ZT 0200 compared to Spyderco Chinook

I've always liked reviews with comparisons to other knives so I thought I'd do one. This is intended to be a review of the ZT 0200 but I will include comments about the Spyderco for comparison.
I just got the ZT 0200 in the mail from LA Police Gear. Right out of the box my first impressions were, "man, this is a big folder!" My biggest folder right now is my Spyderco Chinook but the ZT out does it just a smidge. He's a photo of the ZT 0200, the Chinook and my EDC (Spyderco Native):
original.jpg

In the blade thickness dept. I think the Chinook gets the nod being a tad thicker:
original.jpg

as you can see, the ZT is just a hair longer closed.
Closed, you can see their sizes are close:
original.jpg

In the pocket, the Chinook gets the nod for comfort. Neither are too good if you plan on keeping keys or a cell phone in the same pocket. With the ZT clipped in the pocket, I pretty much would reserve that pocket for a knife only. The pocket clip on the pocket is much smoother on the Chinook. I think the ZT will wear out a pocket pretty quick due to the rough grips and tight clip. It is more subdued, shorter and black so it will not be as noticeable to the sheeple.
Comfort in the hand goes to the ZT. The ZT's rounded edges and ergonomics are a bit better than the Chinook. I think in a life and death situation (wet, sweaty, etc.) , the rough grips would be easier to hold onto as well.
original.jpg

Steel: I like the 154CM of the ZT better than the CPM 440V of the Chinook but that personal pref. I guess.
original.jpg

Locking Mech: Again this is a personal pref. but I prefer the lock back of the Chinook over the liner lock of the ZT. That being said, both lock up like a bank vault.
original.jpg

Opening: Both of these knives are easy to open with a little practice. I have to give the nod to the Chinook but that could be because I have several spydercos and am used to the hole. With the size of the ZT, I find the thumb stud on the blade a non-option (for me). It's awkward to get started and I haven’t gotten to the point that I can snap it open yet with it. The index finger protrusion for "flipping" is another story. It makes the ZT VERY easy to flip open. Still I like the Spyderco hole better overall.
Pocket Clip: While I like the ZT pocket Clip, I wish the area underneath it was bit smoother. I know this will end up tearing up some pants pockets. The Spyderco gets the nod here.
Build: Both of these knives are built to last and is evident right out of the box. While the Spyderco is built very well, the ZT is downright "cyborgish" and built like a tank. The ZT exhibits no blade play what so ever, is smooth out of the box, sharp as a razor out of the box, and should last long after you and I are gone. You can tell, that Zero Tolerance/Kershaw/Ken Onion REALLY paid attn. to the quality and detail on this baby.
Which would I prefer to have in a life and death situation?: I am a federal law enforcement officer and firearms instructor so I always have a knife on my non-gun side pocket for backup. I would feel OK with either of these knives in the aforementioned situation but with a death grip on them, I think I'd lean towards the ZT because of the liner lock and grip material and design.
I don't like to rely on springs for "in the field" purposes" for the simple fact that springs fail. While I do have autos such as microtech, protech, benchmade and AO's like the kershaw, they get very little field time for this very reason. For this reason, I like the easy one handed opening of the ZT 0200 and spydercos
While I wouldn't call the ZT 0200 an EDC, I think it will do well for its intended (advertised) purpose. It's tough, well built, sharp as heck out of the box, and the warranty that I've experienced with Kershaw is very good/no questions asked American made stuff. If you're looking for a big folder that will last a life-time, the ZT 0200 might be the one you’re looking for. I like mine and it will see many hours of duty use.

Last edited:
Yes, good to compare it to another folder and praise it together with criticism. Good and honest review, keep it up :)

Very nice review. I think you did an excellent job portraying these knives as completely different animals. That's what they are! :thumbup:

Good review. Would S30V have changed your preferences of steel? Thanks for taking the time, and hopefully you will do more reviews in the future. Joe

Good review. Would S30V have changed your preferences of steel? Thanks for taking the time, and hopefully you will do more reviews in the future. Joe
Yes, I like the S30V steel. I only have one knife with S30V. I love the fact that it doesn't stain as easy as the 154cm (it doesn't even show finger prints as much). The one complaint that I have heard about the S30V is that its a little tough to sharpen when it finally does dull. But I have heard that it holds it edge longer than the 154cm. For the purpose that I would use it for, I think S30V would be better as I don't use it for daily cutting tasks.

Last edited:
Nice review. Good photos as well.

Great review. How do the 154CM and 440V compare in your experiences? Have you used the ZT0200 during any extended cutting? I wonder if the rough scale texture would get uncomfortable at all.

Great review. How do the 154CM and 440V compare in your experiences? Have you used the ZT0200 during any extended cutting? I wonder if the rough scale texture would get uncomfortable at all.
I have a few knives with 440v and I've noticed some chipping/nicks. I have not noticed that on my 154CM. I don't mind a knife dulling but I don't like chipping and nicking. From what I've read on 440V its quality varies from company to company depending on how hard they get it. I think ideal hardness is around RC56. It can be harder but I think a characteristic of 440V is that the harder it is, the more brittle it becomes. So I think some companies over-harden theirs. Spyderco seems to have gotten their from a good source as I haven't had much nicking on my spyders. I have another brand with 440V and it nicks all over the place. At the right hardness, I like 154CM and CPM440V equally. I even think CPM 440V at RC 56 holds an edge a bit better. But there is a trade off; 440V is a bit harder to put a razor edge on than 154CM once it dulls. Just my personal opinions. You'll find opinions on steel can be a hot button topic amongst knife nuts. :rolleyes:
I haven't had the 0200 long enough to cut a bunch of things YET. Its coming though...
JP

I haven't sharpened 154CM before so I have no experience with it. My only 440V experience was with Spyderco and I was pleased. It showed exceptional edge holding and never chipped out on me. It does seem like it was a tough steel to heat treat correctly from what I've read. If I remember correctly that's why S30V was pushed so hard when it was developed.

Do you have any VG10 knives? If so, how would you compare VG10 and 154CM?

Excellent review, I like my ZT0200, for me it's my EDC. One thing I don't like is where the lanyard hole is located.

Great review but I'm curious, you said that you don't trust springs for self defense because they have a greater probability of failure. The liner on a liner lock knife acts as a spring itself.

Great review but I'm curious, you said that you don't trust springs for self defense because they have a greater probability of failure. The liner on a liner lock knife acts as a spring itself.

I agree to an extent. The springs I was referring to deploy the knife for usage and have allot more range of motion and thus more prone to failure. I've had several fail on me already in just playing with them. The liner on a liner lock knife requires very little movement to live up to its intended purpose. I've read varying thoughts on the debate of liner locks verses lock back style knives in a life and death situation. I tend to agree that with a "white-knuckled" grip on a knife, you would actually enhance the locking pressure on a liner lock, making it more reliable than a lock back. On a lock back style knife, you could actually release the locking mech. causing the knife to close. So even if your liner locks were a little weak from storage, over use, etc. I think if you had a strong grip on the knife, you could inadvertently engage the lock. Of course this is just my layman’s opinion. On more than one occasion, I have taken out one of my AO's or an automatic and they failed to work as intended. Fortunately, this happened at home playing with a toy, not where I relied on it to save my behind.
J

Interesting review, thanks for posting it. A few questions:

If you measured the blade thickness at the pivot point, how would they stack up, they look about the same to me.

I also noticed that the liners on the ZT are probably twice as thick as they are on the Spiderco. I am not a big fan of liner locks but that liner lock looks almost as thick/secure as the frame lock on the Leeks, I wonder which is thicker the ZT liner or the Leek scale? Does this factor at all into you perception of quality/security with the knife?

Back