Zimmerer Beil

fullsizeoutput_1397.jpeg
One axe that I just rehung today after it followed me home and I sharpened it today, (in fact these things occurring over the course of some days, but, you know). Known as zimmerbeil, we can call it a carpentry axe.
fullsizeoutput_1394.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1392.jpeg

It makes a good companion to its cousin out of the Tyrollean regions the breitbeil.
fullsizeoutput_138e.jpeg

Sharing similar construction features to include a nicely tapered socket and this rib accentuating the form, both are of course left-hand oriented. The taper being notable because not all similar axe makers go to the effort, just wrapping the socket parallel-sided for expediency instead.
p2152322.jpg

And together with their cousin bandhacke, as a carpenter of a certain tradition, who could ask for more. In other words the set seems complete.
p2152327.jpg

One other complimentary feature is the extra effort made at decorating it. I like also the choice of placement reminding anyone who might be mistakenly inclined not to use the poll as a hammer.

Last edited:
On top of the several aspects you mentioned that set that axe apart from many one might come across, I imagine finding them designed for left-handed work is especially pleasing for you Ernest. The poll is quite interesting and if done by the maker then a real sign of time spent on detail.

The cut-out in the blade may have been common to makers of a certain period, region, or maker but was it also generally associated with a higher-quality versions of axes? The shape reminds me of the older Columbus line of Jeklo Ruse carpentry axes or A. Pagačhik (I've only seen them in old catalog scans of course).

Regardless, that looks to be quite a piece of work. Thank you for sharing that with us here.

You have of course exposed the assumption behind my implied assertion that the cross-hatch and dot pattern on the poll comes from the smid at the time the axe was forged. But the motif matches the circled dot on the axe's top in front of the socket and looks contemporaneous to the numeric stamp behind there which seem consistent with certain steps of production. Still, it is completely correct of you pointing out alternative origins because I have no way of knowing this embellishment was not put there later on. And you are right as well to point out the relative scarceness of this type of axe executed in a left orientation, ( an orientation I subscribe to myself, by the way).
If you can make these historic pages available directly without having to click on indecipherable contractural agreements for access that'd be real helpful and much appreciated. This piercing really is a puzzling thing. What its function if any might be I have no idea though it is that common even on newly produced axes. I think I'll do what I always imagined was the purpose and use it to hang the axe from a nail in the wall.

You have of course exposed the assumption behind my implied assertion that the cross-hatch and dot pattern on the poll comes from the smid at the time the axe was forged. But the motif matches the circled dot on the axe's top in front of the socket and looks contemporaneous to the numeric stamp behind there which seem consistent with certain steps of production. Still, it is completely correct of you pointing out alternative origins because I have no way of knowing this embellishment was not put there later on. And you are right as well to point out the relative scarceness of this type of axe executed in a left orientation, ( an orientation I subscribe to myself, by the way).
If you can make these historic pages available directly without having to click on indecipherable contractural agreements for access that'd be real helpful and much appreciated. This piercing really is a puzzling thing. What its function if any might be I have no idea though it is that common even on newly produced axes. I think I'll do what I always imagined was the purpose and use it to hang the axe from a nail in the wall.

Of course, a forum member @chumaman shared the links in another thread here. I can post the other in entirety or just the model in question - don't want to just clutter up your thread but having the other tools and nomenclature gives a bigger context.
naslovnica-01-na.jpg

stran1-01-st.jpg

stran2-01-st.jpg

stran3-01-st.jpg

stran4-01-st.jpg

stran5-01-st.jpg

stran6-01-st.jpg

stran7-01-st.jpg

stran8-01-st.jpg

stran9-01-st.jpg

stran10-01-st.jpg

stran11-01-st.jpg

stran12-01-st.jpg

I guess conventionally the term would be zimmermannsbeil but I don't like it because it gets attached more times than not to the breitbeil though now and then axes similar to this one get labeled with that name too. Well, for the sake of argument here I willingly acknowledge the ambiguity of it all and to go with the description of the similar-looking axe from Agent_H's old catalogue and accept, "Zimmermanns Handhacke", seems a good description and conventionally credible source. Do you know Keven the equivalencies of Beil and axt from the German? Which is the big and which is the smaller?

The socket of the smaller, the zimmerman's handhacke then, isn't offset in the way it is on breitbeil, the blade does sweep upwards from the socket remaining more or less parallel. An off-set would be nice but for the intended use not necessary or practical to make them that way. This isn't the expediency I meant, that was only referring to the taper of the socket. Most commonly these axes, zimmerman's handhacken, have a socket that has parallel internal sides or a minimal taper at best where this one is significantly tapered which is more unusual and I think shows a bit more care and skill in making so an above average quality axe generally.

I also don't dislike the embellishments but to hammer on them would be a shame. I guess up till now that's what others thought as well.

Last edited:
Also, I don’t presume to know where or when your particular axe was made - just wanted in on talking about it :thumbsup:

Great thanks for that. It is fine having those old references at hand. You must have an impressive library.
Safe to say within the last hundred years I guess, and likely the earlier first half of those.

Thank you Fmont. I don't know if it was so much the particular axe that I liked, could be that or maybe it was how nice a set it makes along side these others, forming a unity.

Last edited:
One axe that I just rehung today after it followed me home and I sharpened it today, (in fact these things occurring over the course of some days, but, you know). Known as zimmerbeil, we can call it a carpentry axe.

That's something I lack and in general is missing in the American tool set, a small side axe with an offset handle. I should buy a pair of Vaughans and set one up left and one right.

I have a pretty nice RH offset Stubai but I don't see where they still offer the left hand version (they did a few years ago). I'm pretty sure Mueller still sells both lefts and rights.

I debated, with m'self, it was a real tussle, about the handle and in the end went for a slight off-set. It was a piece of ash in the hayloft with just the right form that tilted the balance. Could have just as easily gone the other way and ended up with one straight one. In fact I started a straight before abandoning that project and going back to look through my handle blank supplies.
p2092279.jpg

I have a pretty nice RH offset Stubai but I don't see where they still offer the left hand version (they did a few years ago). I'm pretty sure Mueller still sells both lefts and rights.
My sense is the options for mass produced variation are contracting- Stubai, Müeller... while at the same time small-scale hand production catering to individuals is expanding. This has many implications.

Ernest, there is an axe on the fifth page down that looks similar in build (maybe even a flourish on the poll?) Josef Bratmann 1938 catalog:
zKqhLVd.jpg

iOtGxLz.jpg

hxxz4lU.jpg

CxYUfzk.jpg

gyQkbqt.jpg

meK8skE.jpg

This one originated in a post by @Turbo4x4 on rusknife.com - thank you sir. K Kevin Houtzager also did translation work:
Holy S%^&. Thats a lot of translating to do! Well here goes. BTW, its Not from Luxemburg, Looks to much like german, so its probably Austrian like the Terminator/Governator/Totonator ;) Please let someone put this somewhere safe, because I wont be doing this again and will be only english translation out there most likely! I will update it in the future because this will take hours!

Some background info: It was an Austrian born Ukranian manufacturer from early 1900's until ???? Since there is a 1930 on one of the axes, its most likely from a little after that. Its base was here: https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Ko...029c5463ce7a49c!8m2!3d48.0514686!4d24.0616957
*To see the translations, click the arrow in the quote (it put the text over the max characters per post)

Since your large goosewing is featured as well, the markings have always intrigued me. This may or may not belong here but I am eager to purchase a copy of this text (hijacked excerpts):
Hammered-symbols1.jpg

Hammered-symbols2.jpg

Hammered-symbols3.jpg

Hammered-symbols4.jpg

Yes, the Oberländer is one with a lot of similarities. From these different catalogues the handhacken are all very similar and portray the axe with this flattened, off-centered poll which is the standard design. I see they are calling the blade piercing, "nail hole". Still pretty ambiguous isn't it even from this retailer source?
The one from the thread is a deviation from this standard with a pol and socket reminiscent of the breitbeil construction. This handhacke, a kind of diminutive version of the breitbeil which I thought made it such a good pairing.
Generous of you to include the Reinthaler book. It's one I have often wanted to go back to reference but cannot always locate it. Well it may be time also for me to get my hands on a version now there is this handy translated one.

Could one secure a leather/wooden mask or edge guard through the hole?
I honestly haven’t seen examples as such.

The wooden tool box I inherited from my grandfather had a small, wooden, oblong toggle that swiveled 360 degrees set on about 1.5” piece of doweling. He isn’t around to ask but I have wondered if it was to retain/secure a saw tool in place.

Also, being it is “cross-like” it might also invoke spiritual protection? Keep those pagans at bay?

Back