⌖ Herbertz Folder - but only one knob ⌖

Hey all,

New to this fascination. Bought this folder which looked good on paper,
Herbertz 251314 (440 blade, ~4 1/2")]
It came pretty sharp, for what it is; opens easily right-handed, but not left-handed
as it only has one knob. I've quickly gotten used to it, but I'd like for it to be usable
with either hand. So it would be great to replace the knob it came with with one
that has a knob on either side of the blade.

I've looked around a little, but I don't really know if this is a part I can even find
already made. The installed one is in ghere very tight, but it appears to be threaded in.

Another issuue is that when opening the blade 'vigorously', like partial + flip,
the frame lock tends to go too far and get stuck on the far side of the blade, (picture)
Maybe some judicious filing could correct this? Open to suggestions on both issues,

Thanks

Well, shoot! Looked like maybe a slant on the back of the blade and opposite on the lock...but that's removing material...would just improve the 'tendencies', I can see it's not a fix, right

Something like a Kwik Thumb Stud might be an option for making it more lefty friendly.

But I agree with rycen, there's no fix for that lock.

If you decide to return this one for a refund and want to replace it with something in the same price range, tell us what drew you to it and I bet we can give you some recommendations in/near your budget. :)

Wow, cool. It was bzos store, so it's returnable.
I started by buying an ExtremeOps S&W as I constantly have quick tasks for a knife,
got tired of sharpening utility blades and then just having a box cutter.

I enjoyed the functions, but it's too small for my hands, and no amount of tuning
really improved the action: it got easier and looser, but not better.

This one resulted from looking first at $20 and less folders, then $30 and less folders.
The wood scales are decent, and offer a better grip, have a 'warm' feel, but they are
not that wonderful if you start looking very closely, but my hands don't see that.
I'd read, here, that 440C was the wunder-blade material for about a minute; I think
its initial popularity lasted longer than it holds an edge, but it is easy to sharpen.
I've mainly tuned it on a 3000grit diamond on steel plate, by hand.

Then there's the size! I feel like a 1930's middle-European assasin opening this blade.
But, it's easy to hold, opens easily, and fits in my pocket. If I p*** off a small bear,
probably don't have a chance....

I'm not sure what you would call this knife's point, and I thought it looked weird,
at first. It does work well, though not sure of its design-function.

There are some excellent ~$30 folder recommendations in this thread. :)

This one resulted from looking first at $20 and less folders, then $30 and less folders.
The wood scales are decent, and offer a better grip, have a 'warm' feel, but they are
not that wonderful if you start looking very closely, but my hands don't see that.
I'd read, here, that 440C was the wunder-blade material for about a minute; I think
its initial popularity lasted longer than it holds an edge, but it is easy to sharpen.
I've mainly tuned it on a 3000grit diamond on steel plate, by hand.
Made in China, 440A steel, not 440C. You get what you pay for............

No offense, but that looks like a piece of crap. I'll second what molokai said, get the Ontario and be done. Or spend a little more and get something that is better quality.

Not offended at all, I didn't make it, and I'm learning.
i'll look at Rat 1 - is Ontario the maker?

I assumed it was a German knife.
I think it's pretty low to mask a low $ item's origin.
I know by looking that these Herbertz sell, in Spain, for < €15

Not offended at all, I didn't make it, and I'm learning.
i'll look at Rat 1 - is Ontario the maker?

I assumed it was a German knife.
I think it's pretty low to mask a low $ item's origin.
I know by looking that these Herbertz sell, in Spain, for < €15
Yes, Ontario Knife Co. Rat 1 has the 3.5" blade, the Rat 2 has a 3". You can get them in D2 steel as well for a small upcharge.

I see the D2 is available, and in 1 test it cut 120 times through sisal vs 52 for AUS 8. Edge retention is good, rust is bad.

On another note, this pos Herbertz has a 4.5" edge, is a drop point, and has wooden scales. I don't see any that compete for the size (I not quite freakishly large hands), nor that have wooden side pieces, bolsters, grips! OTO, though it's billed as rosewood, a. it's not dalbergia b. they couldn afford it c. Taiwan is the real place to go....

If you want a great budget knife with a wooden handle and a large blade, consider an Opinel. It's a simple, effective design, available in stainless or carbon, and has stood the test of time.

For example, the Opinel #12 in Sandvik 12C27 stainless has a ~4.75" blade and lists at $25.

I see the D2 is available, and in 1 test it cut 120 times through sisal vs 52 for AUS 8. Edge retention is good, rust is bad.

On another note, this pos Herbertz has a 4.5" edge, is a drop point, and has wooden scales. I don't see any that compete for the size (I not quite freakishly large hands), nor that have wooden side pieces, bolsters, grips! OTO, though it's billed as rosewood, a. it's not dalbergia b. they couldn afford it c. Taiwan is the real place to go....
I have yet to have any substantial rust on any D2 blade I have owned. Just a little bit of surface rust if it's left in damp conditions.

I will likely end up owning both a Rat I and an Opinel. You see the Opinel name frequently and people like them.
I watched a vid comparing folders under $50, & 2 that were just over, and still are -- it was released in 2019!
Interestingly, they were all G2 scales. But some attractive gear - Bestest Kendo was this comparison's top
rated folder. I've seen feature and quality creep betore -- I'm a nut for some 🛠 tools.

Thanks for the opinions. If you went a step up in edge retention
and possibly more stainless even, where do you land?

Back