ZT0560 Issues (long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're helping kershaw withe thier QC here....

I had a 560 a while back and traded it off cause I felt it it hung too low in my pocket. I decided to give it a second try and I got a 561 yesterday. The sticky lock is insane. I know it'll break in. I did the sharpie and pencil thing. Not too worried about that, its just a pain for now and kind of embarassing when you show off your knife, tell people how much you paid for it.......and you cant close it without making a scene. Anyway, my blade has some serious grind marks that can be seen and felt on the g10 scale side from the middle of the blade to the tip as well as the entire top swedge. Everywhere else is smooth. If you scratch your finger nail on it, it makes a zzzzz sound If you know what I mean. I guess its just cosmetic so im not too concerned. I still love the knife and I bought it to be a user. Just kinda bums you out when you throw down cash on something and have to keep messing with it. Ill see if I can snap a pic of it lster today.

My lock bar disengaged when applying pressure to the spine of the knife. It also had too much lock bar flexing for my liking, as this impacted the lockup slightly. I could only theorize that this could get worse over time. Initially, I requested a refund for the knife, but was denied. Upon returning the knife, they were unable to replicate the lock bar disengaging, all it takes it a rinse in some water, or a tiny bit of oil. I understand this is supposed to be the case, but I wasn't happy with it.

I got a call back from their service dept, and they offered to buy my knife back, as they realized they're never going to make me a happy customer. I accepted. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but at this price point, we're entering custom, mid-tech territory. All I can do is compare the behavior to other frame lock flippers, the southard has zero issues what-so-ever. I may be a picky customer, but I realized it just isn't worth it for the amount spent. I will now take their check and apply it toward a custom flipper.

If I'm going to spend 260 on a blade, I want it to last my lifetime. Even under hard use. The way Thomas from KAI made it sound, is that these knives are like any other tool that might wear out within a few years of use. I understand a lot goes into the 3d machining, etc, at the end of the day I couldn't justify it.

Your post was a little confusing because you talk about blems a bit. YOUR knife was not a blem, correct? If ZT made it right, or at least got it back to you to the point where you could sharpen it to your satisfaction, why would you consider getting rid of the knife? All companies have a certain percentage of products that leave the factory less than perfect. ZT/Kershaw has corrected the problem, and if not, I would send it back again and give them another chance or demand a replacement knife.

To be clear, I take no issue to anything posted. I appreciate the responses. Being in my line of work I've heard it all and been called every name in the book, comes with the job. My 0560 is NOT a blem, I was just surprised that many of the blems purchased and posted about in this forum have little to no issue, but are still designated as blems. Mine was not a blem, yet it came to me new in unusable condition, mainly due to the lock bar failures. I don't want to keep sending in this knife to be fixed, that's not what I buy (or in this case gifted) knives for, nor do they sit in my safe to be looked at. I buy them to use. I can't use a knife that's sitting in a service department for a month every time I send it in. I just wish they would have gotten it 100% when they had it. Like I said in my OP, I really wanted to LOVE this knife, right now I'm just SATISFIED with it. If you were the owner of KAI, would this type of statement sit okay with you? Also, again as stated in my OP, I will NOT get rid of this knife because it was a gift from my wife.

Last edited:
Does this apply if I bought it off of Ebay and not a dealer? Are they going to ask me for a reciept or something? This is my first Kershaw, sorry if these are dumb questions.

Kershaw did not ask me for a receipt or proof of purchase. Just go on their website and download the form and fill it out.

I had to send in my ZT 0780 for blade play in both directions, to the point where the lock would easily disengage if you pushed on the spine. I made special note of it on the warranty paper. When I got my knife back it was sharpened, but that was it. I don't know if they even touched the lock issue.

This is all a little discerning when you want to spend money on what we all hear as a good knife companies knives. Cause I am possibly going to buy a 561 on monday. I have a zt350 and I have some quality issues with that as well.
Uncentered blade as well as side to side play. And the machining on the jimping top and bottom has left little divots in the steel. Just looks unprofessional. Especially when I buy a Spyderco Tenacious and I have none of these issues and that's a $30 dollar knife. Just goes to show you how good some companies are lately.
Hopefully the BladeHQ has a handful I can hand pick one from. So I don't have these kind of issues.

I've owned several of the 56x series of knives I believe 3 0r 4 560's and 1 561 and they all had issues, I ended up selling them all off and never looking back, now the 0300 Is an awesome knife as is the 550 I've owned several of those as well and all have been great knives, so I'm not hating on Zt's The 300 and 550 are great knives, but I dunno what was going on with the 56x's but every single one I owned had some sort of problem.

My first 560 was great. I shouldnt have sold it. The lock on this 561 is insane though. Ill give it more time before I take it apart.

I had a very similar issue with my 0561, as a matter of fact when I look at the vid I see it is off center by a bit.

[youtube]b0YPSjLcGyI[/youtube]

I sent it back to ZT for repair and received a perfect specimen in return... their CS is top notch! However..... I lost confidence in it, and didn't want to risk another slipping lock face fiasco so I sold it off immediately after getting it back...

Since you are carrying yours, please let us know down the line how its holding up.

My first 560 was great. I shouldnt have sold it. The lock on this 561 is insane though. Ill give it more time before I take it apart.

To be clear, I take no issue to anything posted. I appreciate the responses. Being in my line of work I've heard it all and been called every name in the book, comes with the job.

Well, I hope nobody here called you any "name". I certainly did not, nor did anything you posted warrant any type of ill will, nor disparaging remarks.

My 0560 is NOT a blem, I was just surprised that many of the blems purchased and posted about in this forum have little to no issue, but are still designated as blems. Mine was not a blem, yet it came to me new in unusable condition, mainly due to the lock bar failures. I don't want to keep sending in this knife to be fixed, that's not what I buy (or in this case gifted) knives for, nor do they sit in my safe to be looked at. I buy them to use. I can't use a knife that's sitting in a service department for a month every time I send it in. I just wish they would have gotten it 100% when they had it. Like I said in my OP, I really wanted to LOVE this knife, right now I'm just SATISFIED with it. If you were the owner of KAI, would this type of statement sit okay with you? Also, again as stated in my OP, I will NOT get rid of this knife because it was a gift from my wife.

I can understand that, and I would be disappointed too if I received a knife that was sub par and had to return it multiple times. I have been very fortunate in that out of all the knives I've purchased, new, sight unseen, and second hand, here on the sales forum have all been exactly as advertised, and excellent. Again, I would send it back until satisfied, and just use another knife for your requirements until this one is made right, or get a refund and buy something else. I wouldn't keep something that I didn't feel good about even if it was a gift from my wife, but obviously, YMMV, so that is again your call. Good luck, and stay safe in your job!

My lock bar disengaged when applying pressure to the spine of the knife. It also had too much lock bar flexing for my liking, as this impacted the lockup slightly. I could only theorize that this could get worse over time. Initially, I requested a refund for the knife, but was denied. Upon returning the knife, they were unable to replicate the lock bar disengaging, all it takes it a rinse in some water, or a tiny bit of oil. I understand this is supposed to be the case, but I wasn't happy with it.

I got a call back from their service dept, and they offered to buy my knife back, as they realized they're never going to make me a happy customer. I accepted. Normally I wouldn't care so much, but at this price point, we're entering custom, mid-tech territory. All I can do is compare the behavior to other frame lock flippers, the southard has zero issues what-so-ever. I may be a picky customer, but I realized it just isn't worth it for the amount spent. I will now take their check and apply it toward a custom flipper.

If I'm going to spend 260 on a blade, I want it to last my lifetime. Even under hard use. The way Thomas from KAI made it sound, is that these knives are like any other tool that might wear out within a few years of use. I understand a lot goes into the 3d machining, etc, at the end of the day I couldn't justify it.

:thumbup: +1

Mine still sticks. I'm on the third sharpie application. The detente is just so-so. Also, I think the threads for the tip-up left side carry are stripped at least part way because I couldn't get the screws to grab. They do grab on tip-down on the scale side but because of the thinness of the Ti liner I'm not very confident using it. The Southard is a gem, but of course has only one carry mode which is why I was going to relegate the ZT to the left side. I've sent an email to ZT about a week ago about the left-side carry but haven't heard back from them. I'm just satisfied with the knife, not excited about it. Perhaps I'll like the 566 better.

Well, I hope nobody here called you any "name". I certainly did not, nor did anything you posted warrant any type of ill will, nor disparaging remarks.

I can understand that, and I would be disappointed too if I received a knife that was sub par and had to return it multiple times. I have been very fortunate in that out of all the knives I've purchased, new, sight unseen, and second hand, here on the sales forum have all been exactly as advertised, and excellent. Again, I would send it back until satisfied, and just use another knife for your requirements until this one is made right, or get a refund and buy something else. I wouldn't keep something that I didn't feel good about even if it was a gift from my wife, but obviously, YMMV, so that is again your call. Good luck, and stay safe in your job!

Not at all! No one said anything in this thread that could be remotely taken as offensive. So far I've read nothing but good advice and/or informative insight. I won't send it back again because it is safe to use now since they fixed the lock up issue. Everything else is good to go. And thank you for your kind thoughts!

Well guys, the good thing about Kershaw/KAI is that they are great to deal with. I've owned lots of Kershaws and had a couple of minor issues with their speedsafe on a couple of them. A simple call and two new speedsafe springs showed up at my door. I've owned several ZT's now and had ZERO issues. Now I own a 0560 and have noticed a very slight amount of up and down blade play. Since I'm a knife user in most respects and not a collector (for investment), it didn't bother me too much and had planned to keep it. Fast forward a bit and a couple of weeks ago, a friend called and asked me if I'd help him dress some white-tail cull bucks and does. Well, the fist deer I start on (with a reverse grip) with the 0560 and the knife folds up on me cutting the heel of my hand slightly. I thought maybe I hadn't engaged the lock sufficently so I tried again but unfortunately, this time, the knife had blood on the lock from the deer (and a little from my hand). After closing up on me a few more times, I finally put it up and finished three deer with my 0550. A simple email to Kershaw explaining what had happened and they sent me a .pdf return form. I haven't sent it back yet but I have faith that they'll make it right; they always have. All this being said, in every other aspect, the 0560 is one heck of a great knife. Some how, as big as it is, it manages to pull off a large EDC status well on duty and off. And since this thread has no photos, here's the gratuitus photo; it is a great looking knife to boot.
IMG_7511.jpg

Last edited:
The seller on Ebay specified it as new. Is there a way to know if he sold me a blem, or will Kershaw know it when I send it in? Thanks for the responces, it's much appreciated.

Daft Slice -

We mark our blems with four X's on the back sie of the blade - XXXX If it does not have those four X's, we will fix it regardless of where you bought it.

Apoclaypse21, let's discuss this more tomorrow when I'm at work - it's late and my brain is pretty mushy right now. I will talk to the warranty department tomorrow and see what I can do.

To those of you who have posted about issues with your 0560's in this thread - please contact our warranty department f you have an issue with your knife, particularly a lockup problem. We will make it right.

As I look back on it, I think KAI should of put a steel insert on the lock bar. Failure to do so, has proved to be the down fall for this particular ZT production model.

Why would the 0560-1 be any different than the other ZT/Kershaw Ti frame-locks? I'd think it would be made the same way and out of the same materials?
I myself can't tell any difference between the lock up on my 0560 from the others I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back