Zippo Question????

Some of you guys need to understand. I never said you need to use something everyday for an EDC to be effective. Nor did I say a Zippo is useless. I said useless items are useless (Redundant, I know, but some of you guys just don't get it)...

Me carrying a slipstick is useless, but this was not a thread about sliderulers, it was a thread about lighters. If you make the choice that you will never need a lighter then by all means don't carry one but don't argue that the list of useful things a lighter can be used for isn't validation for carrying one. Yes for non-smokers butane makes more sense...I stated that in my first post in this thread and I keep butanes in my vehicles, range bags, first aid kits, etc so I don't have to remember each one and fill them but I don't carry butane lighters for the most part. There will almost always be either a Zippo type or other liquid fuel type lighter in my pocket.

Why not offer a list of reasons why a person shouldn't carry a lighter instead of engaging in the "yes you did/no I didn't" type of argument. Why is a lighter useless?

Calm down, young man. Your replies were out of line and you know it; that much as been explained to you by several participants to this thread.

You're just saying that because you're not quick enough to think of anything else, which is sad because this isn't a conversation nor a chatroom. Stick with your side and defend it or just stop posting.

Me carrying a slipstick...

Why not offer a list of reasons why a person shouldn't carry a lighter instead of engaging in the "yes you did/no I didn't" type of argument. Why is a lighter useless?

You're absolutely right. This is a thread about carrying a zippo. I gave my opinion about it and then answered the OP's question.

To continue the discussion, both parties have to be understood first, and you're making a red herring out of my posts, so what do I do? I explain myself with " No I didn't". Not because "No I didn't" is an argument in itself, but rather because you need to understand what the initial post means.

A list of reasons to carry something isn't a reason to carry something. I could do so many things with a super computer. I can only do one thing with a cell phone. Most guys here carry concealed weapons daily, but the purpose of those are rather linear, aren't they? In the end, amount of use is what truly matters. Not how many things something can do.

List of reasons to not carry a lighter? I have none. If you can find use for it, go for it. I'm advocating useful EDC's. The usefulness of an EDC item completely depends on whether or not the carrier will use it. If you've got absolutely no reason to carry one, then don't, unless you're doing it for novelty. If it's useless in the sense that it doesn't get much use (your list of things doesn't matter), there really is no point in carrying it.

I'm saying that because I don't see any point in arguing with someone who is clearly being irrational. Like I said, you need to calm down. You've turned a perfectly innocent thread about lighters into an exposition of trolling.

I'm saying that because I don't see any point in arguing with someone who is clearly being irrational. Like I said, you need to calm down. You've turned a perfectly innocent thread about lighters into an exposition of trolling.

Irrational, how? Your posts have no elaboration, no meaning, nothing. If you're gonna call someone out on something at least specify what that something is and make a valid reason as to why it is what you think it is.

Go be self righteous elsewhere. Seriously, you're not contributing to the thread at all.

A list of reasons to carry something isn't a reason to carry something.

What exactly is a reason to carry something if 'reasons to carry' isn't a reason?

Perhaps jeffreyliu838 meant "A list of potential uses for something isn't a list of reasons to carry something"? Which does make a wee bit of sense, if you think about it.

Come now people, let's not have a Zippo flame war. :D

In the interests of impartiality, a brief list of reasons not to carry a Zippo:

1) Got to remember to top the fuel.
2) Unsightly bulge in too-tight disco pants.
3) Reduce weight on your EDC rig, if you count ounces.
4) Pyrophobia
5) Makes you a mall ninja? :confused:

OK, #5 confounds me, but there are valid reasons to never carry something you're absolutely sure you'll never need, like a zircon harpoon. I don't carry one of those because although very handy, I'll never need it.

Most of us here carry knives daily. Many also EDC flashlights, lighters, first-aid kits, etc. It boils down to:

1) If you need it: you carry it, stash it, or borrow it.
2) If you might need it: you ask yourself how important would that eventual need be to you?

To a lot of folks here, myself included, the eventual need for a lighter will be non-negotiable. It becomes a question of when you need it, you need it.

You.

Need.

To.

Calm.

Down.

You need to be a little more creative. You can't think of anything to defend your side with, so you're trying to seem like a bigger man, trying to calm the troll down. Again, stop posting if you have absolutely nothing to contribute.

dougo83, are you kidding? I'm not gonna explain if you don't have the capacity to understand.

DonTomas, in my book a mall ninja is a person who overprepares for the sake being prepared for everything because of insecurities on the personal level. Wouldn't you say carrying a useless zippo because one day you might get lost, you might meet a guy who needs a light, or because you might need a backup backup backup light source is mall ninja-ey?

There is nothing to defend, because I'm not arguing with you. You're being irrational. We cannot have a conversation until you calm down.

dougo83, are you kidding? I'm not gonna explain if you don't have the capacity to understand.

Flame on, troll, flame on. Don't try to defend your 'point' or 'logic' or whatever you wish to call nonsensical speak. Instead, continue to attempt to rescusitate your ego by insulting someone who is obviously of far greater intellect.

troll_spray.jpg

There is nothing to defend, because I'm not arguing with you. You're being irrational. We cannot have a conversation until you calm down.

Then we shan't converse. No point in dumbing my posts down so you can understand.

Flame on, troll, flame on. Don't try to defend your 'point' or 'logic' or whatever you wish to call nonsensical speak. Instead, continue to attempt to rescusitate your ego by insulting someone who is obviously of far greater intellect.

I'm going to revive my ego by insulting superior men? It seems as if your lack of intelligence is what's getting you off. You can't understand that your posts have meant nothing, and that you haven't yet understood the meaning of my posts. DonTomas gets it, and disagrees. You on the other hand can't grasp it, and remain to be contrary for the sake of remaining consistent with the general opinion. Guess what, buddy? This isn't high school.

How did intellectual merit even come into discussion? You're either insecure about your own, or you truly believe you possess some sort of gift.

And I still stand my ground. Useless items are useless. If you're going to argue with the dictionary, might as well carry one with you.

Useless items are useless.
You're right, useless items are useless. But my question to you is this: Who decides what's useless? Do we decide what's useless for everybody at all times, or do we let people decide for themselves what they deem to be useless in their own case.

I'm going to revive my ego by insulting superior men? It seems as if your lack of intelligence is what's getting you off.

Because that makes any sense at all.

You can't understand that your posts have meant nothing, and that you haven't yet understood the meaning of my posts.

No, I asked you to clarify a dumbass statement. Instead of doing so, you got your tampon all twisted and began insulting my intelligent/comprehension.

DonTomas gets it, and disagrees. You on the other hand can't grasp it, and remain to be contrary for the sake of remaining consistent with the general opinion. Guess what, buddy? This isn't high school.

It's not a matter of 'getting it.' You made a stupid statement, which you had to rely on dontomas to reconcile to the realm of logic. I will take your word on high school, though. I haven't been there in a while...enjoy your junior year though.

How did intellectual merit even come into discussion? You're either insecure about your own, or you truly believe you possess some sort of gift.

Nope. how is it that one person can be so consistently wrong all the time? 'Intellectual merit' came in when you questioned my 'capacity to understand.' For those who are a bit slow, understanding is a function of intelligence.

If you're going to argue with the dictionary, might as well carry one with you.

So...now you're a dictionary? Is that your handle on WoW?:rolleyes:

You're right, useless items are useless. But my question to you is this: Who decides what's useless? Do we decide what's useless for everybody at all times, or do we let people decide for themselves what they deem to be useless in their own case.

DT....jeffery decides what is useless because he is a dictionary:jerkit:. Geez...can't you read? :p

I've never said a Zippo is useless. These guys are completely off topic here, arguing that a Zippo can do this...can do that... I'm saying if a Zippo goes unused, why carry one?

Just because they can decide for themselves, it doesn't mean I can't formulate my own opinion about how useful a zippo will be in their situations.

Because that makes any sense at all.
It does. Again, you're not understanding it.
No, I asked you to clarify a dumbass statement. Instead of doing so, you got your tampon all twisted and began insulting my intelligent/comprehension.
It needs no clarification. It's quite easy to understand. Just read it slowly, and over and over again.
It's not a matter of 'getting it.' You made a stupid statement, which you had to rely on dontomas to reconcile to the realm of logic. I will take your word on high school, though. I haven't been there in a while...enjoy your junior year though.
It is a matter of getting it. And you don't. I'm using dontomas as an example of a person who does get it. He makes it obvious that he does, and then disagrees. You on the other hand, misinterpret my post, and then reply with a completely off topic post.
Nope. how is it that one person can be so consistently wrong all the time? 'Intellectual merit' came in when you questioned my 'capacity to understand.' For those who are a bit slow, understanding is a function of intelligence.
You had yet to understand my statement, so I insult you. You on the other hand, dismissed my post rather than respond because of "intellectual merit".
So...now you're a dictionary? Is that your handle on WoW?:rolleyes:
Useless means useless last time I checked. Yup, you didn't get it.

"Sarcasm, yet another free service I offer."**

I have to post the addendum that, in your case, I am about to start charging for it if I am forced to explain it.

**Yea...I stole this from someone, somewhere, don't recall....

Just because they can decide for themselves, it doesn't mean I can't formulate my own opinion about how useful a zippo will be in their situations.
Do you hear the words that are coming out of your mouth? Seriously, jeffrey, you're not helping the cause. How about we all relax, go downstairs and pour ourselves a nice glass of scotch before someone says the f-word. Don't make me quote the teletubbies! :(

Be nice, you hosers.

"Sarcasm, yet another free service I offer."**

I have to post the addendum that, in your case, I am about to start charging for it if I am forced to explain it.

Nah, don't explain, as we all clearly have the 3rd grade education needed to understand your elementary posts.

Back