“Extras”

Are the zipper cases, etc worth it or a waste?

• Worth it

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Worth it on high dollar knives

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Never worth it.

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters

DMG

Gold Member
I just was looking at the box my Hogue Deka came in and wondering what to do with the zipper case thing it came with. Do I throw it in my knife drawer? Garbage? It is useless. Spyderco and other makers include stuff like that too.

It is of zero value to me yet it increases the cost of the purchase. Why not just wrap it in paper and put it in a box?

If you think the MSRP would actually be lower if they didn't include it, you've got another thing coming.
I agree - they're basically low cost extras thrown in to give a feeling of "added value". Sure, the knife costs $XYZ; but it includes this awesome zipper case.

I have a small box of them. I also have a couple of knives that live in the ones they came with (one is a "custom" with mammoth ivory scales)

I assume they buy that sort of stuff in bulk, and as a result it probably costs cents rather than dollars.

The strangest item of knife swag I've ever seen is the lip balm that comes with G&G Hawk knives.

I've received a lot of stickers over the years, from knife companies, companies that sell knife making stuff, and motorcycle parts distributors, But they all end up in the trash.

Every Kydex sheath from David comes with a caramel. I like that :)

Regarding pouches, boxes, etc., they are quite useless for me, just take up space; so I trash most of them. Then again, youtube knife reviews usually care for packaging. Go figure.

I assume they buy that sort of stuff in bulk, and as a result it probably costs cents rather than dollars.

The strangest item of knife swag I've ever seen is the lip balm that comes with G&G Hawk knives.

I've received a lot of stickers over the years, from knife companies, companies that sell knife making stuff, and motorcycle parts distributors, But they all end up in the trash.
They understand that knife lovers often lick their lips in lustful longing for the perfect knife . :p

For eye glasses , cameras , binoculars etc= yes ! Useful protection and a way to carry associated stuff .

For a carry knife = no ! Just makes it harder to carry and access .

For storage , a decent cardboard box is adequate in most cases .

But , I do dislike clamshell packaging . Hard to open and not very usable for storage or resale .

WE has a plan for that: do away with the “taco” knife pouches and charge the same price as before for the product.

WE has a plan for that: do away with the “taco” knife pouches and charge the same price as before for the product.
The Law of Product Thermodynamics states that :
1) Everything gets more costly .
2) Quality and Service gets worse .
3) Consequently , everything tends to cost more for less value . :mad:

The pouches are not useless at all. They are perfect.

I am not fond of big boxes though. I told them to keep the large fancy wooden box that my last fillet knife was supposed to come with. They obliged. That was very nice of them.

The pouches on the other hand are compact and will protect the knife from dust, impact, scratches, and other stuff when storing it. It's about time they provided practical storage cases. I do not want to see them go. You can throw a silica pack in them to keep stuff dry after you zipper it closed. The pouches cost practically nothing to make so keep them coming.

Not everyone has a luxurious climate controlled safe to put things in and I don't want a bunch of paper and cardboard lying around.

I don't carry glasses in anything soft. It's always hard impact resistant cases. I learned that quickly working at the beach where sunglasses were required if you didn't want your eyes to feel pain.

Last edited:
I use them when I get them. I have an Ochs Worx and a Deka that both came with a zipper pouch. The Ochs Worx never gets used and hardly ever even gets taken out; the Deka is part of the ‘regular rotation’, whatever that is for somebody who leaves the house maybe once a week, so it stays safe from unnecessary bumps and bruises when not in use. I have a couple more that live in their drawstring pouches when they’re not in my pocket as well. Maybe it’s just my OCD, but I think they’re a nice little touch.

I am sorry to say with me it you like boxes and papers you will have to get over it. A nice little compact padded case that I don't mind keeping around will likely go a long way towards insuring the knife wont have scratches or be loaded with crusty dust bunnies. You can always wash the case if the outside has crusty dust bunnies. Try that with cardboard.

If you think the MSRP would actually be lower if they didn't include it, you've got another thing coming.

Sure it would, by about .50 cents maybe $1.50 if your lucky wow such big savings.

Finding a pouch the right size to buy on the secondary market would likely cost much more but the real cost would be the PITA of locating a perfect size for every knife you have. Don't make things harder for us knife guys now.

I have my own storage plan for knives I use and collect and it doesn’t include a little zippered pouch. I’ve thrown away dozens.

I’ll tell you what, knife makers, keep your silly little pouch and give me a ziploc baggie of knife hardware. That pouch literally cost you pennies, give me useful hardware instead.

Back