharpen this) and wear resistance, sports a decent corrosion resistance but – on papers - it looks hard to sharpen properly, at least with my equipment (a Lansky guided system with diamond hones and a couple of water stones) and my current skills. The vanadium does the trick, being almost three times the amount found in e.g. Elmax or S30V. After more than one month of daily use, it’s still shaving sharp. The high flat grind makes this almost a full flat grind and, as such, it slices very well. The blade thickness is only 3 mm and this makes deep slicing cuts very easy. The flat grind combines also with a sleek but broad-bellied blade and this increase further its slicing capability. All in all a great tool for food prep on the trails. About piercing and stabbing it’s truly great but a word of caution here is needed: I have tested this as usual (do this with all my new folders), stabbing and twisting into the various media I normally cut (e.g. HDPE, aluminium cans, cardboard stacks, wood/wood based materials, etc.). It passed the test well, the lock it’s rock solid but the tip is on the “delicate” side. I didn’t want to break it, so I did not abused my knife in this direction, anyway it’s something to consider. I treat this one the same way I would do with my Spyderco PM2 :).

The titanium handle includes a frame lock that secures the blade open during use. The frame lock mechanism is made of a rugged thick titanium slab about 4 mm thick. A steel insert has been applied - hidden in a recess milled in the locking spring - to act as an interface with the blade tang. This solution, already used in other ZT models (and in many other folders that use a titanium frame lock), is ideal to ensure the highest level of safety and precision of the couplings of the lock system. Titanium alloys have a lower hardness compared to steels and is prone to wearing and/or galling in the long run. One thing I miss is there’s no jimping on either the spine of the blade or the top of the handle. Sure the handle fits the hand in a good way but, especially when wet, for me it feels sometimes to have literally a soap bar in the hand. No issues with gloves in this respect, also thanks to the harpoon “scoop” on the spine of the blade that lets my thumb nestle in nicely and guide the blade when using the knife for more detailed work. One thing ZT could consider doing, that may improve the ergos/grip of this knife, is maybe put some jimping on it and offer a run with a G10 scale on the presentation side. As is, the ergonomics of the handle are good enough for most of my cutting task but the grip/traction can be definitely improved.

The blade is opened by a flipper tab, which is well dimensioned, sports a good jimping and serves two purposes: it makes the flipper easier to use and provides a sort of lower guard which prevents my hand from slipping forward under heavier cutting tasks. Having basically only two pieces of hardware holding the knife together, it really gives this folder a sleek and clean look and the green anodized backs-pacer on the black background stands out like a small emerald. Very classy :)! About cleaning, the ZT0095 is easy to maintain, thanks to its open pillar construction/flow-through design. So far I have rinsed it with soapy warm water and blew it dry with compressed air, after use. I haven’t disassembled it yet since it’s pretty clean still. The blade runs on KVT ball-bearing opening system - the same opening system utilized by the Zero Tolerance 0909. KVT stands for Kershaw Velocity Technology, the technology consists of a plastic frame in which small steel bearings are nestled. These replace the traditional washers on both sides of the pivot, which consists of a Torx screw, with dual-tone coloration that also gives an eye-catching appeal. The opening, also in this one, it’s a true pleasure and a bit addictive. ZT really knows how to make a great flipper :thumbsup:! I consider KVT as the closest possible system to an assisted opening. It requires the flipper to be used beyond the point of tension holding the blade in place. Once that point is passed, the blade flips right open with a decisive “thwack”. Not as loud as his bigger brother, the ZT0909 but still… The ZT 0095 deploys quickly and easily and with satisfaction. 100% reliability in my openings. Important to remember is not to press on the frame lock spring while trying to open the blade. I had a couple of “failures” in the beginning, since the pocket clip partially sits on the lock bar and my fingers were placed in a wrong position. It was easy to adjust my grip correctly. The lock-up is absolutely solid with no play at all and it passed all my piercing/stabbing and torqueing/twisting tests :).

The knife comes equipped with an ambidextrous reversible pocket clip placed in tip-up position (there’s no option for tip-down carry). It is the standard, run-of-the-mill, stamped metal ZT pocket clip with the not so nice (for me) logo printed on it. Here also, even more than it was for the 0909, I wish ZT would have put a more “premium” pocket clip on this knife. Also the clip is really “shallow” carry, if I may say so. It allows it to protrude a significant amount from the pocket. Anyway, the ZT0095 carries comfortably clipped in the pocket and the clip holds the knife securely. The clip does not cause any major discomfort or hot spot even when tightening the grip bare handed. Honestly, I am carrying the ZT0095 mostly loose in my RFP, because of the too high carry and the too manifest knife “print”. It’s quite slim in the pocket but, when carried like this, one thing I noticed is, though all the edges have been bevelled enough to make it bearable, the butt of the handle is quite pointed and can cause a bit of discomfort. On the other hand, I believe the butt can be easily used as a glass breaker (didn’t tried personally :D).

This knife is, for me, visually stunning. I like the flowing lines, the sleek and aggressive design, its tactical appeal, its “deadly elegance”. I remember sometimes ago there was a thread here about what knife would 007 carry. I can very well see this one, specially when wearing a smocking suit. The look of it was what won me first and the primary reason why I bought it. In use, the first thing which I appreciated was this is a great slicer. The blade of the 0095 cuts/slices very aggressively and eagerly and also has great piercing ability. Both the 0909 and the 0095 which I own now, though being sturdy and relatively big folders, proved to have an amazing slicing/cutting capability. Second thing I liked, the knife handle design is such that the knife is ergonomic and comfortable in hand. Another thing I really like is the flipping action and the very good fit and finish and workmanship, which seems the norm for ZT products (at least the two I currently own).

As EDC cutting tool, well, I have some reflections and I share them with you :). First, for me, this is not a “working” knife as such (like the ZT 0909 is instead). For example, the tip resistance is, for me, a question mark. As said, the tip looks pretty thin, so probably under heavier stress it may well break. The handle, though being comfortable in the ergos is rather slippery in the grip, specially when wet and a bit on the “boxy” side and too thin for extended use or heavy cutting tasks (especially woodworking). Very similar to the PM2, in this respect, as far as I am concerned. Another thing to consider, is the pivot bearing is not sealed and it attracts some dust, dirt and grit. A proper maintenance is required (this is valid also for the 0909). I regularly maintain my tools but it might be something to consider. All these don’t contribute, for me, in making the ZT0095 the ideal outdoor activities/working folder, specially in connection with woodworking and “heavy duty” tasks (e.g. zip-ties, pallet straps, stapes, etc.).

On the other hand, I can’t consider it as a gents folder either. First, it's not a small knife. Though not being heavy, still it makes a substantial presence in my pocket. Also it can be perceived as rather intimidating by the general public, due to its design, overall dimensions and the "total black" look. Not the ideal tool to prepare a sandwich or peel a fruit in a working environment or as a tourist in a city center.

This is therefore a knife I mainly enjoy today within my premises, for food prep and “around the house” tasks. Overall I consider the ZT 0095 a beautiful folding knife that offers superlative cutting performance in a modern, “deadly elegant” and rather compact design, that definitely makes it difficult for me to put it down and return to my regular weekly rotation.

Last edited:
Basic specs
• Flipper/ KVT ball-bearing opening system
• Reversible clip (left/right, tip-up)
• Titanium frame lock, hardened steel lock-bar insert
• Decorative pivot hardware
• Steel: S90V, DLC black matte finish
• Handle: Titanium, DLC black matte finish
• Blade length: 3.6 in. (9.8 cm)
• Closed length: 4.9 in. (12.4 cm)
• Overall length: 8.4 in. (21.3 cm)
• Weight: 5.3 oz. (150.3 g)
• Made in the USA

Some pics:
30mwqi8.jpg
dy4xo4.jpg
14bhtx.jpg
k20lsw.jpg
35mqicx.jpg
if72q1.jpg
wpy7s.jpg
2zriy47.jpg
bje2wx.jpg
2lsfair.jpg
2wecsj4.jpg
2gwuasx.jpg
2e3r43s.jpg
155lzkh.jpg
jl5u2p.jpg

Nice report again ! Nicely shaped blade but I could never get used to a curved handle. I always use knives in all positions like a boning knife!
Is that dark meat venison ? I hope you can get to learn to sharpen free hand rather than a ''system".

Nice report again ! Nicely shaped blade but I could never get used to a curved handle. I always use knives in all positions like a boning knife!
Is that dark meat venison ? I hope you can get to learn to sharpen free hand rather than a ''system".

mete mete : Hi there! Thanks for your comments :). This is also for me the first curved handle I own. Was a bit sceptical too in the beginning but, in use, it turned out very comfortable in my normally used hammer grip or the pinch grip I tend to use for food prep. Also the ergos and overall geometry make this a rather comfortable knife to slice/cut stuff on a chopping board.

The meat is Piedmontese cattle fillet!

About sharpening, I can manage to put a working edge on all my blades free hand but they always come out sort of convex-ish :D. Towards the jigs and guided systems I have an engineering approach :): everything which can help to reduce process variability, avoid or minimize human error, save time, etc. I consider as beneficial! I use a KAI 400/1000 stone for my kitchen knives and for the few “big” fixed blades I own but, for my folders, I go with the Lansky (unless I have no time or the steel is way too hard, then I run them into the grinder – ChefChoice – agrrrhh! Sacrilege! :):D:p)

Excellent review! I'm really liking both the 0095S90BLK as well as its predecessor, the Russia exclusive 0095.

Rolex John Rolex John : Thanks! Glad you liked my write up. That Russia exclusive is very nice! :)

Thanks! I've actually sent my 0095S90VBLK back to ZT as the detent was noticeably light - the blade just didn't fire out with the same authority as all the ZT's I've purchased in the last several years have done. Hopefully it will be back to me in about a week.

Excellent review with lots of nice pics. Enjoyed the entire write-up. I had one of these also, and intended to "mod" it, but it was just too darned nice to mess with, so I sold it. The S90V blade is outstanding, and I really should have kept it around.

Sonnydaze Sonnydaze : Hi! Thanks for appreciation :)! Even if, as said, it has a few minor limitations to really be a fully enjoyable EDC folder where I live and work, this is such a good looking and well realized knife that will be a keeper for me :thumbsup:! Take care.

Back