zippo woes

zip3iw.jpg

heres a pic of my ti zippo wearing a bicycle tire tube. i have been using this setup since this thread was first started, and all i can say is it works great!!!

rhino said:
Okay you experts and other helpful types ...

I just had a problem with my Zippo. I was outside clearing snow (it's above 20F and sunny) and I wanted to use it to help free a frozen lock. I couldn't get it to light! I thought it might be dry, so I added a little fuel, but then it still wouldn't work and eventually I couldn't even get a spark. When I came inside and held it in my hands for a little while, it started working like it always does.

So ... any ideas what the problem may have been? Could some snow or moisture in the air have frozen between the striker wheel and the flint or something? Why wouldn't it light when I had sparks and I knew I had fuel?

The reason I have a Zippo is so it will work in the cold and other adverse conditions!

The Z-plus insert has a torch flame unlike the Bic lighters. Did you have the zippo in your pocket, close to your skin? It is best to try to keep it warm when it's cold outside.

I just lost my zippo yesterday, I hope I can recover it sometime. :(

rhino said:
Okay you experts and other helpful types ...

I just had a problem with my Zippo. I was outside clearing snow (it's above 20F and sunny) and I wanted to use it to help free a frozen lock. I couldn't get it to light! I thought it might be dry, so I added a little fuel, but then it still wouldn't work and eventually I couldn't even get a spark. When I came inside and held it in my hands for a little while, it started working like it always does.

So ... any ideas what the problem may have been? Could some snow or moisture in the air have frozen between the striker wheel and the flint or something? Why wouldn't it light when I had sparks and I knew I had fuel?

The reason I have a Zippo is so it will work in the cold and other adverse conditions!

Sounds like it might have been flooded. If it happens again, blow on the wick and strike again. Do you keep the striker wheel clean etc.? A good brushing occasionally will keep a built up of flint residue from preventing a solid strike on the flint. If that happens, or the striker wheel gets wet it may show sparking but it's not throwing enough to light.

I've used a Zippo since I was 15 years old, I'm almost 62 now, so 47 years. If it had fluid and flint in it I don't ever remember a failure. You can keep a spare flint under the cotton when you pull the lighter from the case and Zippo will furnish very small containers of fluid that can go on a keychain. In fact several companies make such a container. It looks handy.

I've got two cigar boxes of Zippos I've picked up randomly over the years. One day I'll have to see if there's a market for used zippos.

BTW, don't forget that if it ever breaks or has any type of malfunction like the lid falling off from flipping it, just sent it to Zippo Mfg. Co. in Bradford, PA and they'll fix it and put a new insides in it for free and send it back to you.

My Zippo sits negleted----and I carry multiple Bic's------carried in pants pocket my Zippo gives me rashes----the Bic's don't-----just that simple.

Unless I've been doing something wrong all these years???

You've probably been overfilling the lighter if it gives you chemical burns from the lighter fluid. Also, make sure to wipe the insert down after filling.

mrd74 said:
Replace the insides with a Z-Plus Butane insert....supposed to be able to melt a penny and windproof to0.

I got one of these at a smoke shop and like it very much. It serves my needs as a non-smoker gadget.

omaha-beenglockin said:
My Zippo sits negleted----and I carry multiple Bic's------carried in pants pocket my Zippo gives me rashes----the Bic's don't-----just that simple.

Unless I've been doing something wrong all these years???

Fill the lighter till you see fluid, then take it to the sink or whatever and press down(not too hard)with the finger, on the cotton filler while holding the case with the filler somewhat downward to get the excess out. Wipe it down as suggested above, and no leg raspberry.;)

I still have the first Zippo I ever owned, given to me by a girlfriend back in 1959.
A Zippo is, IMO, the best and simplest lighter on the market. If you run out of butane you're screwed, but a Zippo can be filled with many things, including gas, or Coleman fuel(nothing but clean unleaded gas) in an emergency.
Extra flints can be salvaged from those empty butane lighters that are NG now(talking serious social upheaval problems here).;)

Mike Hull said:
Sounds like it might have been flooded. If it happens again, blow on the wick and strike again. Do you keep the striker wheel clean etc.? A good brushing occasionally will keep a built up of flint residue from preventing a solid strike on the flint. If that happens, or the striker wheel gets wet it may show sparking but it's not throwing enough to light.

Thanks for the response, Mike. It sounds like you're right on the money, so I will try it the next time it happens (if it happens).

Thanks also on the advice of brushing the wheel. I never thought to do that, but it makes a lot of sense!

I do keep a whole pack of extra flints inside, so I'm good to go there.

I probably should have read the instructions, though, as I don't know how to replace the flints.

How often would I need to replace the wick?

Unless you use your lighter in the wind quite a bit, the wick shouldn't need changing. If need be (due to charring from the wind blowing the flame and actually burning the wick), take a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull straight up on the wick to get to fresh, new, white wick. It's woven around rayon balls in the insert, so there's some spare length. Cut off even with the top of the chimney with a pair of dykes. To change flints, simply unscrew the brass screw from the insert and let the left over bit of flint fall out. Then just drop a new flint in and replace the screw.

Thanks!

I didn't know the wick should be that long (to the top of the chimney). Mine was close to that, but the flame was enormous, so I trimmed it make the flame smaller (which seemed to work okay). Was that a mistake?

I wouldn't think that was a problem it would also decrease the flame size. If the flame is too big or too small, just move it either towards the flint wheel, or away from the flint wheel. Moving the wick towards the wheel makes the flame smaller, and moving it away makes it larger.

I used to love my Zippo's !! I have four of them , two of which have seen extensive pocket wear which adds to the cool factor IMO.
However I got tired of several things with Zippo's.
One , I almost always carried a pack of matches or alternative source in case Zippo didnt work for some reason.
Two , I got damn tired of fuel leaking in my pocket and soaking thru my jeans and burning my leg.
I find the ol Bic to do the job. :)

FYI - I attempted to use the Z-Plus here in Santa Fe (~7000 ft) and, of the two I tested, they did not work.

Back