ZT0801 Detent Worn

So I got my 0801 a few weeks ago and have been flipping it nonstop since, but lately it has felt gritty so I took it apart to see what what causing it. It turned out the detent ball was wearing away pretty badly and now the blade can be easily flipped open with just the wrist movement and nothing else. Does ZT cover this type of stuff in their warranty? I did some cosmetic changes to the scales and polished the pivot screws, but nothing major that would/should affect the structural integrity. Any advice is welcome.

Changes that were done.
4c1d0711-e89a-4de4-ad46-9b975afda4db_zps369ae62d.jpg

Detent ball.
14ef27cb-0664-4ffd-b3bc-1ff15d7e77a5_zpsf2d2bbd8.jpg

ZT usually will still honor warranty when cosmetic changes are made, and the detent shouldn't wear out like that just from flipping it unless you were opening it literally nonstop. I flipped mine so many times I couldn't even start to count it, and the detent was absolutely the same after it broke into perfection.

Even opening it repeatedly for hours on end shouldn't have a significant impact on the detent ball (otherwise a LOT of my knives would have issues ;)). You could try putting a little (emphasis on "little") grease or oil on the detent ball and the part of the blade where it travels.

Or, contact ZT warranty, and the can advise you on some options.

Back