ZOMBIES! No, really

If i had a choice im going to join the winning side which would be the Zombies.. Im going to raise in the ranks and take control of the Zombie army. Before you know it my name would be Sasha the just Zombie king ruler of the world.. We shall eat your hearts.. and fry your brains... Its good to be the king...

Sasha the just

I'm headed for my parents house. When I ask my dad how many guns he has he thinks for a second and says, "I'm not sure.":eek: On top of that he buys 1000 round shipments of ammo. Plus, they're out of the way, on a well, generator, etc.

If I'm stuck in my house I'm screwed.:eek::D

You guys may find this interesting: http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf .

It is a real, peer-reviewed academic paper. It never ceases to amaze me what some folks get research funding for!

I am not worried about a zombie apocalypse. But I do have concerns about my city's ability to handle an intermediate-length disaster or public health crisis. In Toronto, there are a surprising number of people who eat out for every meal, every day, and are otherwise 100% urbanized. I don't begrudge them anything, but they are definitely going to be in rough shape if we run into a combined disease + power outage + winter storm situation (which is certainly not without precedent). I keep a reasonable stock of food on-hand, as well as everything necessary to 'camp at home' if need be. If things look like they will be rough for longer than a few weeks, I suppose I would get out of town and head north, though I imagine that could get a bit hairy.

Ultimately, if things really go belly-up, I'll be the guy with the sharp stuff and conch shells. :p

All the best,

- Mike

I checked out the website, boy am I screwed. I suck at advanced math and formulas. I did not know I have to pack a calculator in my survival gear to ward off the hoards of zombies :eek:

From the aspect of defending a house, I doubt that defending the entire thing would be beneficial. I can close off about a third of my house to make a fairly safe short term location. Includes two bathrooms with some medical supplies, and one has a tub that can be filled with water. Have to figure that services like water and power are going away quickly, so get what you can while you can.

I checked out the website, boy am I screwed. I suck at advanced math and formulas. I did not know I have to pack a calculator in my survival gear to ward off the hoards of zombies :eek:

Ha, not to worry nyefmaker, I'm probably not in much better shape than you when it comes to this stuff. Definitely not my area of expertise! Most of the formula discussed here might as well be in hieroglyphics as far as I'm concerned. In the pending zombie apocalypse, I'll let the mathematicians run their calculations while I play with my tomahawks.

Best,

- Mike

Head to the parents.

I have food storage, water filtration, guns and knives and swords and ammo. My front door is solid and easily barricaded and made completely un openable. The back door will have to be boarded up from both front and back. The lowest windows are one story up.

I would have to wait a while till things calmed down a bit and then head to the parents. They have more food storage (years and years worth). More guns and ammo, and water filtration, generator, fuel, gun power reloading equipment etc.

I would have to go out and do some wet work with my sword and battle axes. FUN!

the shotgun would go to use so would the kopis....depends on the outbreak...if they were close by id head to the mall and chill....if i had 1hr to prepare id head to the rockies...with a quick stop by the gun store :)

You know, I think that I'd probably start heading towards Northern Maine...freakin' nobody lives up there. Get out into the logging areas and you're golden. My Condor Viking machete would probably get a workout on the way up there though. It's shaving sharp along the entire length of both edges. I saw to that. :D

CondorVikingNet.jpg

picture obviously not mine.

When it comes (oh, I'm sure it will) I just hope it's the slow moving, clumsy, brain hungry zombies...not the fast moving agile zombies.

Okay, there's a million kinds of zombies and other things- everyone remembers the ultimate lone wolf survivor in The Omega Man, right?

But as a scenario for survival, does anyone else look at this as a 'serious' joke? It could be rabid overbreeding dogs, or zombies, or just an invasion of half starved people eating post EOTWAWKI stragglers.

How are you prepared for forting up? for having to shoot 500 rounds in a couple hours to keep the zombies/birds/dogs/mutant ostriches away? What if physical contact with a particular animal really WAS death?

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS ZOMBIES! C'mon man!

Now mutant ostriches? That has me worried.:eek::eek::eek:

Would CB caps and .177 pellets work on zombies?

Last edited:
The zombie brain must be pretty well damaged to take it out...you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

Folks get drawn towards the wilderness because A) there are fewer people and B) there are perceived resources - clean food and water. Neither assumption maybe correct.

The deer "overplenty" we see prancing around our pretty little suburban neighborhoods today is largely an artifact pf their essentially 'protected status' by hanging around pretty people doing pretty things and their food supplementation due to munching on local crops and pretty people's gardens. The one thing that often strikes me is when I get really deep in the woods how rare big game are to be had. Yes there are food resources, but range you have to sustain to support a limited number of people is huge. No wonder the native Americans were so war-like - they had to be!

Regarding A - the idea that there are no people in the wilderness would be helpful on the initial escape. You have less frantic fighting to do. Alternatively, you find yourself in less familiar territory. Even worse, you may find yourself not to be the first person to have this idea of coming to this little spot. You just might find yourself the 'invader' rather than the 'defender'. Even worse, the defender may have had time to entrench and you are invading from an unfortified position. There is the option of bartering, supplies and skills for communal stake in the territory. However, you are dealing with the public here. If all the 'twitchers' on these forums are any example of the kind of hospitality you are likely to receive - 'I'd blow them away for just looking at my corner of the lot' then that will be a tricky thing to do.

So I don't know what to do. I think having a great larder with supplies in a low density area might be useful. In fact, the pretty little suburban places, the parts with fewer houses between them might not be so bad a place to be. Raiders/looters are going to go for high density distribution centers and the riches to be had get poorer as the density falls off. At the same time, you aren't so far off from supply places to embark your own raids. This could be a workable scenario if you have a good and long term supply base to work from. Keeping yourself in low profile - e.g. little or no evidence of your living space would be a high priority in this scenario. Don't be seen and heard would be my strategy. You can't kill all the zombies, so why even risk it trying to kill a few of them.

kgd has made some good points. Staying put will probably be what we are already doing as the onset of lawlessness may be slow and subtle. Be honest, what scenarios do you see evolving in your area that would make you raise the "Zombie Attack" flag? We have had to bug out once due to Fire here. Next up will probably be an Earth Quake. So what do you say would make you grab the goods and bolt, or bolt the door and switch to silent running mode? Good Luck.

In most cases staying put in familiar territory would probably be the best bet. The San Diego County wild fires in Oct. of 07 were a good example of when not to stay put. The town I work in was completely evacuated for many days. Because I work for the water district, I was allowed in during the evacuation period, and I remember telling a co-worker that it looked like a zombie movie. Many of us who live in areas not immediately threatened by the fires put up people who were evacuated. For the most part people were cooperative, helpful, and generous.

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS ZOMBIES! C'mon man!

Now mutant ostriches? That has me worried.:eek::eek::eek:

Would CB caps and .177 pellets work on zombies?

It's the unexpected that gets ya.

If the zombie is rotted enough, you might penetrate decaying bone with a pellet, but you need fire or soething if dealing with real undead. If it's a virus/infection zombie, I suspect you need stopping power, penetration, and rate of fire.

Folks get drawn towards the wilderness because A) there are fewer people and B) there are perceived resources - clean food and water. Neither assumption maybe correct.

The deer "overplenty" we see prancing around our pretty little suburban neighborhoods today is largely an artifact pf their essentially 'protected status' by hanging around pretty people doing pretty things and their food supplementation due to munching on local crops and pretty people's gardens. The one thing that often strikes me is when I get really deep in the woods how rare big game are to be had. Yes there are food resources, but range you have to sustain to support a limited number of people is huge. No wonder the native Americans were so war-like - they had to be!

Regarding A - the idea that there are no people in the wilderness would be helpful on the initial escape. You have less frantic fighting to do. Alternatively, you find yourself in less familiar territory. Even worse, you may find yourself not to be the first person to have this idea of coming to this little spot. You just might find yourself the 'invader' rather than the 'defender'. Even worse, the defender may have had time to entrench and you are invading from an unfortified position. There is the option of bartering, supplies and skills for communal stake in the territory. However, you are dealing with the public here. If all the 'twitchers' on these forums are any example of the kind of hospitality you are likely to receive - 'I'd blow them away for just looking at my corner of the lot' then that will be a tricky thing to do.

So I don't know what to do. I think having a great larder with supplies in a low density area might be useful. In fact, the pretty little suburban places, the parts with fewer houses between them might not be so bad a place to be. Raiders/looters are going to go for high density distribution centers and the riches to be had get poorer as the density falls off. At the same time, you aren't so far off from supply places to embark your own raids. This could be a workable scenario if you have a good and long term supply base to work from. Keeping yourself in low profile - e.g. little or no evidence of your living space would be a high priority in this scenario. Don't be seen and heard would be my strategy. You can't kill all the zombies, so why even risk it trying to kill a few of them.

One of the reasons I made my original post is because there is such a tendency to think of things in terms fo complete social breakdown. Certainly you see it in fits and starts here on WSS, but you hear it a lot in the offline 'survivalist' community and in many popular novels. From Lucifer's Hammer on, it's a recurring doomsday theme- subhuman cannibals if not outright zombies. Okay, maybe this has been going on in novels since the Time Machine. Whatever.

I don't think that's a given. I do think it's worth planning for because the more people focus on that as a necessary part of a global disaster, the more likely it is. (And all cannibalism issues aside, I've seen it happen in other parts of the world.)

How good an idea heading to the wilderness is depends on a lot of factors-

Timing is certainly one. If you can see the signs and take a little camping trip - not a full bug out but a camping trip packed with bugout/homesteading gear- you can be early and established.

Danger level is another- We first developed out car/bike/hike bugout plan back when the bio-terrorism scares started getting big after 9/11. I'd always had it in my head that we could "go camping", but that's when I really made plans around the possibility. If you are forting up, bugging in, whatever, it's one thing. If you think safety demands bugging out, then this is one option that I think works well if you can see a possibility coming- and camping is FUN!

Environment is another- Ken brings up a good point about carrying capacity of the environment, but left out specific regional variables. I wouldn't expect a lot of big game down here where I am, but the central valley historically had an AMAZING carrying capacity for hunter/gatherer/pastoral aboriginal populations. Yeah, I'd get tired of acorn flour, but the population density sustainable down here is pretty good. Nomadic foraging wouldn't be unsurvivable, depending on sneak level.- is the population 70% gone for some reason? (Gone, not dead. could be evacuations or forced relocation more easily than a pandemic that wipes out the species.)

Honestly, north of 50, I'd feel much the same- the carrying capacity is low, but if you LIVE up there already, you can probably make it work.

Forting up- I have a very different view of that since our base level forting up plans are 9 people (counting kids) and go up rapidly depending on locality at that time of some friends and relatives. With the dogs, we could happily fort up the entire culdesac and have enough people for decent watchkeeping and communal chores.

One thing to consider, if you live within an hour or so of a country location, is making friends with a farmer or rancher- go out and help once every couple months with some seasonal task, do some varmint shooting, bring some beer- ask to help can food or for a spot to set up a beer/wine cellar and share some homebrew. Whatever it is- and then figure out a way to approach the subject of helping them should a bugout scenario ensue. This takes trust, but all societies take trust.

Check out the book the Road (the movie is coming out soon). Wildlife for the most part has died off, and some people have resorted to cannibalism. SPOILERS.

The scene in the farmhouse, where the father and son find the "pantry". The scene on the road, where the father shoots the man and his buddies cut him up for meat. Unfortunately, crap like that could happen if things "go south".

Makes zombies seem preferable to the above ;).

Check out the book the Road (the movie is coming out soon). Wildlife for the most part has died off, and some people have resorted to cannibalism. SPOILERS.

The scene in the farmhouse, where the father and son find the "pantry". The scene on the road, where the father shoots the man and his buddies cut him up for meat. Unfortunately, crap like that could happen if things "go south".

Makes zombies seem preferable to the above ;).

from a political standpoint I highly recommend Octavia Butler's Parable series. I've run across the cannibalism thing for decades now- it is a standard ploy in writing these days.

I don't buy wildlife dying off very much- changing, yes. but not dying off. I wouldn't want to eat coyote and crow and squirrel as a dietary staple, but they adapt VERY well to mankind's garbage. As do gulls and all sorts of protein rich bugs. Bugs! ewwwwwwwwwwww. But seriously- cannibalism? or cockroach stew? (sanitary issues of roaches in modern urban environments aside. Around here they live in the grass.)

Back