ZT Passaround comparisons (0350CBZDP, 0301, 0551, and 0561) PIC HEAVY!!!

SpyderPhreak

Rocketman for hire
Platinum Member
I received these four ZT knives in the current ZT Passaround #2. :D From left to right, they are the ZT 0350CBZDP, the 0301 Tiger Stripe, the 0551 in Elmax steel, and the 0561 (also Elmax). :thumbup: I’ve had them for approximately one week, and had time to use each. I sharpened them all upon receipt, in part due to the fact that a couple of the knives had fine burrs on the edge (0561 and 0350). I gave them a few licks on the fine stones of my Spyderco Sharpmaker at the 40 degree setting to keep the factory edge geometry intact. Shaving sharp again, and no burrs. Here they are:

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p4.jpg

Of these knives, I only have a 0350. Mine is DLC-coated S30V, while this passaround knife has the Kershaw composite blade with legendary ZDP-189 edge steel, one of my all-time favorites. ZDP can take a screaming edge and hold it seemingly forever. This knife has coarsely textured Black G10 slabs on both sides, with relatively thick steel liners, and is an assisted opener. The texture on this g10 has a larger checkerboard pattern to it when compared to my 0350, which I personally prefer (due to the type of “peel ply” used during manufacturing). The 0350 is the only knife of this group which is not a frame lock; it is heavy-duty liner lock. The 0350 isn’t my favorite knife though. While I do appreciate recurved edges, in my opinion the 0350 is just a bit too blunt at the tip. This design certainly has its merits, but for me it is not a daily carry (mine stays in my big game gear bag). Also, I am not personally a big fan of coated blades, so the ZDP-189 composite blade is certainly an upgrade in my opinion.

The big brother to the 0350 series is the 0300 series. This particular knife is the 0301 Tiger stripe (but as my daughter pointed out, Zebra stripe would be a more appropriate name). It has 3-dimensional machined OD green G10 slabs on one side (backed by a steel liner), and black anodized 3-dimensional machined Titanium on the other side where the frame lock resides. Like the 0350 series, it is also assisted opening. This blade is DLC-coated S30V, with silver stripes added for appearance, which I personally don’t care for. This knife is a BRUTE; big handle, with big, beefy recurved blade, and it fit my big mitts pretty well. The assisted opening device opens the knife an authoritative thwack! I showed all of these knives to my Friday night pokers buddies and the 0301 was by far their favorite. This knife was meant for big hands (likely for gloves), and is the heaviest of the group. I would call the 0301 the most heavy-duty knife of this group.

Next we have the 0551. This is an upgraded 0550 where the blade is made from the new Elmax particle metallurgy (powdered/sintered) steel, and I believe it was a limited edition. I have had a few chances to use Elmax now, and I can say I am quite fond of it so far. While I prefer this blade geometry over the 0301 and 0350 in general, nothing in particular on this knife stood out to me. It has a flat, patterned G10 scale backed by a steel liner on one side, and a flat, smooth Titanium scale on the other side where the frame lock resides. There is no flipper on this knife, and it is not assisted-opening either; just the regular ambidextrous thumb studs for opening. With nearly identical form factors, in my opinion, this knife is every bit as good as a large regular Sebenza (which I recently had in another passaround) at a fraction of the price, just without the meticulously detailed finish. That is not a knock against the Sebenza, rather a large compliment to ZT/Kai.

Definitely my favorite of the bunch is the 0561. I carried it the most while the knives were here, by far. I love the KVT flipper, and the basic spear-point blade geometry is a favorite of mine. Elmax takes a nice edge, and seems to hold it pretty well too. It stayed sharp the whole time I used it, though I didn’t really push it terribly hard. It has 3-dimensional machined coyote tan G10 slabs on one side with a steel liner, and 3-dimensional machined Titanium on the other side where the frame lock resides. This is the longest knife of the group (though the blade is the same length as the 0300 series), though steps were taken by ZT to lighten this knife by machining out a lot of Ti on the inside of the knife, so it only weighs about as much as the 0550. This knife fits me very well, and after only a few days in my pocket, I didn’t even have to think to actuate the KVT flipper when pulled from my pocket. I will DEFINITELY be purchasing one of the 0560 knives, though I will probably opt for the 110v/carbon fiber version whenever it arrives. For me, this knife was a grand slam home run!

ZT passaround knives ordered from shortest to longest:

p5.jpg

p6.jpg

Now comes time to compare these to some of my own knives which are similar in size. The players are (L to R) Kershaw JYD II composite blade (CPM D2), Kershaw JYD II (Ti/SG2), the 4 ZT passaround knives, Spyderco Military (DLC coated S30V), Spyderco Manix 2 (S30V), Benchmade 275 Adamas (D2), Benchmade 630 Skirmish (S30V), Benchmade 710 (D2), and Benchmade552 Ritter griptilian (not pictured). I will refrain from too much commentary beyond this point, as I have probably bored you enough at this point.

p7.jpg

p8.jpg

ZT 0301 and Benchmade 630. I love my BM 630, and to be blunt, I prefer it slightly to the 0301. The 630 isn’t quite as heavy, and has a better tip than the 0301. However, the 0301 has a slightly more comfortable grip overall.

p9.jpg

p10.jpg

p11.jpg

p12.jpg

One from each maker. ZT 0561, Benchmade 275, and Spyderco Manix 2.

p13.jpg

p14.jpg

p15.jpg

p16.jpg

ZT 0551 and Benchmade Ritter Griptilian (forgot the Ritter grip in the lineup photo). Not really in the same league, big similarly sized.

p17.jpg

p18.jpg

p19.jpg

p20.jpg

ZT 0350CBZDP and Kershaw JunkYard Dog II.

p21.jpg

p22.jpg

p23.jpg

ZT 0350CBZDP and Kershaw Titanium/SG2 JunkYard Dog II.

p24.jpg

p25.jpg

p26.jpg

ZT 0561 and Spyderco Military.

p27.jpg

p28.jpg

p29.jpg

p30.jpg

ZT 0561 and Spyderco Manix 2.

p31.jpg

p32.jpg

p33.jpg

p34.jpg

ZT 0561 and Benchmade 710. Very different knives, but I love them both. The 710 punches well above its weight class. A LOT of knife in a slim, easy to carry package (much like the BM 943).

p35.jpg

p36.jpg

p37.jpg

p38.jpg

(continued, too many images. :rolleyes:)

ZT 0561 and Benchmade 275. The 275 is a TANK of a knife. The grip is quite thick and hand-filling, yet extremely comfortable. The 275 is the closest thing to a folding fixed blade I’ve ever handled. Blade shape between these two is very similar, but I do like the higher primary grind of the 0561 better. VERY hard to pick a favorite between these two, however the BM is clearly the better value at less than half the price of the 0561.

p39.jpg

p40.jpg

p41.jpg

p42.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed! :cool:

Woah, now that' s alot of pictures!
I love em though! Good job:)
May I make a tiny correction? The Spyderco Manix 2 is actually a Manix:)

Back