1 or 2?

Got a Ontario Rat 3 not too long ago and really like it. I have been on the fence about my next purchase. After the dust up in a certain thread over the last few days I have rearranged my want list priorities somewhat and have decided to get an Izulu. To those who have both what are your recommendations?

The 2 has a longer handle I think? Does anyone have a preference as to which micarta handle is more comfortable? I will be adding that to which ever one I choose. I also will be adding the metal clip plate as I don't wear a belt much. Will that fit both sheaths?

Sorry for all the newb questions. Just got tired of looking around for the answers and thought I would bring it to the experts.

Liveitloud, the handle on the 2 is longer and IMO is more comfortable than the regular Izula with or without the scales, that didn't stop me from buying a grey Izula yesterday though :)
Also the handles come with the 2 but you have to purchase them seperate for the other and the sheaths are identical so the clip plate won't be any problem for you.

The 2 has a longer handle I think? Yes Does anyone have a preference as to which micarta handle is more comfortable? I will be adding that to which ever one I choose.The 'II' comes from the factory with scales(handle) attached I also will be adding the metal clip plate as I don't wear a belt much. Will that fit both sheaths?Yes, both knives use the same sheath

Sorry for all the newb questions. Just got tired of looking around for the answers and thought I would bring it to the experts.
I have both Izzys and have used both of them for a variety of tasks but I still don't have a preference. Buy one of each - they're small:D

Can't go wrong either way. Depends what you want to do with the knife. If a larger handle won't ever be a disadvantage, go with the II.

Liveitloud, the handle on the 2 is longer and IMO is more comfortable than the regular Izula with or without the scales, that didn't stop me from buying a grey Izula yesterday though :)
Also the handles come with the 2 but you have to purchase them seperate for the other and the sheaths are identical so the clip plate won't be any problem for you.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and picked up the 2 with a clip plate. Thanks again to Jim Howe at Howes for another perfect transaction. Can't wait to get this one. Now off to pick up some beverages for the game later. :D

You can't go wrong either way but with the scales and clip plate, you can get a full Izula II kit for less than purchasing the original Izula, scales, and clip plate seperately. The only thing that might change your mind is that the original Izula is available in a number of colors and the II is only available in black (for now I'd guess).

If you're going with scales, the 2 was the way to go. If you need something small and compact, the original recipe is the way to cook it.

of course.... why just have one?

5270609928_e0728768df_z.jpg

Stop encouraging that. Summer is coming and I'd like to buy some more crap for my motorcycle. If they start making all kinds of SS stuff I'm doomed.

You can't go wrong either way but with the scales and clip plate, you can get a full Izula II kit for less than purchasing the original Izula, scales, and clip plate seperately.

My Izzy came with a clip plate included in the kit for ~$60. To get the Izzy 2 with the same kit it's ~$16 more. To get the scales for the Izzy will even out the price pretty much. So it really comes down to needing or not needing the extra handle length. :thumbup:

You can't go wrong either way but with the scales and clip plate, you can get a full Izula II kit for less than purchasing the original Izula, scales, and clip plate seperately. The only thing that might change your mind is that the original Izula is available in a number of colors and the II is only available in black (for now I'd guess).

I wanted the black so that worked out perfectly. I may do a strip and patina at some point but for now, black it is. The extra handle length was really the tipping point for me. I measured a couple of knives that the handles just don't feel comfortable and they are all ones with shorter handles. I think this one will be perfect.

I'm sure you know...but it sounds like the forum knife is going to be an Izula 2. So you might end up buying another one pretty soon.

So today was a pretty good ESEE day. Went to the mailbox and had a rat pack card in one envelope and a box with an Izulu II. I rarely am really impressed with something right out of the box but this knife is just amazing. The curve up top makes the knife really fit the hand well.

For its small demeanor it really fills up the hand and feels like a much bigger knife than it is. Multiple grips are just perfect and it truly feels like a work horse. Honestly, I really wasn't expecting that much.

I got the clip plate for the sheath so I can carry lefty. The sheath is super tight and I have to bang the corner of it on something to get the blade to pop out. At this point I can pull the sheath, clip and all off of my pants and the knife won't disengage.

I figure it will loosen up after some playing with it. I am really glad I went with the Izulu II because the handle length is perfect! Any less would have put me in the boat I was in with a few other knives.

Okay I'll quit rambling as I know an Izulu is pretty basic to you guys but I am really excited about this one and can't wait to put it through the paces.

A few shots...

Izulu2.jpg

Izulu.jpg

Izulu1.jpg

Izulu3.jpg

For those of you have a I and a II, do you find that you prefer one over the other?

I got the clip plate for the sheath so I can carry lefty. The sheath is super tight and I have to bang the corner of it on something to get the blade to pop out. At this point I can pull the sheath, clip and all off of my pants and the knife won't disengage.

There are 2 little "posts" just inside the top of the sheath that hold the knife. Use that new knife to carve a little off of each "post" and retry the knife in the sheath. Repeat as necessary until you get the tension you want.

For those of you have a I and a II, do you find that you prefer one over the other?

depending on the situation, not really. For me, they both fit my hand well. I wrap all of mine, but If i was going scales, I'd go 2 for sure.

There are 2 little "posts" just inside the top of the sheath that hold the knife. Use that new knife to carve a little off of each "post" and retry the knife in the sheath. Repeat as necessary until you get the tension you want.

Hey thanks Tango. Did not have to go that route. 3 beers, 68 times removed from sheath and all is good. Thumb is numb as hell but it has loosened up now.

Back