Zulu/Tribal Spear photos requested

I'm not normally a single blade guy, but wanted to try out a zulu as I feel it is the most versatile of all the single blade shapes. In order to do it cheaply, I bought a Steel Warrior locking copperhead and reground the clip blade to a zulu spear. I had to shorten it quite a bit, but it made a good, lightweight knock around knife, with a solid backlock and "guarded" bolster.

ZuluCLvinylopen_zpsc01096e2.jpg~original

A "Zulu Spear", which Case has recently called a "Tribal Spear" is a spear with the point off center. Sort of a cross between a spear and a drop point.

The Case teardrop jack has a "zulu spear" blade.

...What Frank said^^. Here's a bit of history about it...

Thanks for the very helpful information, Frank and Jake! :thumbup::thumbup:
There are very few days that I don't learn something new and interesting at BF! :)

- GT

I hope this isn't out of place. AG Russell calls it a Curved Regular Jack with a "Zulu Spear" blade.

AGR%20curve%20jack%201_zpsnwdcn5vz.jpg

Works for me. AG calls it a "Zulu Spear" on his web site and credits Schrade for the blade shape.

our zulu spear patterned after a 1920s Schrade blade; basically a droppoint with a strong cut swedge

Thanks for the pics. Black mamba that AG Russell would be a great cheap alternative.

My sleep study went much better than the previous one. Got the best nights sleep I've had in a lllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg time.

Thanks for the pics. Black mamba that AG Russell would be a great cheap alternative.

My sleep study went much better than the previous one. Got the best nights sleep I've had in a lllllllooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg time.

Thanks for the update, Dan; glad it went well. :thumbup::thumbup:
Do the docs think the Zulu Spear photos helped?? :confused::D

- GT

Dan I'm glad it turned out OK. I sleep very badly due to frequent pain and I know how tiring it is to get up and then have to work.

Thought this French one in Ebony/Sandvik might count too.

IMG_3037.jpg

Thanks, Will

I thought the Zulu was a Tony Bose knife design that he's freely shared with other custom makers but only shared with Case for a production version. IIRC the name Zulu applied to both blade and handle, not just the blade shape. Due to the name already being used for another company's blade, Case changed the knife's name to Tribal Spear.

I love my Case/Bose, but it was just a bit large for EDC. Then I found a beautiful version that Rick Menefee had shrunk down to 3 3/8", and now it's a perfect pair : )
58b2c812-5c4d-4fe1-b0f8-967eda6278a5_zpsqgqrn3b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
43e6e34e-6e87-4dfe-8a55-4c1f0444a2cc_zpswvhyyjga.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

~Jim

Thanks for the update, Dan; glad it went well. :thumbup::thumbup:
Do the docs think the Zulu Spear photos helped?? :confused::D

- GT

Man, they had their credit cards out placing orders for them by the time we were done looking at pictures! I think they bought them all up.

I love my Case/Bose, but it was just a bit large for EDC. Then I found a beautiful version that Rick Menefee had shrunk down to 3 3/8", and now it's a perfect pair : )
58b2c812-5c4d-4fe1-b0f8-967eda6278a5_zpsqgqrn3b2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
URL]

~Jim

EDC Perfection. :thumbup:

Jim, That little Menefee is nice! 3 3/8" is a great size for everyday.

Back