ZT 0770cf reviewed and sharpened

Hi,

Today I received my ZT 0770cf after the pre-order 10 months ago.

The 0770cf looks stunning! Even better than the pictures on the internet. It feels really light but also it feels like a real ZT: "Built like a tank".
The fit and finish is flawless. The blade is centered perfectly and the carbon fiber is grippy enough but not a pocket shredder. The liner-lock is 25% but I think it will break in a little bit more. And boy I like the backspacer! I'm glad they put this one in! It just looks really good with carbon fiber.
The pocket clip is not to big and the knife carries deep in the pocket. The jimping is great. It does not hurt and feels just functionel and grippy. The only minor thing was that the knife came sharp but not shaving sharp out of the box. So I thought lets put a mirror edge on that great Elmax powder steel. I did this with the Edge Pro Apex. I love this system. It is easy and the end result is always perfect. I started with the 400 grit stone and worked my way up to the 2000 grit stone. Finally I polished the edge a bit with the 3000 grit. The edge is hair popping right now :D I also have the 0566 with the Elmax and it holds up great. No rolling, chipping or what so ever.

I think this knife will keep my 0566 and PM2 out of my pockets for a long time!

Here are some pictures to complement the text. (pics are made with my Iphone4 so sorry for the crappy quality)

911DB630-7D39-4286-B034-F41FB87A4610.jpg

7C7026F7-8E2A-4540-B9D8-BFD627E85A3F.jpg

The Edge Pro Apex setup
E9DB82AE-A55F-4CA3-AD57-87A7C1F5DCE0.jpg

Finding the angle whit a permanent marker
5F8AF8BE-5541-416C-A6E4-6A1CFFC4630B.jpg

6D57FC53-A1DB-4883-A518-3F2BE56266D6.jpg

0770 next to the 0566
E13154BE-5069-4FF4-9107-5940D9F5F5BE.jpg

The end result with some tape to protect the carbon fiber
21860771-2B7A-416A-BF32-661B5ECD0832.jpg

And yes those are Victorinox pants
9E28BD2C-E098-4056-9177-77C1EA91EDE7.jpg

And the final one.
405dcd77-110a-4792-8cc2-449e2cdd7aa7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for the info, Ruudr. I always enjoy reading your first impressions.

As I recall you were one of the first dudes here to get his hands on the 0566 :D

better than 0566? :eek:

what do you think of the 100% curved edge vs the straight-n-curved edge on 0566? Did you de-assist it?

The blade shape reminds me of an Insingo, but with better steel. I really love this knife, I only have the Aluminum version at this point, but it makes me smile when I have to pull it out and cut something. :D

Me too. I waited a long time for ZT to come out with a lightweight knife. I'm glad it turned out to be the 0770CF. :D

The blade shape reminds me of an Insingo, but with better steel. I really love this knife, I only have the Aluminum version at this point, but it makes me smile when I have to pull it out and cut something. :D

Pretty much how I feel about the 0777, with the shrunk down version of the 0770, I'm expecting very similar performances.

The more I see this knife the more I want one :D When the aluminum model came out I didn't really care for it much but the cf model is quickly growing on me :D

I just ordered one of these (carbon fiber 0770). It will in fact be my very first ZT knife. I know I'm late to the party, but I finally arrived. Will see how I like this thing.

It will also be my first carbon fiber handled knife. The smaller size is the dominant reason for buying this particular model.

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for the info, Ruudr. I always enjoy reading your first impressions.

As I recall you were one of the first dudes here to get his hands on the 0566 :D

Thanks! Thats true. I was one of the first getting the 0566. Still love it!

better than 0566? :eek:

what do you think of the 100% curved edge vs the straight-n-curved edge on 0566? Did you de-assist it?

Well I really like the curved edge. The front and the back of the blade are almost flat. There is a small belly in the middle. So I think it suits everybody needs.
I did not de-assist it because I like the "snap" it makes when I open it :D It just feels good.

I just ordered one of these (carbon fiber 0770). It will in fact be my very first ZT knife. I know I'm late to the party, but I finally arrived. Will see how I like this thing.

It will also be my first carbon fiber handled knife. The smaller size is the dominant reason for buying this particular model.
If you're not familiar with ZT knives, I'd suggest you check out a few other models before you make a decision about whether or not you like the 0770CF. It may give you an appreciation of how far outside the box the 0770CF is in ZT's world of overbuilt knives. (I suppose you could say that from the perspective of ZT's typical offerings, it's an underbuilt knife with an overbuilt feel. ;) )

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. It's hard judging the cf texturing but your 5th picture (the one above the vs.-566 comparison) really shows it off well.

I saw one in a local B&M the other day, got to handle it for a while, and it is mighty fine. It's going on my list.

Nice write-up and review Ruudr. I especially agree with your point on how the knife feels deceptively light, yet it maintains that over-engineered feel that ZT is known for.

If I may ask, where are people picking these up? I can't find one in stock.

Keep an eye on the Dealers' Section or on the Exchange. New and highly anticipated model... stock is going to be spotty for a while. Good thing this is going to be a standard production model, so there should be no problem getting one eventually.

Back