1 CRK Knife For 1 Year!

I would carry the same exact knife you choose to carry for a year.. Really we all know you don't need anything else and you picked the pinnacle. You can go round and round with different styles folders all day but for one for a whole year I think that is THEE knife.

Also, the G43 you just posted.. You seem to have great taste in EDC.. I am actually going to go to the gun show this weekend and pick one up for myself. Been thinking about the 43 for so long and your pic with the Seb just made me finally take the time to pick the 43 up.. But.. I want to carry in a OWB leather holster.. (I am to old to care anymore what people think about open carry). If you have any ideas on a "leather" OWB for this gun please let me know your thoughts.

I would carry the same exact knife you choose to carry for a year.. Really we all know you don't need anything else and you picked the pinnacle. You can go round and round with different styles folders all day but for one for a whole year I think that is THEE knife.

I agree. Really the only choice was between a small and a large. IF I would have went the small route, I might have been inclined to go with the Insingo blade, partially for the nostalgia of it being the one knife I carried before. Since I have grown to prefer the larges, the drop point was the easy decision, at least for me.

Also, the G43 you just posted.. You seem to have great taste in EDC.. I am actually going to go to the gun show this weekend and pick one up for myself. Been thinking about the 43 for so long and your pic with the Seb just made me finally take the time to pick the 43 up.. But.. I want to carry in a OWB leather holster.. (I am to old to care anymore what people think about open carry). If you have any ideas on a "leather" OWB for this gun please let me know your thoughts.

The choice between a 43 and a 19 is a close one as well. I REALLY love how easy the 43 is to carry, and with the +2 mag extensions from Taran Tactical, I have 8 rounds to work with, plus another 8 in the spare mag I carry. The typical home defense/winter carry for me is a 19, but the 43 gives up nothing in terms of accuracy to it.

As far as holsters go, I LOVE the Dale Fricke Archangel and have used nothing other than his holsters and mag carriers ever since I started carrying Appendix IWB. I prefer Kydex due to the light weight, durability and easy cleaning. Plus the fact that it won't swell in humidity. I think the best leather holster is made by Milt Sparks, but they are not cheap. A Versa Max 2 for a 43 will set you back about $160. About the only leather OWB holsters I've heard of for Glocks are either the Galco or DeSantis. You can pick those up for about 1/2 the price, and either should work well for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I couldn't do it.
I could possibly go back to carrying just one knife at a time, if I found a compelling reason to do so; and I know I could carry the same knife for a year, because I've done it for longer (it was the right knife at the time)...but for me to consider doing it with a large 21, it would have to have inlays.
And I don't like natural micarta; so I wouldn't want it to have that.
Enjoy your journey!

That’s a great knife it should work will for you if you don’t get bored with the same knife. There has been four knives for me that have been in my pocket for over a year at a time. First was a Gerber ez out that was many year ago. Then a left handed Kershaw random task which was in my pocket for over two years. Then came a Micro Tech LUDT and the last one that made it over a year was a left hand SnG Tanto. That was several years ago but most of the time I go a few months before I change blades. But for the last few months its been a lefty Inkosi canvas micarta with an Insingo blade and it might make it over a year as I real like this knife. I look forward to seeing your pictures as time goes on.

Last edited:
Great idea. You most certainly chose a great knife for EDC. I look forward to hearing of your travels. Thanks for sharing the journey with all of us CRK nuts!

It's a good knife, a great pick, but you gotta get rid of that crk edge and put something useful on. Do yourself a favour. Have fun.

Does a machete for “yard work” count?
Yes, I definitely feel that falls under the "Special Fixed Knife" exemption!

Great idea. You most certainly chose a great knife for EDC. I look forward to hearing of your travels. Thanks for sharing the journey with all of us CRK nuts!
Hope it's an interesting thread, or at least an interesting topic. I'm sure the pictures will help it out as well.

It's a good knife, a great pick, but you gotta get rid of that crk edge and put something useful on. Do yourself a favour. Have fun.
Agreed. As soon as I get a new CRK it gets cleaned, sharpened and re-lubed. This one now sports a traditional V-edge with a 3 micron finish. Night and day difference!

Sergeua Sergeua Glock Guy Glock Guy

Its the only way to go.

Full tune up and sharpening the Bella blades way.

Just finished mine up to about 19DPS .

Finished at 1200 ceramic , .5 micron smooth leather with a quick smooch on the bare suede.

View attachment 990319
Here is my sebbie before and after.
nptxhzo.png

^best I could focus on this convexed affair ^.
There is this white line on top also. I see it on a lot of them out of box...
8VnyoOL.png

^here is after^ with freehand. I went ahead and refined it more later.

Sfy6RjYh.jpg

Not sure what angle it is. I lowered the angle since then to something more natural for me, but the bevel didn't get much wider at all as this blade doesn't really thicken.
It's a fun knife to sharpen.

Came to me looking something like this https://i.imgur.com/LUtHnl6.jpg
I couldn't cut good with it and I could see the edge reflecting light after a little bit of cutting. I don't know maybe they tried touching it up at the store I got it from.

Last edited:
Good luck to you on your quest! I tried coming up with a one-knife per month scheme but couldn't even do that. I carry larges on weekends and smalls during the week so it'd have to be two knives. Not taking a large CRK to the office with me everyday.

September 28th, 2018:

Here's a shot of her with a soon to be mutilated pumpkin. The kids will do the carving on this, but the Seb may see a little action. You can see the new edge pretty nicely in this picture as well.

tEUccQG.jpg

GREASE:
Here's a quick opinion on lube since it seems to come up a lot both here and on the gun forums. While I have used, and been happy with, the standard CRK grease, I believe I have found something better. The stock CRK grease works well, but seems to dry out and loose some of it's smoothness after a while. That's the main reason I, and I'm sure a lot of others here, take the knife apart when they get a new one and clean and re-lube it when they start to carry it. And while the CRK grease is designed to work in that drier state, my lube of choice is now: Ballistol.

I learned about Ballistol from the gun world. Anybody that has a Glock has probably seen Hickok_45 talking about it as he's used it forever on his Glocks. After trying several different greases, I feel that the Sebenza works better with a thick oil instead of a grease. This is where Ballistol shines. It's an oil, but if you leave it for a while it thickens, or coagulates into a very thin grease that looks like a cross between Chapstick and Vasoline, so it doesn't migrate like typical oil does.

Another key benefit that I've noticed with my guns that will hopefully carry over to the knife is that repeated use seems to "season" the surface. Hickok uses the analogy that it's like what happens to a cast iron skillet over time. I can confirm that this does, in fact, hold true with the Glock barrels I use it on, but since this is the first time I've used it on a Sebenza, I'll need a few months to see if that develops here.

One final note: Get the thicker, non-aerosol version of Ballistol. The spray can is too light a coating, but I have found the pour bottles to work very well. I simply pour some into a small needle oiler that you can get from Brownell's or even off ebay or Amazon, and that works perfectly. After a thorough cleaning of all the parts, I apply ONE DROP to each side of the blade and spread it out evenly over the blade, washer surfaces, and pivot bushing with a small model paint brush. This allows and even coating and prevents you from using too much, as just a light and even coat is all you need. Using too much won't affect the action, but will allow the knife to pick up a bunch more crap from your pocket. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Like I said, I've tried tons of different lubes for both knives and guns, and so far this stuff has really impressed me!

Back