¡Oralé!

jazub

Gold Member
I was walking around in Oaxaca City today, killing time, got some lunch, met up with some acquaintances, and after a couple of hours headed back to where I'm staying. About 5 minutes from "home", I did the reflexive knife check to my right pocket and my Benchmade 940 was not there. Not cool. I turned directly around and retraced my steps for about an hour, across the city center, to a hotel lobby, by a couple of old churches, and finally to the little two table corner market where I had sat down for a torta and a Coke. The place was kind of full and there was a young girl sitting at the table where I had been. Just beside her foot, against the wall, was my 940. BOOYA!! I asked her to pardon my reach and scooped up my last few weeks pocket companion (the only one-handed folder I brought down here). ¡Oralé!

16247578533_8a4fb82591_c.jpg

Anybody else have a happy lost and found lately?

Nice! I'm glad things worked out for you! No luck here, bad or otherwise.
Just wanted to express my appreciation for luck, regardless of who's it was.

Thanks man! It felt pretty bad to lose the knife so far away from any backups and after it has had some memories put on it. Every once in a while, lady luck pops up :cool::thumbup:

Awesome story and pic!

About a week ago I was using my Umnumzaan to cut some Rosin paper at work. I walked away and went on top of the roof to help with some HVAC work when I realized my Umnumzaan wasn't in my pocket.

I dived down the scuttle hole and was running down stairs to where my Umnum last was, hoping it didn't grow legs. Sure enough, it was gone:eek:

Literally, the second I noticed it was gone, my framing guy called my name out and said "I got your knife, didn't want to leave it lying around!"

I'll tell ya, when he handed me my Umnum back, it felt like being reunited with an old friend...
Never in my life have I felt that way about an inanimate object before:D

Haha. Nice recovery, BB :thumbup: Almost lost an Umnum??? :eek: Talk about lows and highs. I know what you mean; I felt like I appreciated my folder way more the second I picked it up off the ground. I was a smilin' fool walking back to my room :D

Yea, I was freaking out!
My heart had this deep, sinking feeling once I noticed it was gone. Like I was cheated on, since my zaan was with another man:D

It was funny because my coworker didn't have a clue about the value attached to the knife, he was just watching out for me. He actually carries a Kershaw Cryo, but dosent know it lol. What I mean by that, is when I saw him using it, I said something like "cool! Is that a cryo?" And he had no clue what I was talking about:eek:
He's a rough/tough construction guy, so he dosent care about small details of a knife:p

You got lucky in your situation, since you left it in a public place. That would have been a good way to spark up a conversation with that young girl! "Excuse me miss, I left my knife here, can I buy you a coffee?":D:p

Or more likely to work would have been to say something along the lines of, hey, it's great to meet someone who was willing to babysit my property until I could get back from an errand, by the way, your in my seat.
The last part would have to be said with a smile so as to be taken funny with some edge, otherwise you come across as a jerk. Lol
Blues, he didn't make any passes at your "friend" did he?
Good luck and have fun!

Cool story, and congrats on finding your knife. Very lucky!

I lost a Spyderco PM2 recently and have no idea where it is. I don't carry or use that knife so hopefully it's put away
somewhere safe so I will find it at a later date. I thought that perhaps I had sold it and forgotten about it, but I still
have the box and stuff in the drawer. Maybe one day it will pop up.

My wife and I went to the beach in Galveston a while back with a friend of ours. We were drinking a lot of beers (not twist offs) while we were out there. We didn't have a bottle opener. No problem, I had my beloved Sere 2K. I popped the tops off like this:

Everything went great. We had a good time, even went and got more beer. We went to the art car parade, then chilled out on the beach and ended the day with badass burgers at "the spot" right on the seawall.
We went and dropped our friend off and went home. The next day my Sere was not in my pocket. I started to freak. I insisted that we go back to Galveston and look for it, and we did, no luck, and a 2 hour drive (1 way) wasted. We looked on the beach, along the seawall, at the spot, in parking lots, everywhere we had been. We even went to our friend's house and searched all around her driveway where we parked. I was disgusted, and wrote it off as a loss.
About 6 months later we were looking for something else in the car. I found it between the drivers seat and the door, waaay far down in there. It was like finding a long lost friend! I slipped her back in my pocket and vowed to be more careful. Here's she is in all her glory!:

If I lost my Tuff Lite I would cry. Maybe that is just me, though. I feel like I develop an emotional bond with my knives, but that could just be the alcohol talking.

Great news for you Jazub! I'm still in mourning for the loss of my 20 + year old Sebe classic. I bought it used in 1997 off flea bay when it was still ebay and reputable and it has rarely not been with me since. It was in my pocket on 9/11 when I had to drive back from Colorado to Jerzee because I was stuck in a Nestles sales meeting. Back then it was ok to fly with a knife in your pocket. It was perfectly pocket worn and I had never had a thing done to it. Hard use, no maintenance except some primitive sharpening by me and not an iota of blade play to its dying day! I would tell anyone interested about it and those in the know often suggested I send her in for a well deserved spa treatment from CRK but I just never felt the need.to clean it, I'd run it through the wash cycle with my jeans. Even the original little lanyard was still intact,a bit dogeared but there.Heresy ,I know, but it was usually by accident than intent.Yes, it's an inanimate object and just a tool but it was and is a part of my life and irreplaceable. I've retraced my tracks of the day it went MIA,asked at every place I had visited but knew that even if someone found it the odds of getting it back were slim to none.
I am as heartbroken about as can be and thought about searching for another but decided to leave that to fate. If a well used,old classic appears somewhere maybe I'll reach for it but for now, it's a easily replaceable,nondescript SAK for me.
It was great to read the stories of lost and found and I wish I had one like it to share.

I know I have lost my CRK somewhere in my bedroom so I have replaced it with a zero-tolerance 566 becoming my primary EDC. Don't get me wrong I love my ZT
As it is so comfortable with carry I forget I have it sometimes. Don't know what I'm going to do if I ever find my CRK. Guess I'll have to carry them both. I also carry my hen and rooster folder for a backup. Too many knives not enough pockets haha. hope I never lose my pants.

AntDog, man the suspense of that was killing me. What a letdown -and then a major score! This might sound crazy but Al Mar has just never been on my radar. Looking at the awesome wear and love on yours just pushed that exact knife (coated) way up on my list. I take it you recommend it?

Nozyk, that is just depressing. I can't imagine actually putting that much love and time on a folder and then having it go MIA. I hope the stars align and she turns up for you sooner than later. It might sound crazy but after a certain amount of history has been put on a knife (or similar item) I start considering retiring it for fear of losing it. It is way cooler that you kept her going for so long.

Leftytwogunz and Robertrice, it sounds like there is hope for you guys so maybe there's any early Christmas any day. You know it's gonna be in the freezer or part of you pet bird's nest or someplace like that you'd never think to look... :confused:

dkb45, maybe I'm too sentimental but I think it is just easy to remember experiences and associate them with something like a pocket knife you had on you at the time. So, booze or not, there are probably plenty of us here who would admit an "attachment" to our knives. :eek:

I lost my Kershaw leek composite on day while I was cutting grass and i looked over the whole yard and could not find it. After a hour or so i gave up on it and called it a lost. About 3 months later I was cleaning the back yard picking up the dog toys and packing them away because I bought a house and was moving out of my rental I noticed a rusted piece of metal half buried I the grass. Low and behold it was my leek rusted and nearly able to move on the pivot. I cleaned it up and removed most of the rust but the blade looked serrated with all the rust. I sent it to Kershaw and they cleaned it and gave me a new blade. It works great and it was the first "pricy" knife I ever owned and am glad I still have it in my knife rotation

Once on a hunt with my Dad in Colorado he lost his knife. We back tracked for miles. We finally found it blade up in a small bush.

AntDog, man the suspense of that was killing me. What a letdown -and then a major score! This might sound crazy but Al Mar has just never been on my radar. Looking at the awesome wear and love on yours just pushed that exact knife (coated) way up on my list. I take it you recommend it?
I'm glad you liked my tale of loss, heartache, and eventual redemption! Man, I just didn't feel right the whole time it was missing. As weird as it sounds, I just didn't feel like "me". I just felt incomplete. When I reached down in that car and felt the handle I just about flipped!
Yes, I very highly recommend the Sere 2K! I have tried out literally hundreds of knives in the same size range, and none of them could ever kick the Sere out of my pocket. The fist time I held it and used it, something just "clicked". I just knew it was right for me. With that well worn black blade and the chips and dings in the G10 and liners it just looks better and better to me.
If you're considering one at all, you would not be disappointed. They are made with precision. Close to custom quality. Just think how much you'll like it in a decade or so!

If I lost my Tuff Lite I would cry. Maybe that is just me, though. I feel like I develop an emotional bond with my knives, but that could just be the alcohol talking.
I gave my lady friend a tuff lite and she lost it! It still bothers me when I think about it.

Back