ZT 562- Choose my edc project

So in this thread, the forum consensus was for me to pick up a ZT 562cf to carry exclusively for a month and post my thoughts about. Unfortunately, those are extremely hard to come by, and every place I checked was sold out. So after some looking I decided to pick up the regular 0562. Since the form is identical, swapping carbon fiber for g10 and m390 for elmax, I figured it was close enough to hold to the spirit of my original thread.

As a disclaimer, I really don't carry large overbuilt knives like this, which makes this project interesting. Typically, I carry a small sak or traditional folder, or one of the smaller Spydercos. Here are my thoughts after 24 hours of use and carry, broken into what I think are the major categories.

Carry
Holy crap, this thing is a beast. Length-wise, it's not too bad, and it's actually very thin, but it is hefty. After a quick acclimation period, I don't think it's too heavy, but it's definitely noticeable. More so than necessary? I dunno, but I would change this if I could.

The clip is really nice though. Deep carry, good retention, easy draw. This should be used on more KAI knives, it's really very good. I prefer deep clips for the discretion, I'm not a big fan of advertising the fact that I have a knife on me, and I don't really need to get to my knife urgently enough that a deep carry clip poses a problem.

Cut
Does it cut? Yes. Could it be better? Yes. The big problem here is the thick blade/grind. It’s described as a “slicer grind,” but that might be a bit generous. Compared to a SAK, Chaparral, Dragonfly, hell, even a hollow-ground Mini-Grip (555hg), Skyline, or Cryo, it’s a chunky grind. I don’t have the tools to measure it, but it’s noticeably thicker than any of the above, and you can tell especially during food prep, when it tends to break things rather than part them neatly. I know, I know, I can hear you all now: “THIS ISN’T A FOOD PREP KNIFE, IT’S TOO BADASSZS!!”. Thing is, it’s a knife, and it should cut well, above all else.
View attachment 524962
Don’t get me wrong, the ZT isn’t terrible at all, I just recognize that it could be better. It manages to get the job done, and I”m sure the blade is much stronger this way, I guess I just don’t understand why that trade-off was made.

I did notice that the edge bevel wasn’t quite the 20 degrees that I typically sharpen to, after using the Sharpie trick. So I took it to the stones, and I was very pleasantly surprised that it sharpened up really easily, taking a very fine, razor edge after not a lot of work. This was very unexpected, considering Elmax’s composition is fairly close to S30V and I was using natural (but high quality) stones. It also seems to hold an edge really well, though considering the somewhat light use I’ve given it, I wouldn’t expect it to dull yet. In terms of how it sharpens, it reminds me of a better version of CPM154, or VG10/N690Co, or a really really good, stainless version of 1095. Two thumbs up so far.
View attachment 524964
Comfortable to Use
Ergonomics on this knife are amazing. It is comfortable and secure at the same time, without any hot spots to be found. I really can’t say enough good about it. This area, IMHO, is where the 560/561 series falls off, for me. Those knives are terrible in extended use, because of that damned jimping. This knife uses the handle design to lock it in your hand, and it’s not going anywhere. At the same time, I could use this for hours without a problem.

Cool
Very. Clean and attractive shape, without falling into the category of “pocket frosting.” Looks like a well-made, highly-tuned functional tool. In fact, I’m glad I went with this one instead of the CF version. Based on the pictures I’ve seen, the satin blade and CF handle make it pop a little too much for my taste. The plain black G10 and deep, even stonewashing is much more unassuming, purposeful, and focused, and I prefer it. YMMV. Think well-dressed gentleman in a suit, vs well-dressed gentleman in a suit, with a ring on every finger, and a grill.

Also, I’d like to mention the fit and finish, which is impeccable. Blade is centered, lockup is solid, yaddadah yadddadah, you knew that already. But this thing has been machined like a jewel. Every contour, cut and plane is done cleanly and evenly, with tight tolerances and perfect execution.
View attachment 524963
The flipping action is superb. Maybe a hair less crisp than the 801 I owned, but still very very good. It has that same loping action that the 561 has, where even a slow flip seems purposeful, like you’re putting mass in motion. Think working the action on a nice bolt-action rifle, or snicking through gears on a sports car with a proper manual shifter. Very tactilly-satisfying, and great for traffic jams ( I can’t be the only one who does this).

Capable of a Wide Range of Tasks
Because of it’s security and comfort in hand, and generous size, I’m sure this knife is capable of use above and beyond the normal EDC routine, and this is probably why the blade and grind are so thick. It’s very comforting to have such a solid tool in your pocket (heh). I’m not sure if I’m going to need to use it above and beyond during this month of testing, but if I do, I have no doubt it will perform.
View attachment 524968
I’m eager to see how it performs for the rest of this month. Despite my bitching about weight and cutting performance, I really really like this knife. I just can’t help but think what it would be like if these areas were improved. As it is, it’s a fist full of f*ck yeah, and sometimes that’s exactly what you want. Stay tuned for more updates, and follow my time of testing and carry @edcdad on Instagram, #choosemyedc

As an aside, does anyone know why the blade is so thick? I mean, I’m figuring it’s for prying things, but I’ve never needed to pry anything with my knife, I tend to just go get a screwdriver. Can anyone give me an example of a time when you were glad to have a thick knife so you could pry something open? Or when you didn’t have one and wished you did? I’m sure there’s a reason, probably one that isn’t an everyday occurrence, I’d just like to hear some of them. I can’t help but think a 3mm blade would keep it fairly stout, probably as stout as it really needs to be, while improving the cutting performance and reducing weight.
View attachment 524965

Nice detailed review. I also have the elmax version and dig the thick blade. Reminds me of my SnG thickness wise.

Thanks for the great revue! I like not worrying about popping staples out of shipping cartons, or trim off doorframes, that kind of thing. I currently carry a MiniGrip.

Thanks for the great revue! I like not worrying about popping staples out of shipping cartons, or trim off doorframes, that kind of thing. I currently carry a MiniGrip.
Nice! I'll have to try that and post pictures of the outcome

Every ZT I have ever seen, except the 0770, has had a thick blade. I do think the blades are designed to withstand mild abuse like light prying, or maybe cutting tough material in an emergency. I think the 0562, which I own, makes for a good larger EDC, and could really handle outdoor chores well. For folding food prep, I would take something like my Spyderco 110v Manix 2 or a Spyderco Military. Spyderco makes lots of thin, flat ground dedicated slicing and cutting blades.

Back