Zero Tolerance 0560 Legal for California Carry?

^ This!

I've honestly never taken the time to even check the laws in, San Diego County. Like most native Californian's, I know the laws pertaining to automatics & balisongs. With that said, when it comes to folder's, I pretty much carry what I want, when I want. I've never once been questioned, or searched by a law enforcement officer. Having a father in law enforcement, & hanging around many LEO when I was a kid, gave me a keen understanding that if you follow Rey's advice, you typically don't have too much to worry about. And if I were to ever get into a situation, once the officer did a background check (realized I have zero criminal history), am respectful, clean cut...these attributes could possibly help making difference between a warning, & a confiscation. Either way, it's a calculated risk that I'm willing to take.

How about that Super Bowl!?!? :thumbup: I took the Bronco's & the points, & the under...I'm busting! :D
San Diego county doesn't have any knife laws that are different from state law. I've lived in San Diego for the vast majority of the past 46 years.

I ride a motorcycle, and I look like a grungy biker, and I openly carry a 10" fixed-blade all around town. And not one of the many cops who have seen me and my knife have ever said a word about it.

How one looks matters less than how one conducts themselves. If you aren't breaking the law, or acting in a suspicious manner, there should be no reason for the cops to stop you, much less search you. Of course there are some cops who are just a-holes and will hassle anyone they feel like, and for any reason they feel like (like how they look), asnd there are cops who just don't know what is or is not legal regarding knife carry and who might stop you by mistake, but I have never encountered any of those cops, and I've encountered quite a few.

And this is what those officers saw-

P1000909800x600_zps3b57f8ae.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. We will be traveling to LA, San Diego, SF, Riverside, and perhaps a few other places in between. I think I will just keep carry something less "evil" for our time in California. I am former LE, but anytime you are in a gray area leaves room for misinterpretation for both sides.

Las Angelos the way I was told, any length folder if in pocket but anything on belt must be under 3 inch blade FYI. Make sure to get to a beach to watch a sunset while you're here. Former law enforcement so you understand the logic of stuff like just because I can carry a sword doesn't mean I should

I know the same sub-3 folder applies for Oakland and Berkley. SF, doesn't really have a specific blade length requirement.

Enjoy your trip!

San Diego county doesn't have any knife laws that are different from state law. I've lived in San Diego for the vast majority of the past 46 years.

I ride a motorcycle, and I look like a grungy biker, and I openly carry a 10" fixed-blade all around town. And not one of the many cops who have seen me and my knife have ever said a word about it.

How one looks matters less than how one conducts themselves. If you aren't breaking the law, or acting in a suspicious manner, there should be no reason for the cops to stop you, much less search you. Of course there are some cops who are just a-holes and will hassle anyone they feel like, and for any reason they feel like (like how they look), asnd there are cops who just don't know what is or is not legal regarding knife carry and who might stop you by mistake, but I have never encountered any of those cops, and I've encountered quite a few.

And this is what those officers saw-

P1000909800x600_zps3b57f8ae.jpg

Thanks, Killgar, for sharing this. I've honestly never even bothered to check the laws here in San Diego County- so this is good news to me. :thumbup:

I absolutely agree with the part of your post that I bolded. Back when I lived up in Central California, (my Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay days), & even when I first moved to San Diego (OB-being a biker-you know- OCEAN BEACH- BullFrogs bar & all the other fun places) I had long hair; was the total surfer type that some people liked to stereotype...but I still never had a problem. How one conducts themselves, is they key!

HOLY CRAP! You actually wear that 10" fixed blade all over town! :eek: I have a Strider/Zero Tolerance ZT-9 bayonet, that I'd sometimes like to strap on my belt, & wear around...I could only imagine the looks I would get. Is that actually legal to carry? I'm guessing that, as long as the cops don't see you doing anything wrong, they'd rather not possibly stir up a hornets nest. ;)

That, & you most likely ride a very professional looking BMW (the kind with those briefcase boxes). :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Killgar, for sharing this. I've honestly never even bothered to check the laws here in San Diego County- so this is good news to me. :thumbup:

I absolutely agree with the part of your post that I bolded. Back when I lived up in Central California, (my Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay days), & even when I first moved to San Diego (OB-being a biker-you know- OCEAN BEACH- BullFrogs bar & all the other fun places) I had long hair; was the total surfer type that some people liked to stereotype...but I still never had a problem. How one conducts themselves, is they key!

If you were in OB up to around 2005, you might have known (or known about) my older brother, John, who used to work as a manager at The Black. He was a familiar figure in the OB area. He's the Japanese-American guy with the long hair and beard, who almost always wears black clothes.

I've never had any issues carrying knives anywhere here in CA. I don't carry fixed blades, but I have carried all manner of folders. Of course, the only places I've gone without is at sporting events, the zoo, gov't buildings, airports, etc. But those are not CA-specific restrictions, but universal ones throughout the US and probably even most of the world.

Jim

If you were in OB up to around 2005, you might have known (or known about) my older brother, John, who used to work as a manager at The Black. He was a familiar figure in the OB area. He's the Japanese-American guy with the long hair and beard, who almost always wears black clothes.

I've never had any issues carrying knives anywhere here in CA. I don't carry fixed blades, but I have carried all manner of folders. Of course, the only places I've gone without is at sporting events, the zoo, gov't buildings, airports, etc. But those are not CA-specific restrictions, but universal ones throughout the US and probably even most of the world.

Jim

Wow Jim- small world! Are you kidding me; I know exactly who your brother is, & spoke with him many times! Thin Asian guy with very long hair, & never once saw him wear anything but total black. ;) The Black, was/is one of thee most unique, eclectic place on Planet Earth (just as is the quaint beach town of Ocean Beach)...& we both know, that Killgar had many a beers/pitchers (possibly thousands), somewhere along Newport Avenue...wearing that 10" blade! ;) I used to shoot a lot of pool in some of those fun places...I'd never shoot a game with some big scruffy bad ass biker wearing a 10" fixed blade...at least not for $$$! :D

Back on topic: OP- you can carry a ZT 0560, in Ocean Beach. :D

HOLY CRAP! You actually wear that 10" fixed blade all over town! :eek: I have a Strider/Zero Tolerance ZT-9 bayonet, that I'd sometimes like to strap on my belt, & wear around...I could only imagine the looks I would get. Is that actually legal to carry? I'm guessing that, as long as the cops don't see you doing anything wrong, they'd rather not possibly stir up a hornets nest. ;)

That, & you most likely ride a very professional looking BMW (the kind with those briefcase boxes). :D
Glad to be of help to a fellow San Diegan :).

Yes, it is perfectly legal to openly carry a fixed-blade of any size and blade type, both in San Diego, and under California state law. I've seen several people here in SD openly carrying fixed-blades in public, and those people had a variety of appearances, from other leather-clad bikers, to very ordinary looking folk. I remember one guy in particular I saw patronizing a Mexican restaurant I was in- he was a young clean-cut guy (late teens, early twenties), he was wearing white jeans, a baby-blue polo shirt, deck shoes, and he had a CRKT fixed-blade (Hammond ABC Operator) hanging upside down from his belt.

I've never had any negative reactions from people over my knife, and I've never heard of others experiencing negative reactions, and I've never seen anyone else react negatively to other people carrying fixed-blades. I'm not saying It couldn't happen, but I've never seen it, or heard of it, or experienced it myself.

As far as my bike and overall appearance are concerned, I've got the "post-apocalyptic" look. Several strangers (and friends) have commented that I look like I rode out of a Mad Max movie, but they said it in a friendly way, and I always take such comments as compliments.

I've never been much for bars and drinking. Bars are good places to get into trouble. And I never liked alcohol.

Last edited:
Back