Zero Tolerance

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
I just got a new ZT 0500 Mudd, my second Zero Tolerance knife after the ZT 0200, also an all black plain edge.

Otherwise, two very different knives. The ZT 0200 has curves everywhere, including a recurved blade, and a handle that guides my hand into a good grip.

The ZT 0500 is more angular, and is also the harshest knife I've handled. The G-10 is extremely aggressive, the large thumbstuds are milled around the edges, like a coin, and the lock release is even sharper-edged. After a couple of dozen open-close sequences, my thumb was sore!

The good news is, after those couple of dozen, the pivot loosened up a lot, and opening and closing is much easier. The action is now both fast and smooth. In fact, you don't need those rough thumbstuds. Just like an axis lock, pull back on the lock release, twist your wrist, and the blade snaps out and locks. Do the same to close it.

In many jurisdictions, this may qualify it as a gravity knife. A little discretion will go a long way.

The thumbstuds are not bladestops, they don't contact the handle when open. But they are well placed to serve as a thumb placement, and the dip in the blade just forward of the thumbstops is also a good placement for blade control, choking up on it.

Both the 0200 and 0500 are large heavy knives, which I like, although not always as convenient in light summer clothes. In jeans or khakis, no problem. The 0500 has a typical G&G Hawk short, low-ride clip, which is very tight and reliable.

Overall, both are great products, with the 0500 something of a ground-breaker, a unique and effective hard-use design. I'm looking forward to dragging it through the mud. :)

too bad ZT disco'd the MUDD, nice review. i like how the pivot is completely enclosed.

Good point. If they are discontinued, now's a good time to get them, while they're still on the market. A few have popped up on our Exchange, which is where I just got mine.

this is a treat a reveiw by 'the man'certainly this is one i had to read since my guru did the reveiw. not to be taken lightly since esav is so busy with watching all us crazies. i know his perference for real beaters so this must be an excemplery performer.guess i'm going to have to check out the specs.thank you dennis.

I still have to get out into the woods with it to see if it works as well as it seems. Opening envelopes this morning does not qualify as work. :p

Nice writeup man. :D

Gonna have to post some photos once you get it into the field though. :)

I still have to get out into the woods with it to see if it works as well as it seems. Opening envelopes this morning does not qualify as work. :p

True. A knife like that demands hard use.

You may have to approach cardboard boxes. Carefully, of course.;)

I just switched over to my ZT0500 MUDD last night. This is my fvorite ZT folder, but just bearly over the 0200!:) I didn't know it was disco. so I will need to get another one before they all get gone. I'm just the opposite on the pivot Esav, as I like it tight, but I can still flick it open without a wrist action. I put one to use the year they came out, my son now has it, using it outside for a couple of days. I cut bushes, roots, and assorted other things with that knife. Then I cleaned it up. Though there were some "skid" marks on the DLC coating, most came off---the DLC is some TOUGH stuff. Other wise I resharpened it and then began to carry it, until my son saw it and decided it was exactlly what he needed!

Over all an excellent knife for hard duty that will do the job!!:thumbup::)

So after I posted the above response I decided to take my 0500 apart as I hadn't had this particular knife disassembled. While in there I cleaned up all surfaces, has PB washers at two per side, polished the pivot shaft, and applied some Miltac lube. I also decided to increase the stiffness of the two springs that operate the lock by lengthing the springs. Only did a small amount, maybe 2 to 3 millimeters, but it stiffend it nicely.

When you take it to the woods for playtime, don't forget your camera. Not all of us know the ZT offerings... a picture, perhaps comparing the two you have, would help. Thanks for the review!

Stainz

Esav, when I got mine I had the same observation about how rough the handles were, but a few minutes judicious sanding with a relatively fine foam sanding block took care of all that.

Enjoy your MUDD!

Andy

A solid knife, but fugly as all get out.
My 0301 on the other hand......
All curves, kinda like Scarlett Jo.

Nice Review.. :thumbup: The more I read about these ZT knifes the more I am thinking about adding one to my collection.

Look them over, even online. There is a very wide range of sizes and styles. The 0200 and 0500 themselves are so different in looks, you almost need to see the logo to realize they are related at all.

Folders and fixed. Clip and drop point, recurved, and tanto. Automatic. Not garishly expensive, either, and many are available on our Exchange for trade or sale.

Nice write up, thank you!
I'm looking forward to get one - i have zt-301 and i was impressed with overall quality - much more than Kershaw usually do!
As i understand, in spite of full flat grind this is more pry-bar than cuter?

Back