ZT 0500 Mudd

Just got the knife today, seems to be some slight blade play, though I think that's a design feature seeing how it's sealed, I'm guessing it'd be impossible to do that with a Strider like lockup.

First impressions:
The knife seems really, really heavy duty, I don't foresee breaking it without some seriously hardcore use, and I mean jaws of life heavy. Blade is a good shape, with an excellent edge. The lock has a very satisfying "chlank" to it. Only gripe so far is the clip. It buries into your pocket. Though it's more of a survival folder than a daily beater, so that could work to an advantage.

The ZT0500 is a Grant & Gavin Hawk design. I got my ZT0500 a couple weeks ago and have had it in my pocket ever since. I've tightened the pivot up simply because I like a tighter than normal pivot on my folders. In taking mine down and looking at the lock, I'm inclined to say that it is an extremely stout lock with all heat treated components. I really like the clip point blade. I had to modify the clip to my liking, but that was an easy enough job to do and now I like the knife even better.

LRC, there may be a tool out there somewhere to do this but I doubt that a run down to the local Ace Hardware will produce it;):D

What I did was take a couple of hex wrenches, allen keys, or whatever you prefer to call them, that would fit in the holes on the pivot. The whole disc on the side is the pivot and will turn. You could actually use any type of metal rod that will fit those holes. Then placed a small screwdriver between them and hed the keys while turning it and presto, took the pivot right off. It would probably be easier to tighten the backside pivot, opposite side of the lock button as I think the front side is already tightened down completely. I did use a tiny drop of blue loctite, the medium break type, to secure the pivot and so far so good. Has been this way for two weeks now.

Let me know how it goes.:D:thumbup::D

I realize this thread is close to ancient, but how is that 0500 holding up and how thick is the blade?

I just traded for one and now I'm looking up every thread known to man to get information about it.

Thanks ahead of time, J.

batosai, you should love the MUDD! I've seen your threads about the different type knives you have and the MUDD should fit right in there. The blade is .157" thick, or 5/32". The weight has always been listed as 4.9 ounces and that is wrong. This knife weighs about 6.5 ounces and is a SOLID feeling knife in hand. Again, I suspect you will like it. I'll be interested in hearing your initial observations.:thumbup::D

Thanks for the replies and the link as well. I'm very happy with how it sounds, especially the lock and thickness of the blade. I haven't read through all of the passaround link, but from the first two pages it sounds great :thumbup:.

Here is my review -

I was wanting a heavy duty folder for work. I'm usually a fixed blade guy, but thought I'd try something different. The Zero Tolerance line from Kershaw caught my eye, the MUDD in particular, so I went for it. I've been carrying the knife now for a couple of weeks and using it for EDC and all attendant duties. Here is what I think:

My usual work folder has been a Vic OHT, which is not a real small knife. Here is the ZT 0500 with it side-by-side in comparison -
100_2559.jpg

The 0500 is a big folder. It has a 4" blade and a 5" handle, nine inches OAL. The scales are made of carbon fiber, and the pivot pin is enclosed in rubber washers to prevent sand and water, etc., from entering the joint. The thumb stud is large and ridged. It forms part of the thumbrest when the blade is open. The stud is ambidextrous.
100_2562.jpg

The pocket clip is pretty small, and the knife is set up for tip-up carry. It can be carried left and or right. The clip allows the knife to ride very low in the pocket.
100_2565.jpg

The blade steel is 154CM; the blade is a sort of spear point, with swedges on the spine. I convexed the edge somewhat on my belt grinder. I don't care for the "tactical black" finish, but for a work knife it doesn't bother me.
100_2566.jpg

The pivot action is smooth and the lock is like a bank vault. I've been deploying the blade with some authority pretty often per day, it has no play whatsoever.

The scales were very sharp on the edges. I took a foam sanding block to them and rounded them off some. The handle, though large, is very comfortable now that I defanged it, and it is easy to use with gloves on. The thumb stud is large, and easy to find.
100_2561.jpg

The blade was pretty sharp when I got it, but sharpened up very impressively after I convexed it. I use my usual large butcher's steel and ceramic rod to maintain the edge, it seems to keep the edge for quite a long time.

What I've been doing with the knife is my usual type of work; cutting cord and twine, cutting up cardboard, cutting open feed sacks, cutting foam insulation board, etc.
One thing I would (and may still) change about the shape of the blade is the sharpening notch. I find that when making deep cuts through some materials, that notch tends to catch the material and tear, rather than allowing a smooth cut. I sometimes have to pull the blade out a bit before cutting to prevent this.

This knife retailed through LA Police Gear four about $150.00. If you are looking for a big, tough folder, this is a good one.

Andy

Good review! I agree with everything you have said! I am going as far as to send mine to Mr. Krein for a regrind. Full flat with a wicked fine convex edge! :thumbup:

I agree, good review. I have my third ZT0500 coming in the next couple of days. It is a great heavy duty knife with a very strong lock.:thumbup:

Btw Andrew, the scales are actually G-10 instead of carbon fiber, but I would'nt mind if they were cf!

I agree, good review. I have my third ZT0500 coming in the next couple of days. It is a great heavy duty knife with a very strong lock.:thumbup:

Btw Andrew, the scales are actually G-10 instead of carbon fiber, but I would'nt mind if they were cf!

Thanks! You are absolutely right about the handle material, don't know why I thought CF. :confused:

Andy

Back