zulus and natives!

I am sitting in a custom maker's book right now and am struggling to decide whether to stick with my original plan for a Zulu spear or see if I can switch to a Native. I could really use some photo inspiration of these two gorgeous patterns to help sway me. Which shape do you prefer? I love the simple silhouette of a nice Zulu, but the tip on a Native is such a useful tool...

upload_2020-9-10_14-3-55-png.1416216

Here's my Booby Toole Zulu in crosscut micarta(Bobby's picture). I cannot think of a more desirable overall shape for a knife.

Depends on the maker, I’ve got a Reese Bose Zulu due sometime. I like the pattern.

Here's my Booby Toole Zulu in crosscut micarta(Bobby's picture). I cannot think of a more desirable overall shape for a knife.

Toole's interpretation of a Zulu looks more like a spearpoint than anything else.

Well heck. Bobby Toole is the maker whose book I am sitting in now!! It must be a sign! That's a gorgeous knife.

Well heck. Bobby Toole is the maker whose book I am sitting in now!! It must be a sign! That's a gorgeous knife.
Do you prefer Bobby's spear point style of Zulu over the drop point style? If so, I would say go for the Zulu. If not, I would say go Native.

Do you prefer Bobby's spear point style of Zulu over the drop point style? If so, I would say go for the Zulu. If not, I would say go Native.

I love a good spear. I was lucky enough to grab one of the Peña X-series slipjoint spearpoints this summer, which is why I was starting to think Bobby's spear-point Zulu might be redundant...

Isn't the Native Jared Oeser's pattern? Me likey. Grab one of those.

Thanks! I absolutely love it. So much so, I might get another with wood or bone. He made this thing so quickly! We were talking back and forth over a couple weeks about the design and materials. Once we finalize the design, it was ready in less than a week. I almost feel like he was working on it as we were chatting and working out the details. It's the first custom that I ordered and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Bobby builds a very fine knife. Very reasonably priced.

I paid a similar amount for my Esky Zulu around the same time. I actually ordered from Bobby because I had given up on ever finding an Esky ... then about a week after reaching out to Bobby, I was offered one by someone that I was buying something else off of.

.......the more I use my Native, the more I love it - both visually and practically.

Will post pics tomorrow.........time to break out the Armagnac and watch some tv for me

The Bobby is a spear point. I'm sure he can do a zulu. I've always thought I would get a Z if I ever commissioned a traditional.

Back