Zombie Knives (knives brought back from the dead)

There are knives we may run across from time to time. We may have found them stuck in a tree trunk deep in the woods. Stuck there by some past hunter who, after field dressing his deer, subsequently forgot where it was.
Or, a knife we've found in a bunch of inherited stuff, or, we ran across it in the dollar bin at a thrift store. It's clearly seen it's better days.
Still we take it home because we see something there. Something that can be salvaged.
Thus, the restoration of the Frankenknife begins.
The zombie knife arises from the dead to live again!
IT LIVES!!!
MVC-001F-3.jpg

These three are my zombie knife candidates.
The top butcher knife was found in a thrift store for the grand sum of one dollar. It was a mess with rust deep enough to begin pitting the surface in a couple of areas. The rest of the knife had a coating of lighter rust.
I saw a name on it. CASE XX 431-8
Turns out, it cleaned up pretty doggone good with some 400 grit sandpaper and a light polish. It is a Carbon steel knife with an 8" blade with what appears to be Hickory scales and it has plenty of life left in it.

The second knife is a 'found in the dirt' kind of knife, but, the how's and where's have faded from my memory. It's name is long gone in the rust so it's a mystery. (I'd thought I'd tracked it's maker down at one time, but, that info has gone bye-bye too.)
It's a Carbon steel of some sort and the blade is 5" long was originally 1/8" thick before being introduced to Mr. belt Grinder. Now down to 3/32". I believe it's probably 1095 since that was a go-to steel back in the day and it has a full tang with what appear to be Delrin scales.

The third knife was deeply pitted and took a lot of work to restore. I found a "Queen City" logo on the ricasso. It's also a mystery Carbon steel, probably 1095 and it has a 6" blade with 1/8" stock. Stick tang with stacked leather handle.
It is a real cutter and, IIRC, my brother found it in the sand on the bank of the Suwannee River.

So, let's see your zombie knives.

Mods, could you please put this thread in the appropriate forum? I stupidly posted it here in the reviews and testing forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
your knife in the middle was typically referred to as a "Sportsman" everybody and their brother made 'em, good knives. Alot of times back in the day they were paired with a scout slipjoint or a hatchet in a piggyback sheath, kinda like a boys first sheath knife.
Excellent little knives though, bought an unmarked one off the bay a few years ago, gave it to my 11 year old son he referred to it as his "Bowie":D

Mine: A ww2 era Dunlap (Camillus) Cattleman Slipjoint that was my grandads and a Big ole Carbon Steel Tramontina Bowie That i bought as a kid 24 years ago, i re handled the pair in Bloodwood
cheers
ivan
transform.jpg

colonial, camillus, utica, kutmaster, hammer... the list goes on and on... they were a pretty popular and affordable knife, there was thread in traditionals a while back about them... reading that got me to buy one
ivan

It's a cool little knife. They liked thinner stock back in the day from the looks of the Queen City knife and the "Sportsman" knife.
I appreciate ya'll identifying that knife for me. While looking at it and pondering who'll I'll give it to, I've wondered when and where it was born.

Ivan, your restoration job on those knives is beautiful!:)

the slipjoint was fun and i wouldnt hesitate to do another one, the bowie was a major pain and i'm not likely to do that again...
but on both all i used were basic tools and a whole lotta creative language:D
i recommend doing a rehandle job just to get a tiny glimpse at what all these amazing knifemaker/artists do, it really kinda convinced me i didnt have "it"
so i'll just stick to using them and tinkering:thumbup:
thanks
ivan

Back