Zytel paint...

I wanted to know if anyone one knew of a way to either paint or coat the 14's zytel handles. I plan on ordering a set but don't really have any plans on using the Orange set, but would hate to just put them in a drawer. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Maybe RIT dye? I'm just guessing it might work. It would be pretty cool if it did.

They can be painted, but id expect them to scratch and chip easily.

Maybe RIT dye? I'm just guessing it might work. It would be pretty cool if it did.

I thought RIT die was for fabrics only?

They can be painted, but id expect them to scratch and chip easily.

I think Krylon Fusion is quite tough, I think someone painted their stock grivory scales OD green, I don't know how durable it was though.

If you don't want the orange zytel, I will take them off of your hands for you; after all, orange is my favorite color...

-orangish ducktape
167a.png

“Simplicate, and add lightness”
-Colin Chapman

I've heard of people using kyrlon and baking it on but might affect the scales. I was thinking of trying a real good sanding job, then using a heavy duty primer and then trying some krylon. Guess I wont know til I try, just figured all you savy beckerheads would have some methods off hand.

RIT works on a lot of plastics. I don't want to dye my orange ones, but if someone has a spare set, I'd buy them and give it a shot / do a tutorial on it. I've used RIT on a lot of plastics for R/C vehicles and it works well.

RIT dye for sure works on things that aren't fabrics. I know some guys that use it to make custom colored keyboards of all things. The secret is to get the dye warm, but not quite enough to melt or disfigure/distort the plastic that you're working with. Also, repeated soakings work much better for most plastics.

:D.

DuraCoat. If it's durable enough for a Glock, then it would work fine on a plastic knife handle.

Expensive start-up (it's a two-part epoxy coating -- needs to be mixed and airbrushed within a few hours -- not available in a spray can).

Krylon Fusion is the cheaper, if less durable, alternative.

The best way to paint "plastic" is to use a mechinal abrasion then to prime it with a clear plastic primer for bumpers. You will have to use some kind of spray gun to properly apply the product. You can find this info at a repatuble body supply store.

I want the orange set and will trade you for the black ones if you want.
When I get them.
PM me.

Thanks for the offer trailbum, but I don't want you to have to wait on me. I'm not sure when ill be picking these up, got a tweener/machax next I hope......

I wanted to know if anyone one knew of a way to either paint or coat the 14's zytel handles. I plan on ordering a set but don't really have any plans on using the Orange set, but would hate to just put them in a drawer. Sorry if this has been asked before.
I painted a set of scales white with the Krylon for plastic. It looked great. I let them cure for a couple of weeks and tried to scratch the paint with my fingernail, and it did chip off. So much for that experiment. I figure if I can do that with a fingernail, it won't stand up to hard use.

What I did is put the black on the presentation side, and the orange on the opposite side which worked out perfect in the woods. It gave it just enough contrast that I can almost always find it no worries.

wipe the plastic down with acetone and the paint will stick better.
lightly sanding it with 120, 150, or 220 grit paper helps, too -- because it makes scratches for the paint to stick to.

I painted mine with Krylon Fusion camo olive some time ago, it came out well at first but ended up chipping easily. I do like the worn look, though.
0yA7TU6.jpg

Back