zt300's, stripes?

How are made? Is it one coating, with another coating over that, of another color?:confused:

ok, i think i understand:
the black coating is blasted off in patterns, to reveal the cool stripes.:thumbup: is that right?

Tim, is there any chance that you will offer the ZT0300's without the stripes as a normal production model in the future? The TAD gear versions with Satin and all black blades look fantastic!

Tim, is there any chance that you will offer the ZT0300's without the stripes as a normal production model in the future?
I guess it's possible, but there has been no conversations about it to date. Wouldn't look for anything this year.

The stripes are the only thing keeping me from buying one.

We know Rat, we know. :rolleyes:

:D

I too, don't really care for the stripes, but the knife itself outweighs
the other. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just buy a car because it looked
good. Or a loaf of bread because one packaged looked better than the other.

But I do get your point. You don't like stripes. That's cool by me.
Not that you need my approval or anything.

Time for a milkshake? :D

mike

I don't have one but, now that I know how the stripes are done, if I find I don't like them, could easily bead blast them to a nice gray.
* am looking very hard at a ranger green.

There are/were at least three options in the 300 series that came without stripes. Did they not work for you?

I assume the models you are referring to are the TAD gear offerings - there have actually been five offerings to date - the problem is not the way they look - the problem is paying an extra $80-$100 for a monotone blade.

I have the TAD gear all black blade/carbon fiber model, and I absolutely love it. I will also most likely take the price hit for the satin blade/green g-10 model, but $80 extra for a different chamfer and a satin blade feels a little steep. I recognize that Tim Galyean ground all the chamfers hisself, but it still feel like a lot of money.

I should note that the Carbon fiber one came with an awesome carbon fiber scale, so the price jump felt completely reasonable.

In any case, I don't mean to be a whiner - this knife is awesome stripes or not!! I just think it would be nice to have a standard priced model that was offered sans stripes. Satin finish or glass bead blasted would look rather nice....

Heck, let's make the combat swedge standard as well!! :D

I went up to NGK last week and bought the tan one; didn't think I'd like the stripes, but they grew on me quickly. I bought it to use, and in the process the stripes have begun to fade just a little where they were used (cut all the carpet out of the nursery to put down new stuff-like I said I bought it to use); I think the fading makes it look even cooler, now I like that look better than the plain. By the way, it cut carpet like a demon. I told my wife today that I'd be in the ER sooner or later with a nasty cut from this thing...

I'm with Rat on this one.

I don't ever see myself owning a knife with stripes or camo on the blade.

If they had one with the carbon fiber handles and the satin blade (uncoated), I'd probably finally give in. But as of now the non-striped options still haven't moved me to buy one.

We know Rat, we know. :rolleyes:

:D

I too, don't really care for the stripes, but the knife itself outweighs
the other. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just buy a car because it looked
good. Or a loaf of bread because one packaged looked better than the other.

But I do get your point. You don't like stripes. That's cool by me.
Not that you need my approval or anything.

Time for a milkshake? :D

mike

I wouldn't buy a car because of looks, but I might pass on a car if it was freshly painted, and then had stripes sandblasted all over. :D

In this case, making the knife look good would take less effort.

I'm not sure if it applies to the CF version, but one of the other differences in the blades that might help justify the higher price is that They were hand ground by Tim Galyean.

Back