Zvox Soundbase 670

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi Folks, as a lot of people do after a while, they trim back, I've done that with knives to a great extent and recently with some bills due for my wife, I took a close look at all my home theater surround 'stuff' and decided to bundle it all up and sold it to a friend at work, it was fairly extensive stuff, RF7 series from Klipsch, Denon Receiver, Velodyne 1200 subwoofer and some Klipsch SB2 speakers for the rears. From that small windfall, I sold it at a price he couldn't refuse, in fact he mimic'd the "Jake from State Farm" commercial..."you'd do that for me? that sounds like a really good deal..." :) and so it was. Those RF7 mains weighed almost 100 pounds each, he came and helped me get them back into their boxes, the RC7 center channel was also a good bit of weight as well.

SO, moving forward, I now had a nice Bell'O stereo stand with three glass shelves, top one holding the modest 40" Samsung tv, pretty old by today's standards, but still works well. But the sound, it was ok, sure did miss my surround :( my wife didn't miss it though and so it really didn't get played that much anyways, add to the fact we have been working towards selling our house to move closer to our grandkids, which my wife watches every other week for my daughter, a 50 + mile drive each way so closer would be better and the houses we've seen had far smaller living rooms than ours now, so reduction seemed prudent.

I tried a couple of soundbars, but unless you were hanging the tv on the wall and the speaker below, it didn't work so well and also blocked the remote control receiver on the tv, so I took those back and while searching on amazon, dear old amazon ;) I stumbled across a company called Zvox, they made a thing called a Soundbase that the tv sat on top of, like a small deck. Seemed like a good idea, all that landscape inside would give them plenty of room to place all the necessary things to make a good speaker system.

This model I picked up is the Zvox 670 , it measures about 36" wide, 16 1/2" deep and 3 1/2" high.

It has Five 2" x 3" speakers across the front, behind a metal grill, which also hides the display, so you only see the display when it needs to show, pretty neat and tidy that way. There are also Three 5 1/4" woofers in the center bottom, down firing.

It has several ways to connect, but basically you just run the power cord to the wall, and a fiber optic cable to the TV and you're set.
All told it has two optical inputs, one coaxial, two RCA stereo inputs as well as the Bluetooth. On mine I also run an optical from my hard drive player to it and from my 5 disk dvd player I run the Coaxial cable for when I play cd's and don't need the tv on.

You can also teach it most of your TV's Remote functions, such as;

Power On/Off
Volumne Up/Down
Mute

So you don't need to have their remote at hand all the time, there are a few buttons on their remote that are handy such as source, surround sound setting, base/treble setting and they have a special setting to bring vocals to the forefront for those that find it hard to hear conversations in a movie with lots of background noise going on.

It's not cheap, but it's solid and to me, sounds great, it also has Bluetooth and I connected up with my ipod touch and played Pandora on there, sounded great too.

So for anyone that might be in the mood for a change, check out the Zvox, there was a larger one but it had a slightly larger wattage and I didn't figure I'd need to be playing it that loud anyways. While it doesn't give as wide or fully enveloped surround sound, it has some nice presence and good bass too.

G2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back