ZT 302 vs. BM 710D2

I'm having trouble deciding between these two folders. I've been looking long and hard at lots of folders and have narrowed it down to these two, each having their own appealing qualities. I love the ergonomics of the BM 710, and I love the price compared to $300 for the ZT 302. But I've been looking at the ZT because of its solid design and bad ass look. Really I'd spend as much as I'd have to for the Busse folder but sadly I'll have to wait. If money was no object which would be the ladder?
I'd get the ZT in heart beat if it didn't use S30V stainless, I've never actually owned a knife with this metal but have read and heard that it just doesn't compare with a high carbon steel like D2. I've also owned other stainless blades that just didn't cut it.
All I'm looking for is a really good quality folder that can take punishment and not fall apart, at least right away. Even if anyone has an alternative suggestion that would be great. I'd Love to hear what people have to say.

I'm having trouble deciding between these two folders. I've been looking long and hard at lots of folders and have narrowed it down to these two, each having their own appealing qualities. I love the ergonomics of the BM 710, and I love the price compared to $300 for the ZT 302. But I've been looking at the ZT because of its solid design and bad ass look. Really I'd spend as much as I'd have to for the Busse folder but sadly I'll have to wait. If money was no object which would be the ladder?
I'd get the ZT in heart beat if it didn't use S30V stainless, I've never actually owned a knife with this metal but have read and heard that it just doesn't compare with a high carbon steel like D2. I've also owned other stainless blades that just didn't cut it.
All I'm looking for is a really good quality folder that can take punishment and not fall apart, at least right away. Even if anyone has an alternative suggestion that would be great. I'd Love to hear what people have to say.

Welcome to BF!

OK, well first off, dont be concerned about S30V. It is a excellent steel and can hold its own with D2 and other high-end steel like ZDP-189 and VG-10. Actually, it will be easier (not easy mind you), to sharpen than the D2 that the 710 has. So dont worry about S30V.

as for which you should get, i would say the ZT302. my reasons? I am like you in that i like large, heavy, powerfully built knives like the ZT. The materials are top notch (Titainium frame lock), S30V blade, and g-10. It is a very well built knife, and comes with a incredible warranty (Kershaw will bend over backwards to please a customer trust me). Dont worry about the frame lock. It is a very well made lock and keeps that blade tight. I have no complaints.

As for the 710, it really doesnt feel that egronomic to me. the axis lock, while a very secure lock and worth all the praise it gets, just rips my thumb up. i guess that was because of it being a passaround knife and all the use of it, but thats just me. The blade shape is very usefull, but that D2 can be a pain in the butt to sharpen.

The biggest thing that people will talk about other than the locks is the edge on the blade. The 710 is a slicer primarily, while the ZT is still a slicer, it is ment for heavy duty use more so. If you are looking for a knife that can still cut well, but can handle very hard jobs (just dont pry, no knife likes that), then the ZT is the right knife. if it is a slicer, and you will be around people, then the 710 may be the better fit.

New Graham has them for a good price here. thats for the ZT 0302 in brown. the green is the same price

hope that helps!

If you think twice, you take the slimer, easier to carry, understated designed knife that serves hundreds of ppl since years, over the big and heavy one, that fills up any pocket, looks like "can take any abuse" but is limited to what any knife can do (i just take what was written before) and will surely turn every eye on you as soon as you plan to cut just an apple with it.

Knives get smaller while ppl. get older.

Well, in most cases.:)

Consider the steel grades:

With a proper heat treatment both serve very well and have very comparable advantages and disadvantages. They keep a so called "working edge" wich is a bit less than shaving sharp for very long, some would say ridiculous long time. Both steel grades are anything but tough but as long as most other knives are offered with steel in that class (high carbon, high additional alloys) it makes no difference.

It is the manufacturer that makes the difference here.

Last edited:
You wont notice the difrence between s30v and D2 in terms of toughness the reports of s30v chipping etc are mostly due to heat treat issues as the steel is quite new they seem to have that sorted now.S30V is one of the best steels you can get.
Neither knife is going to fall apart under normal use ive a 301 and would recomend it.

One thing I might mention...the Benchmade is D2 Tool Steel, which is not the same as CPM D2. The newer CPM D2 is much friendlier for the user in a few ways than the D2 tool steel.

I think both are excellent knives, but one has my favor, the ZT. One tough SOB knife!

you can't go wrong with both but if I am cutting corners then I will give D2 the nod; to many horror stories with S30V

If you are bothered by S30V then how about the ZT 0200 which uses 154CM?

The handles, feel, workmanship, features of the Zt0302 are amazing! I personally don't like the width of the blade and the S30V but I would chose the ZT over the BM.

I really like the ZT line of knives, they are very well made, but they are just too bulky for me to carry daily. The 710 is an awesome folder and even though it is pretty long, it doesn't feel that way in your pocket. It also has a more neutral grip that the ZT's which is a good thing for me.

I personally prefer D2 to S30V, I like the way it feels on a stone. I have noticed S30V feels a little slick or waxy on a stone whereas D2 has a good bite. I do like S30V, I just don't prefer it, it will hold an edge about equel with D2 in my experience (with D2 haveing a slight edge with the materials I cut). I say get both.

I don't have any experience with ZT, but my 710D2 is great. For its size, it is really slim and does not take up much room in the pocket at all. I have really put mine through a lot and it is still rock solid.

Thanks for the all the info, I'm glad to hear that the S30V hasn't left people high and dry. It's hard making an educated decision about a folder because their are so many, and most rely on looks rather than quality. I've had tons of folders that never survived past a week of work without either braking or needing serious attention. My work is mobile, outside, in the elements, and with customers, so a fixed blade would be perfect, but not practical. I'm not looking for the perfect knife, just something for me that will last a while and look decent. The ZT 302 looks like a great knife, I think that's my ticket. Thanks for everyones suggestions. By the way does any one here know when the Busse folder is coming out? Or is it still a mystery.

Thanks for the all the info, I'm glad to hear that the S30V hasn't left people high and dry. It's hard making an educated decision about a folder because their are so many, and most rely on looks rather than quality. I've had tons of folders that never survived past a week of work without either braking or needing serious attention. My work is mobile, outside, in the elements, and with customers, so a fixed blade would be perfect, but not practical. I'm not looking for the perfect knife, just something for me that will last a while and look decent. The ZT 302 looks like a great knife, I think that's my ticket. Thanks for everyones suggestions. By the way does any one here know when the Busse folder is coming out? Or is it still a mystery.

ll you know what they say right? just get both! lol of course, thats also $300+, but what the heck, you'll spend WAY more in the future, so yeah, get both. I would recomend them both, but yeah, the ZT still at the top

ZT I think is the way to go, but If HOOK63 is right and the Busse folder comes out in two weeks, I might just save my pennies till then. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback offsetlover.

ZT I think is the way to go, but If HOOK63 is right and the Busse folder comes out in two weeks, I might just save my pennies till then. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback offsetlover.

Just in case you aren't in on the joke, the Busse folder has been "2 weeks away" for years now. My .02 is to find a good price on the ZT301 (low $200's) and don't look back.

Wasn't part of the joke, thanks for the update. Had some suspicions because there's no info on it. New to Forum. The ZT 301 is the one I want, great looking knife. Thanks John.

Back