“98.6” Blasphemy

Thomas Linton said:
You "reckon" wrong. Black powder, conventional propellant, and a "hot sauce" bottle of "Coleman Fuel" are all part of my display of "fire-starting" materials.

Thomas,

What is the benefit of black powder and Coleman fuel over a treated cotton ball and some fatwood? When would you use them over the cotton or fatwood?

Thanks!

Craig_PHX said:
Thomas,

What is the benefit of black powder and Coleman fuel over a treated cotton ball and some fatwood? When would you use them over the cotton or fatwood?

Thanks!

Craig, they have no benefit that I know of over cotton balls. I have little experience with fatwood.

I would use them if nothing better was available. (Hunters have died for lack of fire with pockets full of shotgun shells and wood all around them.)

I asked a similar question on a "Mora" thread, but it occurs to me to re-ask here, in the "98.6 pro & con" context. What is everybody's experience with neck carry of knives? I figure that the wilderness contexts we're talking about would be more likely than most to see the user dangling at odd angles, falling out of trees, getting hit in the face with a vehicle airbag, floating downstream past snags, etc., etc., etc. I've just read what must be at least the third reference I've seen in two weeks to an on-a-cord-around-one's-neck carry. I'd be just a little nervous about suspending a blade that sharp that close to center-chest--on a rig that allows a foot or more of flopping around in most directions--which relies on friction alone to hold the knife in place--and which has potential to turn the wearer into a cyanotic yo-yo if the cord gets caught on some kind of snag. I see Lundin using this carry in 98.6, but I'm curious: what mishaps, if any, have people experienced or witnessed or heard about using this kind of carry? For Moras or other neck knives, for that matter? Any non-obvious advantages of neck carry, by the way?

I have used neck knives, had one come out of the sheath just walking around. The best sheaths to use for this which ride inverted are kydex with a split opening that you have to push the blade a little sideways in order to draw it. This prevents them from coming out without requiring so much hold vertically that it is near impossible to draw them. It allows carry of the knife without a belt and is easy concealed by popping it inside your shirt. It is also less likely to snag in most cases than something at your waist.

-Cliff

I have found a neck carry of small (typically puukkoish style for me) knives very convenient in late fall and winter when its not quite cold enough to require gloves. They stay under at least the outside layer and have warm(er) handles when deployed. The clothing keeps them flat against my torso.

I have never carried one inverted -- or built a "permanent" structure with a flat roof -- due to belief in the Great God Murphy.

Back