#1 Grail Obtained, CRK Collection & Community

JONVHERBERT

Gold Member
Basic Member
Not to get too deep but last week, my sister was found unresponsive from a battle she’s been fighting for a few years now, one day before my mother had a surgery scheduled where I had agreed to take care of her during her recovery period. As some of you may know, I’ve been hunting for an original pivot startac Umnumzaan for quite some time. On top of work, it was and continues to be a very difficult time but what would you know…something great happened smack dab in the middle of it all. A fellow CRK enthusiast and original owner of said grail said he was ready to work out a deal. My desired grail was his very first CRK purchase, which he was obviously sentimental towards. Still, he was kind enough to allow me the opportunity to be the second owner. His desire was to still maintain an Umnumzaan in his collection and asked for a drop point in Magnacut - one I didn’t own & couldn’t offer him. The point of this post is that even while it felt like the sky was crashing down, the knife community was there, and helped bring some positivity into a really hard time. It’s not so much the acquisition of the knife - but the support and camaraderie of the community that really made a difference. It was a team effort amongst some close friends to make it all come together. Some of the best people I know and closest friends I have originated from a knife post, trade, sale, or just a simple discussion. This community really is something else and I am beyond grateful for each of you who contribute positively towards it. Some of the most generous and kind acts I’ve witnessed have been within the knife community.

With that being said; here are a few photos of the knife. It is a 2011 (4/20/2011) Chris Reeve Umnumzaan “Original Pivot” Startac with complete & original documents, box, cloth, metal & plastic tools, packing peanuts, sticker - everything. It’s absolutely seen some use but I would have to say I I think it’s in incredible condition. I initially planned on sending it in for a spa but after receiving it, I’ve come to appreciate & respect the slight signs of use. With this, I have finally completed the Wilson Combat line-up, with the exception of the one that is engraved with just the words “Wilson Combat”, which I’ve never seen being offered. I personally love to customize my knives with clips, backspacers, etc - but each one has all of the original goodies and offers a little difference than the others. I must admit though I am pretty dang monochromatic.

I hope you enjoy the photos & hope that everyone is able to find their grails, but most importantly, that everyone is able to give & receive something positive to this incredible community. Thank you all, especially those who’ve played a part in my Wilson Combat CRK journey. Maybe someday I’ll find the remaining piece but for now, I couldn’t be happier or more grateful.

Attachments

• IMG_4813.jpeg
    IMG_4813.jpeg
    911.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4814.jpeg
    IMG_4814.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    884.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4843.jpeg
    IMG_4843.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4846.jpeg
    IMG_4846.jpeg
    473.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4841.jpeg
    IMG_4841.jpeg
    783.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4832.jpeg
    IMG_4832.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4831.jpeg
    IMG_4831.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 9
This community is something special. Lots of passerbys and people who view this place as nothing more than somewhere to make a buck or to get entertainment from but it's something more. I've come to appreciate it. Congrats on the knife and as someone going through tough family times, hang in there.

Not to get too deep but last week, my sister was found unresponsive from a battle she’s been fighting for a few years now, one day before my mother had a surgery scheduled where I had agreed to take care of her during her recovery period. As some of you may know, I’ve been hunting for an original pivot startac Umnumzaan for quite some time. On top of work, it was and continues to be a very difficult time but what would you know…something great happened smack dab in the middle of it all. A fellow CRK enthusiast and original owner of said grail said he was ready to work out a deal. My desired grail was his very first CRK purchase, which he was obviously sentimental towards. Still, he was kind enough to allow me the opportunity to be the second owner. His desire was to still maintain an Umnumzaan in his collection and asked for a drop point in Magnacut - one I didn’t own & couldn’t offer him. The point of this post is that even while it felt like the sky was crashing down, the knife community was there, and helped bring some positivity into a really hard time. It’s not so much the acquisition of the knife - but the support and camaraderie of the community that really made a difference. It was a team effort amongst some close friends to make it all come together. Some of the best people I know and closest friends I have originated from a knife post, trade, sale, or just a simple discussion. This community really is something else and I am beyond grateful for each of you who contribute positively towards it. Some of the most generous and kind acts I’ve witnessed have been within the knife community.

Beautiful post and I couldn't agree more. Life is difficult sometimes and always subject to change, having a community full of friends can go a long way toward keeping you level (even when you least expect it). I'm well pleased for your grail score and the sprinkle of positivity that came with it, sounds like kismet to me!

A lot of people here (especially in W&C) were there for me when I was going through serious medical and psychological issues. Great community. I've been fortunate to meet some members in person. Though I will say, in person they are even worse enablers than on the forum!

I dunno man. Sounds like your sister died, your mother's in bad shape, but you're focusing on a grail knife. :confused:

My condolences for you loss.

I dunno man. Sounds like your sister died, your mother's in bad shape, but you're focusing on a grail knife. :confused:
Maybe that's what helps him get through the day? Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but it does to me.

We all have to do what gets us through the day. Right now my wife and I are grieving the loss of a beloved dog that had been with us the past ten years. This site helps me focus on other things for a while. There is no particularly right or wrong way...just ways.

Since this discussion is more about community matters than knives per se, moving it to community, while leaving a link to the discussion in GKD.

Forgot to say, sorry for your loss and sorry you're still going through hard times.

Now that I think of it more, I guess I understand. "Man, life sucks right now, but at least there is this little glimmer of happiness in the form of a knife."

I'm at the beginning of hard times with my own mom. She's got pretty bad dementia for her age (72), living with my bipolar brother and we're looking into different options for her now.

Forgot to say, sorry for your loss and sorry you're still going through hard times.

Now that I think of it more, I guess I understand. "Man, life sucks right now, but at least there is this little glimmer of happiness in the form of a knife."

I'm at the beginning of hard times with my own mom. She's got pretty bad dementia for her age (72), living with my bipolar brother and we're looking into different options for her now.
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I wish I would have gotten more time with my own mother, but such is the way of life usually taking more than it gives. Stay strong, you as well OP.

Collection full of grails
Thank you! I gravitated towards the Wilson combat’s pretty quickly and just got lucky with people contacting me over time. I don’t think any of them were ever formally listed. Community was a big factor!

This community is something special. Lots of passerbys and people who view this place as nothing more than somewhere to make a buck or to get entertainment from but it's something more. I've come to appreciate it. Congrats on the knife and as someone going through tough family times, hang in there.
Thank you. To be quite honest I think I initially too saw opportunity to improve my own collection by always buying/selling, but eventually I came across someone who quite literally spent their days signing up for lottos and watching an email account for “in stock alerts” and then just throwing everything up on eBay. It bothered me quite a bit, but at the time it was almost hypocritical of me to be annoyed because I was selfishly buying knives just to further my own funds and then ultimately my own collection. That’s in the past but still. I’ve come to realize the community aspect is far more valuable than any knife “flip”.

Beautiful post and I couldn't agree more. Life is difficult sometimes and always subject to change, having a community full of friends can go a long way toward keeping you level (even when you least expect it). I'm well pleased for your grail score and the sprinkle of positivity that came with it, sounds like kismet to me!
Absolutely. The friends I’ve met through knives quite literally helped me through it more than people that live 5 minutes away. Priceless community to be a part of.

A lot of people here (especially in W&C) were there for me when I was going through serious medical and psychological issues. Great community. I've been fortunate to meet some members in person. Though I will say, in person they are even worse enablers than on the forum!
Hahaha, funny you mention that - I have a fishing trip planned with a fellow member and friend for a Dungeness crab fishing trip and then salmon fishing in Oregon for next Thursday! We’ll be meeting up with another member who coincidentally has a trip scheduled for the same time but different species. So we plan to get together afterwards, share and cook our catch, and show off our collections! Should be a great time.

I wish you and your family the best. Bipolar is a factor within some of my family members as well, and can make things extremely difficult. Just keep moving forward, keep those close to you informed, and keep one foot in front of the other. There’s definitely an aspect of disassociation by association; focusing on knives as a distraction - but it helped get me through it, and honestly was a glimmer of positivity in the midst of turmoil. No denial there. But, people handle things differently and uniquely.

Back