Zippo blu2, thoughts?

Hi everyone :)

My birthday is coming up and I am thinking of asking my friends to grab me a nice polished chrome zippo blu2 (if they are happy about doing a joint present for me). Has anyone used this before? If you have please let me know what you think of it :)

My main use would be to light cigars and light campfires.

I've heard that they don't light if they are inverted which is something I might need to do if I ever get into smoking pipes...

Also are they as reliable as the old fashioned zippos?

Lastly are they allowed on board a plane like the traditional zippos?

If you know any of the above please let me know :)

Thank you very much for your help!

Last edited:
I only have the original blu, in fact I didn't know there was a blu2 until I saw this thread so I will only comment on the original since the mechanism looks the same. If you rotate it 90* to the side the flame will go out. The flint tube and striker are removable (think air force survival lighter) which could be handy if you run out of fuel in an emergency. However the flint tube also pushes up onto the lid when closed. After some time the striker will wear through the lid. Sometimes it can be a pain to light as well. Lastly I have to sometimes purge the lighter in order to fill it. You do this by pressing the valve with a toothpick until no more gas comes out then fill as usual.

Its a good lighter for lighting cigars but not pipes and campfires can be iffy if there a slight breeze. I dont think they are allowed on planes because the fuel canister is pressurized like a normal bic.

I still prefer my original zippo for actual camp use. I just wish they would come up with a way to prevent the fuel from evaporating when not in use.

Thanks for the reply ghost :)

Yeah one of the reason that I prefer a blue flame lighter is because of the fuel evaporating on the original. In fact I bought a butane torch lighter insert for the original zippo called Z-plus to avoid the evaporation. It worked nicely so far. I think from what you're saying I would probably stick to the original lighter for camp tasks. Thanks again for the advice :)

Back