Zirconium blade with carbidized edge?

I know that some makers build knives out of titanium and carbidize the edge, any reason why the same thing could not be done with Zirconium?

Zirconium is way too soft to use as a blade, clip or lock.

Heating zirconium to creates a very hard oxide. However, under the oxide is soft zirconium which is too soft to support a cutting edge. Adding carbide will not help the soft zirconium under the carbide.

I have a fixed blade knife made from a zirconium/titanium alloy. It can be sharpened very sharp but quickly dulls.

Chuck

Ask Mecha he has experience with Ti alloys and maybe Zr. He's made me a gladius with a Ti-Nb alloy which has the martensite transformation. I've only had mine a couple of days so I can't give any comment on the performance . It will though be much better than most Ti alloys !

I'm not talking about a hard use knife, but something like a small neck knife. I have some pieces left over from cutting out some scales that would work.

I've never messed with zirconium, but maybe it will work-harden if you do a bit of cold forging with a hammer, and then be able to support a carbide edge.

BTW if you're going to buy a blade don't buy cheap Chinese stuff !! Get it from Kyocera and get the black blades as they are tougher .

Back