Zytel sharpening?

I bought one of those zytel "cia" knives off ebay and was wondering what could I do to sharpen it? Im completely new to knives....well...ive carried one for a few years now but as far as know the different brands and materials, im totally new. Its soley for protection, and thank God I havent had to use it.

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds like something I can pick up from Sears, will do. Is it normal to sharpen the serrated area of the blade as well?

The only zytel knives I played with didn't have them (years ago).

If you wish to sharpen the serrations, the "sand paper around an appropriate sized dowel" trick would do.

As an aside, note that most knife laws do not specifically state that a knife shall be made of metal.

I bought a couple for the nifty/cool factor and used them for opening mail and such. (and where are they now ... good question)

Yeah, they have been sold on and off since at least the early 80s.

Various shapes are utilized. The triagle spike shaped ones work well for tent spikes when long enough. The double edged dagger shaped ones work well for letter openers.

And, as with any pointy object, in an emergency they will suffice to up the level of force in a physical encounter. But, then too, so will pens, pencils, coin rolls or purses, etc.

The point is definately good puncture wish. BUt im worried about the slashing capabilities(came dull). I'll try sharpening it and we'll see.

Well, worse come to worse, Its not to my liking and I'll have to get another :rolleyes: lol. Its a learning process so I wouldnt be disappointed either way. With that said, you would still recommend using the sand paper made for sharpening metal?

That's what I just have around - various grits of crocus cloth - i.e. wet/dry sand paper, etc. - pick a name. The stuff comes in handy, so I keep a few rolls and sheets in residence.

I believe the stuff for wood (paper backed vs cloth backed) would work as well, but you'd go through more.

Also note that there is man made vitrious fiber in zytel,so keeping dust down may be wise.

You can use a flat mill bastard file. That will get it about as sharp as possible.
Bill

90196.jpg

Interesting

orthogonal1 said:
That's what I just have around - various grits of crocus cloth - i.e. wet/dry sand paper, etc. - pick a name.

wet/dry paper is the way to go, "crocus cloth" is much less agessive a cut for a given grit # and usually is *not* water resistant...I made a real mess with some when I tried to use it wet...

Back