ZT 0562 CF: Pictures and short review

Received this ZT yesterday. You guys have seen and read plenty regarding this knife so this won't be extremely detailed, I'm basically just another person reiterating and confirming all the great press on this knife.

Knife came promptly from National Knives, much thanks to them for having it in stock at a good price. Great retailer.

Knife came in the big pretty ZT box. Knife it self was in a bubble wrap baggy. Also received a nice ZT carry pouch with my order.

The knife feels extremely good in the hand, it is absolutely a dream when holding the knife in your typical non inverted grip with thumb on the spine. Jimping is subtle but works well, it's certainly not just for aesthetics. Could be a little more grippy, but I have no complaints in that area.

The weight in my opinion is perfect for a knife of this size. I'm not one to be bothered by a heavy folder. I actually prefer a knife like this have some heft to it.

Opening and closing the blade is very satisfying. It has strong detent and you definitely need to put some force on the flipper to deploy it, especially if your finger is resting on the lock bar. It is very acceptable though and I have no problems with deployment. It gives a very satisfying "thwack" as many have described. The thumb studs are not thumb studs, they're blade stops. I only tried for a second to deploy the blade with them and was not successful. Again, no complaints as I knew before hand that they're just blade stops. The knife is meant to be a flipper. Closing the blade is quite easy. The lock up is strong but there is no issue closing the blade with one hand like some other frame locks.

And on the topic of lock up, well.... WOW. This knife, as expected, is freaking SOLID! Thing feels freaking indestructible when it's opened. Absolutely no blade play in any direction by any means. Not even micro play that you can kinda/sorta feel etc.... none of it. Just absolutely perfect in that aspect. For me, that is a very satisfying. I really do not like having blade play in my folders. It's one of the first things I check for when I open a new knife. The knife has dual pivot screws, so only time will tell if they loosen on their own. I did not need to adjust anything out of the box. Deployment is smooth and blade is 90% centered in my eyes. So all good there.

The carbon fiber scale is very nice. Looking at it up close in person you can really see the detail. It does look pretty sweet. Most of the time it provides enough grip, however yesterday during the day my hands were particularly dry and it didn't provide much traction for me then. G10 definitely has an edge over carbon fiber in that area, in my opinion.

The blade looks fantastic up close. As you know it's CTS 204p steel. Similar to M390, which is the steel that these knives used to come with. The blade has a beautiful slight two tone satin finish with very pleasing machining marks that came out beautifully. It came reasonably sharp, not extremely sharp, but sharp enough to slice through paper. I know I can get it sharper with my sharpmaker as my other knives are a bit sharper then this and I've used the sharpmaker on all of them. I did expect the blade to be a little sharper out of the box, but it's all good. I have not really done any tests with the knife yet, but I think the characteristics of this steel and the performance of the knife in general are already well documented.

All in all I am very happy with this knife. It is my first Zero Tolerance, and I definitely see now what people are talking about when they praise the build quality of these knives. Everything about it just feels good and extremely solid and well built. I would highly recommend this knife to anyone looking for something in the price range. For me this won't be my only EDC blade, I will be carrying a smaller knife as well that will be easier to use on tiny tasks where I don't need to pull out this tank and its big blade. Lately I've been using my Delica or Leek for my 2nd blade.

14wer0i.jpg

9rlyz6.jpg

15oa4n8.jpg

2wqsboz.jpg

m9p25d.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Last edited:
wonderful knife. I carry one daily and have a backup on the way I plan to put in the safe. Another ZT worthy of looking at is the 0900 if your in need of a smaller flipper :)

Thank for the review and I just got one of these off the exchange. I am a huge ZT fan and can't agree with you more. ZT makes some very nice and solid knifes.

I also found this to be a really beautiful, well-made knife using top-of-the-line materials. Like the OP, mine had basically no flaws. Centered blade. No blade play at all. Snaps open easily. So it quickly became my EDC. It's not anymore.

The problem for me is the heavy blade/edge geometry. I usually don't like ZTs because they of their heavy blade geometry, but this model was advertised as a "slicer grind." It ain't.

I went back to my Military. Here's why:

The Military has a longer, pointy blade with a full distal taper. The ZT has a late distal taper that carries almost the full blade-stock width out to the tip. It has the familiar ZT bull-nose tip. An inch back from the tip, the ZT0562 at the spine is 0.1405 inches, compared to the Military's 0.0855 inches at that same point.

The width of the edge shoulders -- possibly the key performance measurement for a slicer -- is 0.0355 inches on the ZT, compared to 0.0255 for the Military. Both have stock edges. The ZT is more stout, but the Military slices a lot better. I like a good slicer for my EDC.

Definitely see what you're saying twindog!

Added a simple lanyard.... Might keep it on might not.

n3xngx.jpg

Back