Zippo issue?

First, I hope this is the right place to post this, as Bladeforums is the only forum I am a member of that i thought had people that would help.

Anyways, I got a Zippo recently and unless I hold it at a certain angle the flame goes up and down with a small whoosh as if it is not getting enough air to combust with. I know this is not too common and I hav tried various wick lengths and positions with no avail. Note: I am also using the reccomended Zippo fluid.

I can think of two things that it might be. first, could you be putting too much/not enough fuel in? I've had mine do exactly what your's is doing and I can't remember what I did to fix it (I did manage to get it working right)

the other thing, which I think might be more likely is if you are lighting it right after you fill it. I have had mine do what you are describing, and if I remember correctly it did it when I let all the fuel evaporate out of it, in which case, i fixed it by letting it burn for a couple minutes

I am no expert, but that is the first 2 things that come to mind.

Check the angle of your wick, it makes a big difference. IIRC if it point to the wheel it's bigger... might be opposite. Been a while since I had a zippo. I hated the Zippo fluid, I used Ronsonol fluid, lasted longer and didn't leave a funny taste... Also what are you using for your wick? if it flops around in there it can cause a flame height difference.

You can adjust the length of the wick, too, by pulling it out or pulling it in from the inside.

I am a Zippo user and pack-a-day smoker. What is happening is that the fumes are building up in the top cover, and when you try to spark it, it is combusting the fumes (hence the "woosh" and fireball) and not lighting the wick. The trick is to raise the Zippo, just a slight upward motion, and it will clear the fumes and light the wick. Alternatively, instead of an upward motion you can also give it a slight side-to-side shake after opening the top cover.

As for wick and fuel, the wick should be slightly BELOW the top of the wind screen, maybe 1/2 centimeter. Use a fine pair of scissors to cut it at several angles (since you can't cut a straight line below the wind screen). For fuel, if you get in the habit of refueling every two or three days (before it goes dry), you'll always be good. Fill it until you see the bat (filling) start to get wet at the top. The felt cover should never be soaked, but just slightly damp. That's also a good indicator.

TIP: put an extra flint or two under the felt cover, on top of the bat, and you'll always be prepared on the day the flint dies... and it will always happen exactly when you desperately need your lighter. Then when your flint dies, you just unscrew the flint housing, throw away the tiny flint nib that's left, and replace with a fresh flint. Then put another flint under the felt cover when you're back home, and bad-a-bing. :D

Cheers,

Mag

As I said, I have tried various heights and angles if the wick, and it still has the problem no matter how long it is on for.

As you flick your thumb to spark, raise the zippo at the same time. Seems to work for me.

I am a Zippo user and pack-a-day smoker. What is happening is that the fumes are building up in the top cover, and when you try to spark it, it is combusting the fumes (hence the "woosh" and fireball) and not lighting the wick. The trick is to raise the Zippo, just a slight upward motion, and it will clear the fumes and light the wick. Alternatively, instead of an upward motion you can also give it a slight side-to-side shake after opening the top cover.

As for wick and fuel, the wick should be slightly BELOW the top of the wind screen, maybe 1/2 centimeter. Use a fine pair of scissors to cut it at several angles (since you can't cut a straight line below the wind screen). For fuel, if you get in the habit of refueling every two or three days (before it goes dry), you'll always be good. Fill it until you see the bat (filling) start to get wet at the top. The felt cover should never be soaked, but just slightly damp. That's also a good indicator.

TIP: put an extra flint or two under the felt cover, on top of the bat, and you'll always be prepared on the day the flint dies... and it will always happen exactly when you desperately need your lighter. Then when your flint dies, you just unscrew the flint housing, throw away the tiny flint nib that's left, and replace with a fresh flint. Then put another flint under the felt cover when you're back home, and bad-a-bing. :D

Cheers,

Mag

If you have a bic mini go out on you you can recycle the flints from it in your zippo. Pull the metal cover off and carefully pull the wheel off. The flint is spring loaded so as your pulling the wheel be careful you don't shoot it across the floor. The flints from the bics are actually better quality then zippos IME.

If you have a bic mini go out on you you can recycle the flints from it in your zippo. Pull the metal cover off and carefully pull the wheel off. The flint is spring loaded so as your pulling the wheel be careful you don't shoot it across the floor. The flints from the bics are actually better quality then zippos IME.

That is a cool idea. I never thought of doing that either. I think I still have a couple dead mini Bics laying around

Back