— How Does One Ruin the Temper on a Knife?

I realize that the handles dry out, glue lets go, corrosions of all sorts kick in; it is dangerous to have sharp objects sticking out in the dishwasher, knives may bang up against other knives or objects and therefor cause nicks and dull the edges on the blades. In addition, the detergent MAY have some qualities that may dull the edge, BUT given that the knives that I'm tossin' in the dishwasher are cheap ol' knives with plastic handles which I sharpen quite often, I can't see how it is bad to put them in the dishwasher when I'm feeling lazy.

However, if the temper indeed is being affected, then I'm probably not going to put any newer knives in there.

Thank you for all the help.

Since many steels temper at between 300 and 400 degrees F. I would stay below 200.00.

Anytime you heat anything it changes to some extent, so heating my blades would be something I would do with any regularity. ;).

As far as dishwashers and knives. Just say no. :D If ya can, without spending time in the doghouse and if ya can not, do not buy expensive kitchen knives.

Since many steels temper at between 300 and 400 degrees F. I would stay below 200.00.

Anytime you heat anything it changes to some extent, so heating my blades would not be something I would do with any regularity. ;).

As far as dishwashers and knives. Just say no. :D If ya can, without spending time in the doghouse and if ya can not, do not buy expensive kitchen knives.

Super necro!

LFDVDtp.png

If you want to ruin a good temper, let me introduce you to my ex-wife.

maybe, lots of this might ruin a temper. Not saying that the knife in the pic was ruined, but that not being careful about keeping the edge cool could easily ruin a blade.

M4MBTVf.jpg

Back