01 or 52100 steel and blade grind preference?

I prefer A2 but I just recently bought a mini trapper in 52100, its very sharp and easily resharpened. Lately Ive been kinda partial to scandi or traditional grinds

52100 is by far my preference. I have never been able to get 01 as sharp as 52100 and I think 52100 holds an edge better. 52100 is my favorite knife steel!!!!

Martin

^^ I agree with Martin about the preference for 52100 over O1 for edge holding and sharpening ease. I like Adam's Scandi-vex and his standard flat grind. I have no experience with Adam's convex grind so far.

Phil

Thanks for those of you who replied. I have mostly been a flat grind/v edge kind of guy, however both of the knives that I recently purchased from Adam were convex and they were incredible. I have one in 01 and the other in 52100. While I have experience using both steels, I do believe the 52100 takes the lead by just a tad.

I would say 52100 although I have been very impressed with A2 as well. But 52100 is tough as hell! As to blade grind I like full flat with a regular V edge the best. Easiest to sharpen... for me anyway.

Last edited:
Back