• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

1-1/2'' square W2 for sale

I have 11'' long x 1-1/2'' sq (actually 1-7/16''x 1-9/16'') W2 bars for sale. The bars weigh 6.5 lbs. This is one of my favorite steels and will produce a super hamon, also a great performer. I have over 1500 pounds, so I figure I can sell a little. :) Later this fall I may forge some down to 1/4''x1-1/2'' and offer it here but for now this is the size I have to sell. Only 13 bars of this size left, the next size I offer will be larger.

C = 0.90% to 1.10%

Cr = 0.15% max

Mn = 0.10% to 0.40%

Si = 0.10% to 0.40%

V = 0.25%

$20 each, shipping included. (SOLD OUT OF THIS SIZE) I'll start another thread soon with a different size.

Minimum 3. I have to ship 3 or more at a time or the shipping will not work for me. Ya'll let me know if you want any.

My payPal address is: sunfish@wildblue.net

phone# 573-674-3045

Thanks

Just wanted to add. I forged some of this W2 out a while back to 1/4''x 1-1/2'' and got 5'. So a lot of knife material in one bar.

Also, I will ship one bar for $25.

Don,

This sounds great. Some questions:

Is it all from the same batch? If so, what are the chances of having it analyzed? To me, there is a big difference between 0.90 and 1.10 carbon.

Will you include your HT instructions, (since you have obviously figured this batch out)?

Last, does that price hold for shipping to an APO AP address?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,
Yes this W2 is all from the same batch. I have not had it analyzed. My educated guess is that the carbon is 1% or just a bit over and the manganese is around .25 based on color of steel when etched and hamon activity. I am also very pleased with the performance of the steel. If some one could provide an address and apox price for annalist, I may have it done.

My heat treat for W2 - After forging I normalize three times then grind to 120 grit, leaving edge around .040 thick, normalize once more, heat to 1425, hold for 5 to 10 min.s then full or edge quench in room temp Parks #50 oil, temper 1 hour twice at 400F, finish grind, test edge and adjust temper temp, usually one more temper at 425F and sometimes 450F depending on size of blade and intended use.

Not sure what a APO AP address is ? You'll have to explain and I'll have to check price.

Thanks

P.S. Your heat treating results my vary ;) I am constantly learning and changing my ways.

APO or FPO are military addresses for overseas . The price for those addresses are the same as if you are mailing in the states.

S/F<
CEYA!

Don, Once my shop is rebuilt and the press is rebuilt and if you still have some of this W-2 around then I'd sure like to get a couple bars. The lumber package and truses are here but no permit. Once the shop gets started I'll see if I can get the press going to.

Ray, this size is about gone but I still have a bunch of W2. Just let me know when you want some. Hope the new shop goes up smooth :)

Thanks guys, this size is sold out. I'll start another thread soon with a differet size. Gotta get more boxes first :) You can contact me to see what I have and price if you like.

Back