“Simple” but exquisite knives

I’m interested in learning about makers who put a great deal of thought into their designs and work — but not ornamentation.

I put “simple” in quotes because there’s nothing simple about Tim Wright’s knives, for instance. But they’re not art pieces. They’re for using. I’d say the same of Scott Sawby’s knives. Those are both on the astronomically high end of the market, but I don’t think knives of this type have to be. I think of Hiro Ohta’s unadorned friction folders: thoughtfully made, but not filigreed in any way.

Who else might fit this category? Who would you say make the *finest* knives without tipping into the art market?

Curious to hear. Thanks!

Last edited:
The ones that come to mind for me would be CRK, Quiet Carry, and Tactile. All exceptionally thought out, well made designs. They may be sleek and attractive but little to no ornamentation on most models, and are all pretty simple.

If you like Hiroaki Otah's knives, you might like what Yoshimi Kotoh does :
1V0qlG7.jpg

The Les George VECP knives fit this description. I don’t own any but I might buy one someday. Very simple looking but classy knives.
When I started collecting I liked flashy stuff, now some of the more simple designs appeal to me.

Stoil Manchev Stoil Manchev might be someone you may be interested in, I have this neck knife and it's one of the sharpest knives I've owned with an incredibly thin edge as well, nothing extra but nicely executed in design, fit and finish.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
And I think he is willing to work with you on a design as well

you can view his work on BladeForums through the link to his account here and on Instagram you can view via this link

Another photo of mine

G2

Last edited:
Filip de Coene.

Iron Age knives are similar. They were for use, and if it wasn't necessary, they didn't have it.

Shilin cutters.

Svord Peasant.

Applegate-Harsey dagger.

Also, this thing:

KUxXQFJ.jpg

I bookmarked the image, but I don't remember much about it. I think it's Chinese, from one of the dynasties?

Oh, yeah. Justin Lundquist has a couple of good ones, too.

ZxmAUq3.jpg

Last edited:
For meCRK wits quite exactly into this category
Especially the plain Jane sebenza models

And I think he is willing to work with you on a design as well

you can view his work on BladeForums through the link to his account here and on Instagram you can view via this link

Another photo of mine

G2
Another vote for Stoil Manchev. He does amazing work. This necker is on my neck everyday :
3VfS9HY.jpg

Back