ZT 0350 scale mod..has it been done?

I just got a ZT 0350 and I'm overall very happy with it,however I'd like something more form thr scales. More 3D like the 0200. Any ideas of someone who can do this or is this something I can/should attempt myself? Anything I should know befor taking the Dremel to it?

The torsion bar makes it tricky, but it's doable. I haven't done a 0350 yet, but I'd enjoy taking a look at it.

Here's an Offset I did recently:

3552676668_dc4714b5b3_o.jpg

Phillip

WoW Firebert, That's ALMOST too fancy for me. I was just hoping on an example or a little instruction on modding the ones already on it. Great looking knife,good job.
Also,where are all the Kershaw gang hanging these days?

The 350 scales are pretty thin (I'm basing this off of the Tyrade). You could add a bit of sculpting, though. Just remember not to cut into the torsion bar pocket.

G10 is difficult to work with, and it is incredibly bad for your lungs. Wear an approved respirator and/or work under a flood of water to keep the dust down. I would do all of the work by hand, rather than use a dremel (it won't take long). Wrap different-sized cylinders in sandpaper to make things like the finger-choil radius. Then smooth it all out on a flexible backing (I just use some camp-foam).

On the plus side, polished G10 looks really cool.

043.jpg

045.jpg

I thought I might try it out first in an older user knife first.What do you think? I like it it's more pocket friendly,a little less grippy but not slippery. It has a cool reptile look in the right light.
I think I'll get a hold of some 3D G-10 first for the 0350.

Looks very nice. I prefer the JYD to be smooth and sculpted like that, too.

Thanks for all the advice Firebert. I did it just like you said with one exception, I did use the Dremel but only a little.The grooves are ever so slight and the edges rounded. I used a Norton sanding sponge ultra fine grit to finish it. I wish I could take better pictures,it came out reallly nice. How can I get it to shine a little more. I tried the WD-40 thing,it helped but looking for a bit more.

I didn't realize that was the gray G10. Nice.

How fine is the sanding sponge? I usually take my wood handles to 4000 or 8000 grit finishing paper. With G10, you could go even finer with buffing compound.

I personally suck at using Dremels, glad to see it worked out for you.

Yes that is the G-10 that came with the knife from Kershaw. First I sanded it flat to remove all the factory markings. Then I kinda copied the design from the markings of a Ken Onion Taboo. Using a pencil, I drew the marking,kinda like waves,for where I would use the Dremel to make grooves. Not deep at all but enough to feel. The final step was the Norton 320 fine grit. I tried some plastic and metal polish but it doesn't look any better than the pic posted.

The fine polish is unlikely to work after 320 grit. I usually try not to go over double the last grit number. From 320 to 600 to 1200 and so on. This will get the previous scratches out.

I finished it as best I could. the photos don't really show it but the finish is a little more glossy than it appears.
011-3.jpg

010-2.jpg

Back