1 line Buck 103 sheath

topgun03

Gold Member
Is a fold over sheath with “BUCK” on the front metal snap and a smooth black rivet on the back, a period correct sheath for a 1 line Model 103?

iOTLIoC.jpg

Yes, if it's a 1964, not a barrel nut model. That can be found in BCCI May 2001 newsletter. Yours has a visible pen in the pommel. A handsome 103.
If it is a barrel nut (before May 1963)then it should have a keeper strap sheath. DM

Thanks for pointing me to the correct newsletter. I had tried the search function on the BCCI website without luck. I think I’m gonna buy the 103.

Those are a hard model to find. I searched for years before finding a barrel nut model. DM

I would associate the smooth black rivet with the mid to late 2 line period.

I would associate the smooth black rivet with the mid to late 2 line period.
The newsletter David pointed me to talks about Buck switching suppliers in 1967. The new supplier used plain snaps, stamped the model# on the belt loop and used a concave silver rivet on the belt loop. The sheath for this particular 103 has “BUCK” stamped snap, no model stamped on the belt loop and a flat black rivet. The belt loop has tooling marks.

I would love to find a barrel nut 103.:thumbsup:

Not trying to derail the topic as I understand it is about a 103. But Haebbie shows a 105 barrel nut in his photo below the 103.
Here is the same knife with the correct sheath to look for. These came out in 1961. DM
barrel nut sheath.jpg100_2203.JPG
100_2205.JPG

Last edited:
Will dig out the fitting sheath shortly.
give me a day or two, please.

Haebbie

I now have the knife in my first post in hand so I’ll get some photos of it and its sheath this weekend, might even have something else to photograph if it gets here in time.

Back