Zt 0770

rpn

Gold Member
I got this a couple weeks ago and haven't read much about it, so I thought I would share a few thoughts.

I've been waiting for the CF version but started looking at the Microtech MiniMatrix waaaaay to much and needed something similar to calm myself down! ;)

Seemed smaller than I thought and even though I haven't been interested in aluminum handles before- I liked the look and feel from the get go.

As I strolled through the woods after getting it, played with some wood to see what I thought of the grind and blade shape. I like it! Managed this wood very easily and while I wasn't initially sure about the handle size or shape- as I used it I forgot about the handle for awhile and realized it was because it was very comfortable.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the assisted opening and popped it out. It needs a good wrist flick to open but is getting smoother. This is about as small a knife as I carry but still has as much blade as the para 2.

As a user I am enjoying the heck out of this! It is great in the kitchen and has done all kinds of food prep. I'm not versed in this blade profile at all...reverse tanto? Modified wharnie??...whatever it is- I like it! The flat grind cuts great and a rocking motion is very efficient with food.

I've been surprised how much i like it. I am carrying it more than I planned and keep opting for it over some other great folders. It's also better looking than i thought with the black handle and stone washed blade. When i look at the price difference between the microtech I was drooling over and this- I like it even more. ;) :)

I'll just close by saying the elmax has been responding very nicely to my sharpmaker. It's taking a great edge and is holding it.

I've carried my 0770 since I got it. It has kicked everything out of my pocket, including my beloved 0551. It's the perfect blade length for me and my particular example flips very nicely without the torsion bar.

I'm surprised we aren't hearing more people talk about it- such a great user. It's nowhere as refined or smooth as the 0801, but I like the thinner blade more.

Carries real nice also with the light weight and short/deep carry clip.

Picked a blem up at the Kershaw factory sale. Deassisted right after I got it. Flipper action was a bit rough at first but has smoothed out a lot. I took it apart again to check out. The detent ball was already noticeably worn down and there was a tiny squeak (not positive of the source) so I lowered the tension on the lock a bit.
I previously edc a skyline or leatherman freestyle but this is my new fave. Got a "magic box" at the sale w/ 10 other kershaws (well 1 zt) so I gotta spread the pocket time with a little rotation. Despite stripping out the handle screws on my vapor II, I'm really surprised with it and the thumb stud deployment is super smooth.

I've enjoyed the 0770 so much I got the microtech. I like the grind on the ZT more, but the microtech is a much more refined knife and slick flipper. Here are a few photos...

I really like the blade profile on the 770, I will pick one up when it comes out in carbon fiber. I like aluminum, but it scratches too much if carried regularly.

The ZT is a cutter for sure. These 2 are as small as I carry, but the ZT is getting a lot of carry time. Was just using both on a pork shoulder and cutting up a bunch of garlic. While the ZT was a bit better with the garlic, the microtech did well there and just tore it up with thick pork skin...has a nice cutting angle.

I rarely do duplicate knives, but I have a preorder in for the CF version too. Hope it has good flipping action!

Last edited:
It's a little on the small side for me but I like the weight. The 801 will not let me carry the 770 at all. She's so jealous... All that titanium has definitely gone to her head.

I really like the blade profile on the 770, I will pick one up when it comes out in carbon fiber. I like aluminum, but it scratches too much if carried regularly.
I haven't had any issues with scratching on the aluminum. I've carried it quite a bit too.

Got my 0770 yesterday. Had it 5 minutes and the pocket clip broke when I tried to put it in my pocket.
Looks like clip is made from pot metal?
Other than that I like it. Cant wait to carry it for a bit.

Got a SJ75 to lay next to it for a pic? The handle is similar in shape.

Last edited:
Just got mine today. Took the assisted opening out, no problem at all. I removed the pocket clip, not because it was in any way bad, but the aluminum is so nice and smooth removing that clip just made it that much better. The flipper action is as smooth as butter and a pleasure to use. All in all, I'm one happy ZT camper!!! :)

Nice write up rpn, I also like it,the only complaint if you could even call it that is I find the flipper sits a little low when it is closed which makes the AO harder to deploy. Overall I'm pleased.

I'm glad to hear other people have been enjoying this knife. I was using it a bunch this weekend and am still very happy with it- had a a few different ZTs and this is my favorite.

I would be carrying it more, but the minimatrix is just soooo smooth and refined...hard not to carry it! :eek:

Back